RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:38:31 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | PSA: Critics are stupid, as usual! Mighty No. 9 is a good game! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: PSA: Critics are stupid, as usual! Mighty No. 9 is a good game!  (Read 6665 times)
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2016, 02:47:04 AM »

I donated a bunch of money to this game. I think I wasted that money. Awful AWFUL game. A game that does not understand what Mega Man is
ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2016, 03:09:48 AM »

I donated a bunch of money to this game. I think I wasted that money. Awful AWFUL game. A game that does not understand what Mega Man is

You are entitled to your opinion, but fact is fact. It's a very good game, and a more-than-worthy successor to Mega Man.

[img width=300 height=70]https://image.ibb.co/fSULkF/Signature_zpsfvzatdip.png[/img]
slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2016, 06:47:31 AM »

I've quite enjoyed it so far. Got it now on two systems.  Not earthshaking, but pretty much exactly what I wanted/expected. I truly think that if it had not had the negative history behind it and simply released like a typical game, at its current budget price, reviews would have been higher and it would have been more highly thought of. Expectations and frustrations have built an idol this game could never attain.

Could it be better? Of course. But the released game is, IMO, fun and worthwhile.

Keelah se'lai
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2016, 04:21:31 PM »

You are entitled to your opinion, but fact is fact. It's a very good game, and a more-than-worthy successor to Mega Man.
Fact is it's not a good game but you're entitled to enjoy it.
Great music but the game is garbage. This game wants to be Mega Man but it doesn't understand what Mega Man is. You can beat the bosses without using a power up at all. That makes the entire game pointless. The level design is sporadic which again is not Mega Man. MM taught you everything you needed to know by level design without cut scenes to tell you. Mega Man has a consistent difficulty. Mighty No 9 is all over the place. Easy one moment  and  hard the next SEEMINGLY. It's not the kind of hard that teaches a player like say even Castlevania (8-16 bit era). It taught you as you played.

Mighty No. 9 feels like someone in the pS2 era wanted to clone Mega Man but had no idea how to make a Mega Man game. Like the dash mechanic in this..they removed the reason it's even there midway into development It's kind of pointless half the time. It's biggest selling point isn't needed for most of gameplay. To see what Mighty No. 9 SHOULD have been check out a PSP game called Mega Man powered up. While that game had the stupid VA stuff overall It understood Mega Man in every other faucet. Not a fan of the art style but it's challenging and each level teaches the player so that if you mess up it's your fault the second time. If you die in Mighty No 9 it's often the games fault.

You just assume oh it's challenging but no. The game itself is easy but designed so poorly you think it's hard.Another one is Mega Man X. It teaches everything you need to know in the first level of the game by great level design. Mighty No. 9 uses a modern game trope in treating the player like a moron. 20XX on steam is not the prettiest game but it fully understands Mega Man Level Design. This is not opinion but observation in game design as a whole.
RobotWillie
Don't You Know Blackmail is Way Uncool
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2016, 02:17:36 AM »

^ I literally just got done watching a review and at the end of it  he says to buy 20XX instead. That its everything Mighty No. 9 is suppose to be, and that it itself is still in beta and is already a billion times better.

And you guys are literally like the only I have seen who like it, and I don't mean big name reviewers. I mean little reviewers who barely have any subscribers on youtube. This guy actually may have too much time to do this, but I should talk, I have too much time on my hands too. But its a 58 minute review on why he thinks it sucks. He only has 600 some odd subscribers. Thats not enough to suggest hes been paid off, 600 isn;t much in the world of Youtube reviews. But I think this video goes a bit over board. But then again, he too focuses a lot on the companies wrong doings over the course of the release of it.

I'm glad someone likes it, but even in the non-paid-to-review world you are a bit of a minority this time.

(Hey Adam)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 02:25:23 AM by RobotWillie » Logged

ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2016, 02:29:28 AM »

Fact is it's not a good game but you're entitled to enjoy it.
Great music but the game is garbage. This game wants to be Mega Man but it doesn't understand what Mega Man is. You can beat the bosses without using a power up at all. That makes the entire game pointless. The level design is sporadic which again is not Mega Man. MM taught you everything you needed to know by level design without cut scenes to tell you. Mega Man has a consistent difficulty. Mighty No 9 is all over the place. Easy one moment  and  hard the next SEEMINGLY. It's not the kind of hard that teaches a player like say even Castlevania (8-16 bit era). It taught you as you played.

Mighty No. 9 feels like someone in the pS2 era wanted to clone Mega Man but had no idea how to make a Mega Man game. Like the dash mechanic in this..they removed the reason it's even there midway into development It's kind of pointless half the time. It's biggest selling point isn't needed for most of gameplay. To see what Mighty No. 9 SHOULD have been check out a PSP game called Mega Man powered up. While that game had the stupid VA stuff overall It understood Mega Man in every other faucet. Not a fan of the art style but it's challenging and each level teaches the player so that if you mess up it's your fault the second time. If you die in Mighty No 9 it's often the games fault.

You just assume oh it's challenging but no. The game itself is easy but designed so poorly you think it's hard.Another one is Mega Man X. It teaches everything you need to know in the first level of the game by great level design. Mighty No. 9 uses a modern game trope in treating the player like a moron. 20XX on steam is not the prettiest game but it fully understands Mega Man Level Design. This is not opinion but observation in game design as a whole.

Your argument is crap. It does not want to be Mega Man, but it does know what Mega Man is. It *was* conceptualized by one of the creators of Mega Man after all. And the fact that you can beat the bosses without power-ups (which you stated yourself) does not make the game pointless. In fact, your own argument becomes invalid right there, as you said it should have been Mega Man Powered Up, which outright encourages the player to defeat the bosses without power-ups. Also, because Mighty No. 9 has varied difficulty, it should keep the player all the more interested. Also, it's not like a cutscene was easy to create in the days of the NES. The player was forced to learn on they're own because of technical limitations. While this is not necessarily a bad thing, not everyone who plays video games came from that time. Therefore, it was ultimately the correct decision to teach the player how to play this game in the way that it did. Unfortunately, I cannot counter your level design argument, because as someone who has played around with RPG Maker in the past, I never could design a map/level worth anything. I always had a friend help me there.

Moving on, the dash mechanic is absolutely needed. You cannot defeat a boss without it, and there are times throughout the whole game where you need it to get past certain obstacles. In the end, your "observation in game design as a whole" actually seems to be nostalgia blinding you. Without question, I am all for nostalgia and fine memories, but it is an error to become blinded by it. Gaming must move forward. I am a Mega Man fan to the end, and I was so upset when Mega Man Legends 3 was canned. But the only way to go is forward, and that is exactly what Mighty No. 9 has done.

We can continue this debate if you want. That's all this is to me: a debate. I am not out to start an all-out war, especially on this fine site.

[img width=300 height=70]https://image.ibb.co/fSULkF/Signature_zpsfvzatdip.png[/img]
slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2016, 11:48:15 AM »

Gentlemen, gentlemen.  Let's just all agree that Overwatch is better than Battleborn, despite the two games being almost nothing alike in game design, actual gameplay objectives, art style, game modes, or anything else directly comparable.  Since these two games cannot be directly compared, let's compare them anyway and say one is better. 

Wait, what subjective argument were we on? Oh yeah. Same-type stuff.  Yeah, Coke is obviously better than Pepsi.  Thank goodness everyone's taste-buds are the same, so we can all agree Mello Yello is superior anyway. Cheesy

Sure, Mighty No.9 isn't perfect.  I still enjoy it better than half of Mega Man Legacy Collection.  (For fun I won't mention which three.)  There is no "fact" about what's fun or not, or even what constitutes a 'good' game to absolutely everyone.  (I think Sewer Shark is a good game, and I know I'm in the minority there.)   Some like MN9 (Redd, myself, quite a few folks who played it at our place) and there are those who don't. 

I appreciate folks chiming in with their thoughts and preferences, even backing up specific reasons for such.  And most of us have been frustrated with a game or two we think didn't get a fair shake, or an under-rated game people don't talk about much.  But fact is not, by definition, subjectivity changed by popular opinion.  It is a fact that many who have played MN9 at our place have enjoyed it.  It is a fact that many people who have reviewed the game online did not like it overall.  What cannot be established as fact is whether or not a game is "fun" period, or "good" to an individual preference.  It will always depend on the person.

Please, let's actively pursue keeping RFG civil and not devolving into constant stream of negative nonsense that so many other gaming sites have become. If someone doesn't like a game, is disappointed in a game, wants to rant about a game, go for it.  But let's not tell anyone their fun is "right" or "wrong" or that they are "right" or "wrong" for disliking a game.  Save that talk for the political forums. Wink   

Keelah se'lai
ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2016, 12:34:11 PM »

slackur, you are the only person on this planet who has ever defied my logic and had me agree. I read your entire post above 3 times, but I can't argue it (nor do I really want to do that anyway). You are right, plain and simple. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised though. You have over 6000 Games, 3 blue stars, and (from what I know) a brilliant mind.

That said, I will not continue my debate, as originally stated. Smiley I am choosing to walk away from this thread, which I originally started out of anger anyway.

slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2016, 12:43:27 PM »

Nothin' but love for ya,  Redd. And I appreciate your presence here. Smiley

Keelah se'lai
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length