RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:32:05 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | question about non-standard game boxes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: question about non-standard game boxes  (Read 2014 times)
lwizardl
N-Gage

Stats
« on: October 04, 2016, 07:23:32 PM »

So I am looking to redo the game room setup and could use some information about the non-standard sized boxes. By standard is what I would call the default and most common sized boxes used on the system.

Examples
 Standard NES:  TMNT 2 The Arcade Game
 Non-Standard NES: Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego

What I was wondering is if anyone that has any of the odd or non-standard boxes would be willing to get me the dimensions of them so I can work out what type of shelves I will need for that system.

Systems that I would say I have atleast one of the common standard sized boxes in the collection so far, and if I have any of the odd shaped ones.

3DO (Long box, jewel case)
Amiga CD32 (Jewel case)
Atari 7800
Atari Jaguar
Atari Jaguar CD (blue thunder)
Atari Lynx
Bandai WonderSwan
Bandai WonderSwan Color
WonderSwan Crystal
DVD (Generic amaray cases)
Magnavox Odyssey2
Mattel Intellivision
Microsoft Xbox
Microsoft Xbox 360
Microsoft Xbox One
NEC Turbografx 16
Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo DS
Nintendo Game Boy (american and japanese)
Nintendo Game Boy Advance (american and japanese)
Nintendo Game Boy Color
Nintendo Game Cube
Nintendo N64
Nintendo NES
Nintendo SNES
Nintendo Wii
Philips CDI
Sega 32X
Sega Dreamcast
Sega Game Gear
Sega Genesis (standard, slip box, cardboard box)
Sega Master System (standard and mycard)
Sega Saturn (long box and jewel case)
Sega Sega CD
Sinclair Spectrum (audio case)
SNK Neo Geo CD
SNK Neo Geo MVS
SNK Neo Geo Pocket
Sony PS1 (long box and jewel case)
Sony PS2 (standard dvd)
Sony PS3 (standard bluray)
Sony PSP
Sony Vita
VHS (slip cover, disney clamshell)
Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 07:46:50 AM »

PSP  - Persona 2 Innocent Sin (US)      179mm x 130mm x 23mm (approx. 7in x 5.0625in x 1.0625in)

This is the only US oddball I could find.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 09:56:07 AM »

Atari 2600: Star Raiders with controller. There are others like this as well.
Genesis: They're all the same size for the cardboard ones.
SMS: They're all the same height.

Are you concerned with height or width as well?

lwizardl
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 10:36:49 AM »

PSP  - Persona 2 Innocent Sin (US)      179mm x 130mm x 23mm (approx. 7in x 5.0625in x 1.0625in)

This is the only US oddball I could find.

perfect thank you Raidou
Atari 2600: Star Raiders with controller. There are others like this as well.
Genesis: They're all the same size for the cardboard ones.
SMS: They're all the same height.

Are you concerned with height or width as well?

Yeah I'm looking for the dimensions of the case/box so I can figure out what size shelves I will need for those systems.
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 10:12:28 PM »

I was thinking about this and figured it would be good for everyone to figure these things out. Coming up with a plan to make it easy to see turned out to be easier than actually enacting the plan, ha.

I wanted to use the panoramic feature on my phone's camera to make an image where you were looking at each game head on. Then I was going to add some reference lines at different heights to make it easy to see how tall these boxes were in comparison to each other. The last couple weeks we've been moving stuff around a lot and I have a ton of stuff packed up so I was only able to get boxed games for this small group. It still shows some helpful info.

[img width=700 height=276]https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5754/30163102455_5dbb538e2e_c.jpg[/img]

If you click on the picture you should be able to view it full size on flickr. It is 4785x1889 pixels if you download it.
Edit: link:  https://flic.kr/p/MXpMuB

Systems from left to right:
The 3 Odyssey^2 board games, you'll need 6 1/2" for those
3DO
Vectrex
Intellivison
Master System (Genesis is same size) with hang tab
PC common small box
Gamecube (standard DVD sized)
VHS
NES
N64 on end
SNES on end
Special Edition Blue Ray
Genesis without hang tab
PS3
Blue Ray
Odyssey2
Brazil Odyssey^2
SNES on edge
N64 on edge
Game Boy Advance
Saturn (standard CD case size
DS

Note that SNES on end is 7" and INTV is 8" but it is hard to see the 1" difference in the picture.

Dimensions are not exact but are very close, if you only leave 5" for your SNES games it will be a tight fit.

Panorama does some weird things:

[img width=700 height=212]https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5686/29867633880_7267d1f03a_o.png[/img]
https://flic.kr/p/MviqYQ

I know the original question was about odd box sizes but this is what I had at the moment. Figure it's a start anyways.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 10:55:00 PM by nupoile » Logged
lwizardl
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 11:12:32 PM »

Thank you nupoile, I think what I will do is go measure each type and size variation I have and then if anyone has any game that doesn't fit those sizes I would like to get the dimensions if possible. A couple that I know I do not have and would be hard to find are things like nes (stackup, arkanoid, carmen sandiego), xbox (steel battilon), stuff like that
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 12:16:12 AM »

Honestly, i'd suggest planning separate shelves entirely for oversized boxes, especially things like steel battalion, or even things the size of big box PC games. most systems' games can fit on shelves that are designed with a Saturn game case in mind, at least in my collection that was the tallest standard case.

I built my own shelves a while back with gaps between the boards of 9" high, and a depth of 7", and that's more than enough space to hold every game in my collection except the oversized special editions. if i built them with only the largest special editions in mind, it would be really impractical because other than for those handfuls of games, the rest would have huge gaps above them.
lwizardl
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 12:30:37 AM »

I did the same and built shelves for the collections also. Build 2 generic racks for DVDs and these had to make shelves over a table in the other room due to the slanted ceilings in the room.

[img width=700 height=525]http://wizardsarcade.com/Media/Images/gameroom/01.jpg[/img]

Right now the tallest boxes I have are from 3DO or mvs shockbox. This is old picture had to sell off most of those boxed games but will rebuild when moved to the new house
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length