RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:25:05 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | RFGen's Top 20 Atari 2600 games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: RFGen's Top 20 Atari 2600 games  (Read 7774 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 08:09:41 PM »

incoming.... holy crap, almost missed this... *yikes*

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 10:10:46 PM »

incoming.... holy crap, almost missed this... *yikes*

Glad you remembered. Psyched to see your list

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2020, 11:23:15 PM »

So the Atari list ended up being very interesting because of some close finishes among some of the top games, but there were plenty of single votes to cover as well-

One 20th place vote

Outlaw

Asteroids

Montezuma's Revenge
- "A great little action platformer that even had me mapping out the rooms a few years ago.  Super challenging, but if you're good enough, you can clear a few tombs."

Sky Jinks - "No enemies, only obstacles. This might seem like a boring game, but it's more a zen flying experience. This is Pilotwings before that existed. Simplistic, but still fun to fly over the basic landscape."

One 19th place vote

Lock n Chase

Space Invaders
- "By the time I first played this game, there were so many more games with better graphics and action.  However, the game is a classic and the 2600 port is actually pretty good."

Donkey Kong - "This is a big nostalgia pick. There are much better versions of this game to play, but not knowing any better as a kid it was a lot of fun."

One 18th place vote

Keystone Kapers

Alien:
- Its a Pac-Man clone but with an Alien the movie skin. The gameplay plays pretty well enough to make it fun.  The real reason I like it is cause its Alien.

Dig Dug - Same as DK, a passable port, but great memories attached to it.

Q*bert - A solid version of the arcade game.

One 17th place vote

Grand Prix

California Games
- "A surprisingly fun title.  Hacky sack is a cool event, but the downhill BMX course is where the real fun is at."

One 16th place vote

Star Raiders - "How do you do a space ship simulation on the 2600? Include a peripheral with more buttons! This game shouldn't work on the 2600, but somehow manages to."

Flash Gordon - "a little more complex version of Defender with a cool theme attached to it."

One 15th place vote

Indy 500 - "Great two player action. Easy to pick-up and play."

Star Wars: the Arcade Game - "pretty impressive for the hardware port of the arcade classic"

One 14th place vote

Chopper Command

One 13th place vote

Crystal Castles

Beam Rider
- "an interesting take on the Galaga formula that locks you and your enemies onto a set of rails you can transfer between."

Solar Fox - "Another arcade port by CBS Electronics.  Fly your ship to collect cells and speed up and slow down to avoid enemy fire. Fast-paced and fun!"

One 12th place vote

Snoopy and the Red Baron

Spider-Man
- "takes the cool swinging from Pitfall and lets you scale building with it!"

One 11th place vote

Star Wars Return of the Jedi Death Star Battle - "a little bit Defender a little bit Yar's Revenge with a great Start Wars license thrown on top"

Mario Bros. - "A surprisingly good version of the Nintendo arcade game, despite being very scaled back. It retains the core game play, and is still a fun game."
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 11:27:07 PM by EZ Racer » Logged
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2020, 05:19:35 PM »

Single votes in the top 10-

One 10th place vote

Pengo - "A pretty nice arcade port that's on the more uncommon side.  Crush all the Snobees to clear a stage, but earn extra points by lining up the marked blocks before you do."

One 9th place vote

Maze Craze

Turmoil - "A fun little left to right shooter that doesn't get a lot of attention, but it loads of fun."

One 8th place vote

Breakout

Riddle of the Sphinx
- "A bold adventure on the console that, while somewhat obtuse, is fun to play and discover solutions to the game's puzzles."

Dark Cavern - "A bit of a Pac-Man clone with paralyzing spiders, guns, and killer robots.  Keep a good stock of ammo and take out as many robots as you can to score high."

One 7th place vote

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - "Its stupid but its kinda fun in a silly way."

One 6th place vote

Entombed - "One of my favorite games on the 2600 and it gets even better when in two player mode. Travel south through a scrolling maze, avoid enemies, and break walls when you get stuck.  Hit the top of the screen and it's game over."

One 5th place vote

Tempest - vector graphics were and still are super interesting to me.  The gameplay is quite fun as well.

One 4th place vote

Stampede

Megamania

Enduro
- "The best racing game on the 2600. Way ahead of its time, with changing day/night cycles and weather conditions, this game predated Outrun, and was a good precursor, with a very strong driving experience, even using the joystick, instead of the paddle controller."

One 3rd place vote

Frogs and Flies

One 2nd place vote

Chuck Norris Superkicks

Jawbreaker
- "A little known game from TigerVision.  Lots of fun playing as a big set of chompers and brushing your teeth after every stage still cracks me up."

Phoenix - "Had a friendly competition with singlebanana on this one years ago and got hooked. Had never played it prior to that and he turned me into it. Definitely consider it a must own on the system now."

That takes care of the single votes. More to come...
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2020, 07:34:23 AM »

Heartbroken Pheonix didn't make the list. Thought singlebanana at the least would have given it a spot in his 20 Sad

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2020, 01:54:46 PM »

I'm not familiar with the 2600 version of Phoenix. A bit of a blind spot for me in the library. I already see a lot of my picks that I didn't expect to make the top 20 listed above, so I'm curious to see how it shakes out.

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2020, 11:04:26 PM »

Its fun to see all these eclectic choices.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2020, 08:04:54 AM »

Here's what my list looked like:

1.Adventure - just enough complexity to make for a fun little adventure finding items, escaping dragons and getting to the castle. Really unique for the system.
2.Phoenix - Had a friendly competition with singlebanana on this one years ago and got hooked. Had never played it prior to that and he turned me into it. Definitely consider it a must own on the system now.
3. Kaboom! - Just a fun reflex reaction game. Looks like a precursor to a high level Guitar Hero style game when watching others play.
4. Frostbite - My first ever video game as a kid. Takes a little inspiration from Frogger and Q Bert to create it's own puzzle platforming game.
5. Pole Position - Rad Racer style game that was pretty darn impressive on the 2600
6. H.E.R.O. - cool little exploration action game
7. Moon Patrol - that dinosaur game when your browser can't connect to the internet, but still better than that in every way Wink
8. Yar's Revenge - simple concept shmup game in the vein of Galaga, but with its own unique style.
9. Pitfall! - such a vibrant and interesting game on the 2600. Very impressive for its time.
10. River Raid - my favorite pre NES scrolling shmup.
11. Star Wars Return of the Jedi Death Star Battle - a little bit Defender a little bit Yar's Revenge with a great Start Wars license thrown on top
12. Spider-Man - takes the cool swinging from Pitfall and lets you scale building with it!
13. Beam Rider - an interesting take on the Galaga formula that locks you and your enemies onto a set of rails you can transfer between.
14. Star Wars Empire Strikes Back - this is one of my favorite "Defender-clones". What better theme for that style of game than the battle of Hoth.
15. Star Wars Arcade - pretty impressive for the hardware port of the arcade classic
16. Flash Gordon - a little more complex version of Defender with a cool theme attached to it.
17. Missile Command - another ok port of the arcade game.
18. Dig Dug - Same as DK, a passable port, but great memories attached to it.
19. Donkey Kong - This is a big nostalgia pick. There are much better versions of this game to play, but not knowing any better as a kid it was a lot of fun.
20. Super Breakout - pretty slow and painful to go back to now, but growing up was a lot of fun

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2020, 01:20:32 PM »

Here's my list:

1. Yar's Revenge This was a tough decision between this and Pitfall! for my number 1 slot.  This game is loads of fun and takes some precision shots but it is so satisfy when you get that shot to hit it's mark.  This is definitely a game that you need to play if you haven't.
2. Pitfall!
3. Frogs and Flies
4. Stampede
5. Kaboom!
6. Combat  This, I believe, is the first game I have ever played.  My Grandma and Grandpa had an Atari 2600 and there was always excitement going to their house so we could play the Atari.  Playing with against my brothers and my cousins in the basement of their house was a blast and really brought us all together.  Such a great game and great fun.
7. Frogger
8. Breakout
9. Maze Craze
10. Kangaroo
11. Adventure
12. Centipede
13. Crystal Castles
14. Warlords
15. Haunted House
16. Berzerk
17. Circus
18. Keystone Kapers
19. Lock 'n' Chase
20. Asteroids

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2020, 04:32:22 PM »

Here is my list

1. Pitfall! : Great Fun Sound. The gameplay is out of this world, and is great for beginners and skilled players. Feels to me like I am on an actual jungle adventure while playing.
2. Yar's revenge : Very challenging gameplay. The amount of effort that went into the story is really awesome, of course you have to read it. But when you read the story before
                          playing the game really comes alive.
3. Combat : Classic, fun, competitive two player action. Many modes to play.
4.  Super Breakout : I have always loved these style of games from Breakout to Arkanoid.  Super Breakout is super fun, and things get fun and hectic. My favorite part is just
                              the simpleness of it and the concentration it takes.
5. Tempest: vector graphics were and still are super interesting to me.  The gameplay is quite fun as well.
6.  Frogger : Fun graphics, and absolutely great music
7.  Texas Chainsaw Massacre : Its stupid but its kinda fun in a silly way.
8.  Berzerk: Quite challenging fun gameplay. Like the robot run amok theme.
9.  Joust: A another fun two-player game
10. Circus Atari: It kind plays like breakout which I said before I really like.  This one just has scary clowns to add to the fun.
11. Haunted House: Haven't played too many adventure games on Atari. I played this one and Indian Jones. I like this one more than Indiana Jones.
12. Jungle Hunt: Its fun fast paced action keeps you on your toes. The sprites are great and fun to look at.
13. Pole Position: Great fun racing. I like the third person view, makes it easy to play.
14.  Moon Patrol: Nice side scroller that has great music
15.  Indy 500: Great two player action. Easy to pick-up and play.
16.  Demon Attack: Fun, I like it more than Space Invaders if we are comparing with other space shooters I have played.
17.  Missile Command: The game was fun and had this grim content about nuclear annihilation which was a real fear people had at the time. It made me feel heroic when I
                                  could beat a level without losing a city. I am terrible at this game.
18.  Alien: Its a Pac-Man clone but with an Alien the movie skin. The gameplay plays pretty well enough to make it fun.  The real reason I like it is cause its Alien.
19.  Empire Strikers Back: Plays like defender which is a fun game, I like this one a little more cause of the Star Wars sprites.
20.  River Raid:  nice sprites, fun fast paced action.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length