RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:15:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Dreamcast console issue 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dreamcast console issue  (Read 3275 times)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« on: March 03, 2016, 04:53:45 PM »

I recently bought a Dreamcast with no power cord. I ordered one from Ebay but instead of the circle/square connector it was circle/circle. I'm guessing this does not relate to the issue I have at all but I'm throwing this out there in case it does. The Dreamcast itself is flaky. Some games don't play, other games play one time but than another time they don't.  I'm guessing a laser issue?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 05:11:24 PM »

It means that the cord you have isn't polarized. Pretty sure that you just need something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/C2G...ed-IEC320C7/dp/B0002J26LA

Sounds like a laser seek issue, like your laser either is getting stuck or can't read the discs.
Or, you know, stop buying Sega consoles. Seems like you have bad luck with them.

mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 06:22:21 PM »

Try gently cleaning the lens with some rubbing alcohol on a cotton bud.
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 12:21:22 AM »

Try gently cleaning the lens with some rubbing alcohol on a cotton bud.

Tried that already.  I tried calibrating the Dreamcast with the pot on the laser but to no avail.  I couldn't get it to work consistently.  I think I need a new GD-ROM assembly.

SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 12:23:20 AM »

It means that the cord you have isn't polarized. Pretty sure that you just need something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/C2G...ed-IEC320C7/dp/B0002J26LA

Does it matter if it is polarized?

Sounds like a laser seek issue, like your laser either is getting stuck or can't read the discs.
Or, you know, stop buying Sega consoles. Seems like you have bad luck with them.

Why so mean? Sad

SMS set complete!
sydpinkfloyd
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 05:07:02 PM »

My friend has had a similar problem with his Dreamcast. I haven't tried mine in years, but I hear that the laser wears out quicker if you use burned games often (as I have for years).

Not sure how easy it is to find a replacement laser, but that may be your best option. Best of luck!
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 08:03:44 PM »

With the odd GD-ROM format, looking for a parts console is probably the only way to go. You could always mod to play from SD.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 12:04:09 AM »

With the odd GD-ROM format, looking for a parts console is probably the only way to go. You could always mod to play from SD.

Yeah, I've read about modding to play from SD but it's not the same.  It's not original!!!  Just like my SMS power supply issue,  3rd party just isn't the same.

SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 12:09:02 PM »

So I blew out the laser with canned air and cleaned it with alcohol.  It worked 95% with next 7-10 games but after this it quit working at all.  I think I'm calling this one "dead' unless someone else has any suggestions.

SMS set complete!
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 09:05:04 PM »

There is probably a pot on the laser that you can try to adjust. Tiny turns and retest. I think I have a spare Dreamcast I'd let go if you're looking for another.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 09:36:20 PM »

There is probably a pot on the laser that you can try to adjust. Tiny turns and retest. I think I have a spare Dreamcast I'd let go if you're looking for another.

I've tried the pot, I didn't try too long, though.  I still have my original Dreamcast, this is the one I got in the lot I posted about a week or two ago so it isn't too bad considering what I payed.  It would have been nice to have a backup or trad bait, though, instead of a paper weight. Sad

SMS set complete!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length