RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:31:51 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | May 2019 Shmup Club - Gradius III (SNES/Arcade) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: May 2019 Shmup Club - Gradius III (SNES/Arcade)  (Read 21085 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2019, 10:41:38 AM »

@Normatron - yeah, don't get discouraged, I do the same thing. I make progress, then start to play horribly, then find a groove again, and move forward. Seems like it's a constant yo-yo effect with shmups for me.

@zoydo - nicely done! That's going to be a tough score to beat, considering how difficult the arcade original is.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2019, 06:31:47 AM »

SNES Version (On Normal):

I've only been able to make it to the Stage 3 boss in the Arcade version so far. It's very hard.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 06:34:40 AM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2019, 07:18:47 AM »

This is from my 3rd attempt:

Gradius has never been my favorite style of shmup. It's so crazy hard to recover after a death and get your ship beefed up again. Especially at certain points in the game if you die it's just so brutal. I'm pretty sure I can one life this game with a couple more tries though since as long as you get beefed up it's pretty hard to die when you know a few of the traps to watch out for. It's also got some mean design like near the final area when the roof and the floor close in on you.

I've been using the custom ship build and going with Hawk Wind, Tail Gunner, C Laser, Reduce and Mega Crush. Tried the shields on a run, but the reduce is more my style. Love that smaller hit box.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2019, 07:51:59 AM »

The C laser can destroy bosses very quick. I agree there are a couple of parts where memorization is needed especially in the last stage with the shadow walker.  The speed trap isn't bad as long as you have at least three speed powerups. The slowdown makes this game a lot easier than it should be.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2019, 02:27:40 PM »

I managed to get to Stage 9, to the dual walker dudes, but couldn't quite crack that. I did, however, get a nice new high score:

However, Ser Flash, of Studio Mudprints / Bullet Heaven is the one to beat right now! He managed to 1CC the game, and got a pretty good score in the process, per this tweet:
https://twitter.com/Serra...tatus/1128821468215877632

EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2019, 12:07:50 PM »

I haven't been able to beat my PB yet, but wondered if anyone else changes the button alignment for gameplay? I switch to Y as the firing button and B as the powerup button, and it feels a little more natural.
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2019, 04:23:23 PM »

This'll be my last go at the game. I really dislike several thing about Gradius/Lifeforce/Salamander but the thing I hate the most and I would probably put it quite high if I were to ever make a list of worst game mechanics of all time is the areas with wall you shoot and then they reassemble behind you. Infuriates me. I did had a great run up to the very final area and then those walls started popping up and just sapped away any fun I was having. I was probably less than 30 seconds from the end too. Does anybody like that part of Gradius?

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
dtungsten
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2019, 04:32:43 PM »

This was on easiest difficulty, trial mode on PSP, so it doesn't count for anything competitive, but I made it to the boss of level 3.

* 20190518_162559.jpg (490.49 KB, 1040x780 - viewed 403 times.)
VicViper_Mk2
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2019, 08:49:19 AM »

Hello guys, I watched GameboyGuru's stream on Gradius 3 and learned of the Shmup club. Gradius 3 was the 1st game a friend of mine gave me, who's also a big shmup nut. Even now I fire it up every 2 days to keep that rhythm going and listen to those timeless soundtrack.

For those of you who finds that recovery after a death is too difficult, here's a little tip I shared with Guru. Choose the Convert life to option powerup (the one directly above full barrier) It converts your extra lives (up to 4) into options, instantly boosting your firepower considerably. To do the math with just 7 power chips you'll save the need to get 20 for that 4 options, and then you only need 2 speed, missile, double/laser for a total of 4 power chips to reach full power. Of course to use this effectively you'll need to build up your life stock, best way is to go into the 5 bonus stages and collect the points and 1-up chips littered around.

Anyway, this is done on Normal, I'd play it on arcade difficulty if only I didn't have to break my thumb mashing the A button 16 times a second just to unlock it. Cheers.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 12:36:57 PM by VicViper_Mk2 » Logged
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2019, 04:15:24 PM »

I haven't been able to beat my PB yet, but wondered if anyone else changes the button alignment for gameplay? I switch to Y as the firing button and B as the powerup button, and it feels a little more natural.

I haven't yet, but that might actually help me with my new strategy, so I might have to try that!

This'll be my last go at the game. I really dislike several thing about Gradius/Lifeforce/Salamander but the thing I hate the most and I would probably put it quite high if I were to ever make a list of worst game mechanics of all time is the areas with wall you shoot and then they reassemble behind you. Infuriates me. I did had a great run up to the very final area and then those walls started popping up and just sapped away any fun I was having. I was probably less than 30 seconds from the end too. Does anybody like that part of Gradius?

I don't know anyone who likes that part of Gradius. I know I certainly don't. I wouldn't let it discourage you, though. Great score, and great showing!

Great scores, dtungsten and VicViper_Mk2! I really appreciate you guys jumping in and participating! Vic, you're definitely the one to beat t this point, at least on the SNES version on Normal!

dtungsten
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2019, 09:26:10 PM »

Difficulty 1 Easiest, Beginner mode, finished in one life. Wait level 2.

* 20190520_212109.jpg (497.88 KB, 1040x780 - viewed 332 times.)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2019, 08:33:16 AM »

Congrats on the clear, dtungsten!

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2019, 04:54:09 PM »

Haven't had much time with kids and such, but snuck in a quick run. Nothing too impressive, but I was experimenting with the C. Laser. The hit box on it is very weird, and you can definitely see that where you have to cut through the dirt and boulders. It doesn't even consistently drill a straight line.

dtungsten
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2019, 07:56:59 PM »

Score #3 was on normal difficulty level 4, beginner mode.

* 20190521_195419_HDR.jpg (406.38 KB, 1040x780 - viewed 289 times.)
dtungsten
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2019, 06:09:46 PM »

Difficulty level 3, easy. Completed beginner mode with no deaths. Score #2

* 20190523_180622.jpg (501.02 KB, 1040x780 - viewed 302 times.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length