RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:12:17 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | August 2016 Community Playthrough - Legend of Zelda & Jaws (NES) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print
Author Topic: August 2016 Community Playthrough - Legend of Zelda & Jaws (NES)  (Read 38727 times)
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #150 on: August 25, 2016, 09:45:48 AM »

Never had to leave a dungeon to get bombs and never had to buy bombs or a key in this game.

Even when you were still a young green banana? I've run out of bombs plenty of times in the 2nd quest due to not knowing where the secret rooms that are not labeled on the map are and because I find them very handy in a room full of darknuts.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #151 on: August 25, 2016, 09:53:41 AM »

Never had to leave a dungeon to get bombs and never had to buy bombs or a key in this game.

Even when you were still a young green banana? I've run out of bombs plenty of times in the 2nd quest due to not knowing where the secret rooms that are not labeled on the map are and because I find them very handy in a room full of darknuts.

Nope, never.  If I run out of bombs, I simply grind for them. Never purchased them from the shop.  I ran out of bombs several times in one of the 2nd quest dungeons this month.  I just kept circling around the dungeon and grinding for them.  Enemies repop at an okay rate.  Also, I never use them on Darknuts. I've become really accustomed to their patterns over the years and take them down relatively easy.  Wizzrobes are the bane of my existence...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 09:55:24 AM by singlebanana » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #152 on: August 25, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »

Hmm, I backtracked in the dungeon hoping an enemy would drop me some bombs (or I'd find a key) but I didn't have any luck. I'll look harder.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #153 on: August 25, 2016, 10:52:47 AM »

Hmm, I backtracked in the dungeon hoping an enemy would drop me some bombs (or I'd find a key) but I didn't have any luck. I'll look harder.

Use a dungeon map if you get stuck.  Please do what you can to enjoy the game during the month.  As I think I've mentioned, a month is not really enough time to fully explore and finish the game as a new player without a guide.  This game took me months and months to finish as a kid.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2016, 04:01:27 PM »

WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Second Quest down!

[img width=700 height=393]http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y359/necrom99/Playthroughs/IMG_20160824_242655268_zpscq9ijbaq.jpg[/img]

Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #155 on: August 26, 2016, 02:00:51 PM »

Went back to give dungeon 5 another shot and... realized I had forgotten to save after dungeon 4. Dammit. Replayed that, then when I went into 5 fresh, I had no issues with bombs or keys and got through rather easily.

Dungeon 6 seems like a huge step up in difficulty though. Lots of rooms filled with those Wizard things and I think my good shield got eaten at some point. I may need to go grab a red potion.

The looping overworld music is starting to get on my nerves.
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #156 on: August 26, 2016, 02:11:28 PM »

@singlebanana: Congrats!

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #157 on: August 26, 2016, 02:14:29 PM »

Playing it on my 3DS doesn't have the same feel as the nes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #158 on: August 26, 2016, 02:18:29 PM »

Dungeon 6 seems like a huge step up in difficulty though. Lots of rooms filled with those Wizard things and I think my good shield got eaten at some point. I may need to go grab a red potion.

You are correct in that Dungeon 6 is a bit of a climb in difficult; Wizzrobes are my least favorite enemies. I would even argue that Lvl 5 is a giant step up, since I have vivid memories of how difficult it was to obtain the flute when I was a kid (damn rooms full of Darknuts).  I will say that some of that difficulty falls off in the last two dungeons before you hit the last dungeon; maybe Miyamoto was feeling generous.  Level 7 brings back some easier familiar enemies and besides Darknuts, Lvl 8 is more of the same (with multiple bosses). However, I'm pretty sure you don't encounter Wizzrobes again until the final level.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #159 on: August 27, 2016, 08:16:53 AM »

@Banana - Only 12 deaths in the 2nd quest? Very impressive!

The looping overworld music is starting to get on my nerves.
I think you're at the point, especially since you're new to the game, where you will be buying a TON of Red Potions. Maybe even needing to restock 2, 3, or 4 times per dungeon. That tends to be frustrating for a beginner because grinding for rupies can take a bit of time unless you know which bushes to burn and mountains to bomb for the secret Moblin spots.

Really, the music? I'm not saying it's the greatest song in the VG world, but it is one of the most iconic. At least it doesn't loop as quickly as the dungeon music.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 08:20:40 AM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length