RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:04:58 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Underwater scenes in games suck 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Underwater scenes in games suck  (Read 1220 times)
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« on: August 07, 2005, 09:57:50 AM »

3 examples:

Sonic. The game is all about speed, but in the levels which are underwater there's none of this. It's like playing the game in slow motion. And you have to watch your air supply. It's very un-sonic.

Tomb Raider. I like the way the underwater levels look sometimes, but it does make it a lot harder to see what's going on. Controlling the shrew is a lot more difficult too (especially in combat) and there's the dreaded air supply again.

Morrowind. There's lots of water in Morrowind, which is good, because it makes it look like a real world, but it's mostly fun to look at, not to be in. Of course it looks and controls better than tomb raider, but it suffers from the same problems, lack of air supply, harder combat, less visibility.

Now I'm not saying there shouldn't be any underwater scenes in games, but only when it's absolutely necessary, not as a gameplay element on itself. I don't think any game actually got better by implementing underwater scenes in it.
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 11:21:20 AM »

I haven't played the underwater snenes in the games you mentioned but have played some in a few others.

Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex for PS2 and Crash Warped for PS1 both had several underwater scenes that were pretty good. these however did not have an air supply issue.

Nightmare Creatures has some underwater scenes and those are a pain as it's dark and difficult to tell which direction you've been.

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 12:37:00 PM »

I don't think all underwater scenes suck, but I do think that they are sometimes extremely frustrating. Playing Mario 64 for the first few times I found enticing the eel out of the ship in Jolly Roger Bay was fairly annoying. Rusty Bucket Bay in Banjo Kazooie also had the notes and jiggy behind the propeller blades that were extremely hard to get. I would have had 900 notes if it wasn't for that. Instead, I had 896.

Hello World.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 01:44:59 PM »

As far as i remember all of the Crash games have underwatder scenes.
Those arn't too bad.

I agree the Sonic/Tomb Raider/Morrowind underwater moments blow though.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 02:26:56 PM »

Yes, yes they do.

When shall his new form be revealed?
CatchFiveBats
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 02:55:58 PM »

I thought that the underwater scenes in Morrowind weren't that bad after you got your character to a decent level, but up until then they sucked.

- Zac
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 03:59:57 PM »

Yeah, they weren't always that bad, but worse than the land missions. And they don't really add anything to the game, they're never really fun. 'not sucking' isn't the kind of entertainment I want. It has to be better than that.
thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005, 11:22:11 PM »

I think that the underwater scenes in 688 Attack Sub are uneccesary. :p

10 PRINT "THX is still skill"
20 GOTO 10
30 REM 24th Sept 2017 ;-)

RUN
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: