RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:11:41 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | August 2021 Shmup Club - Galaga 88-90-91 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: August 2021 Shmup Club - Galaga 88-90-91  (Read 11992 times)
Corkman
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2021, 07:18:18 PM »

In Galaga '88, each level layout is fixed. However, enemy attacks appear randomized. There are three things that seem to be random:
-When an enemy shoots during the entrance wave
-When an enemy divebombs out of the entrance wave
-When an enemy descends from the swarm at the top of the screen
If I'm wrong about this, please call me out! But, if I'm not wrong, then this means you must adapt in the moment as each individual enemy advances. You can memorize stage layouts, but the activity within each stage will be different each playthrough.

Thanks for the info about randomness Golem. Helps me understand why I just get the "game over" pretty quick sometimes.

I'm starting to get a hang of this game and forming a strategy (in large thanks to the suggestions and gameplay by others). Here's my progress so far. I'm using rapid fire on
  both and starting out with double ships.

136350 pts on Switch arcade version

201660 pts on the TG 16 mini version

I'll keep playing. I think there's room for improvement in both cases.

Do not pursue Lu Bu!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2021, 05:44:28 AM »

Here is my craptastic hi score, got to level 7.  I suck:

[img width=700 height=525]https://i.imgur.com/la7SdI0.jpg[/img]

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2021, 12:07:51 AM »

Gone back a few steps but still not bad. Once you get hit that is about it for the game.

* 20210821_000425~2.jpg (1276.87 KB, 3000x2482 - viewed 279 times.)
Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2021, 12:09:51 AM »

My high scores as of right now

* 20210821_000809~2.jpg (1203.61 KB, 3000x2378 - viewed 271 times.)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2021, 10:30:52 PM »

I think we're going to split out scoring between the arcade and Turbo/PC Engine versions, just because of the difficulty difference. So for those wanting to try their hand at the arcade version, that will be a different category.

Golem
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2021, 03:55:39 PM »

Just a correction to my earlier post.

Random:
When enemies shoot during the entrance swoop
When enemies peel from the formation at the top of the screen

Fixed:
Which enemies divebomb from the entrance swoop
Which enemies are in formation at the top of the screen, along with their placement

Enemy divebombing is so quick, and enemies are so numerous, that divebombing appears random. However, the enemy formations per stage are fixed, and so you can't have enemies randomly divebombing--that would mean you have random formations. That said, you do still have enemies shooting randomly during that entrance swoop.

Got the dimension 4 clear this evening on normal difficulty:

Took me about 5 hours of practice after clearing dimension 3, and about 20 hours total of playing the game. I should mention I use a Memento-style practice regimen using save states:
-save scum to the final level
-clear the final three levels in one go
-clear the final six levels
-clear the final nine levels
-etc., working backwards, until...
-get the full clear
This drills in the final level without playing the first level to death. This way, I spend the most time practicing the hardest part, the final level. I also practice it with gradually higher levels of fatigue.

And don't forget the Restart Syndrome board, it would be cool if someone could unseat Master Kollision: https://www.restartsyndro...amp;mode=PCE%20-%20Normal

----

Some additional notes as I work through the level design:
-Bees are always at the top. Not too significant, although it means you are less likely to shoot it down by accident.
-Joining enemies have the greatest horizontal reach, from one side to the other. No other enemy can shoot or fly so far. This makes them the most dangerous enemy IMO.
-Every stage in a dimension has the same formation shape. The variation is in the formation composition.
-Every stage in a 3-stage set (e.g. stage 11, 12, 13) has the same formation composition. The difference between each stage is in the entrance swoops and the environment (where the rocks are).
  -Err, which means the scrolling stages are identical when you get to the part where the scrolling stops and the formation teleports in.
-I'm pretty sure fast mode (when enemies can advance from formation with a heightened flight speed) is triggered when 12 enemies remain. I only tested this on dimension 1, so take that with a grain of salt.
-Dimension-specific enemies shield enemies above them.
  -Fireworks drop droplets when in fast mode. These eat bullets.
  -Throwing star enemies have 3 health after advancing.
  -Balloonies always have 3 health. Plus, they grow in size, blocking bullets from a wider range.
  -Shield enemies block all bullets unless they are currently advancing out of formation.
-This last point leans into what makes Galaga work. Enemies lower in formation naturally protect enemies above them by being a meat shield. The dimension-specific enemies each have a unique way of being a meat shield. Additionally, each dimension higher has a more sturdy meat shield, until you get to the sometimes-invincible shield enemies of dimension 4.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 07:10:56 PM by Golem » Logged

FauxMacho
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2021, 01:39:21 PM »

Nudged my score yesterday to 270k but today had a huge leap to 445,140 (ending in Dimension 5, stage 19). Once I got to dimension 4, enemies got way faster and more aggressive, but the score also rockets up quickly. I've seen Ed/Bullet Heaven tweet out some 500k+ scores. I'm going to see if at the 11th hour tonight I can get another good run.

I've attempted staying low in Dimension 2, but the scoring is much lower I think that strategy is more for going for an easier 1CC.

* Galaga88_0831_FM.jpeg (40.94 KB, 240x427 - viewed 291 times.)
Corkman
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2021, 07:05:14 PM »

Nudged my score yesterday to 270k but today had a huge leap to 445,140 (ending in Dimension 5, stage 19). Once I got to dimension 4, enemies got way faster and more aggressive, but the score also rockets up quickly. I've seen Ed/Bullet Heaven tweet out some 500k+ scores. I'm going to see if at the 11th hour tonight I can get another good run.

I've attempted staying low in Dimension 2, but the scoring is much lower I think that strategy is more for going for an easier 1CC.

Wow! Nice job on the Switch arcade version. It's tough.

Do not pursue Lu Bu!
Corkman
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2021, 07:27:38 PM »

Well, I didn't make great progress on the second half of the month. I was consistently average but no higher in scores.

136350 - on Switch arcade version
   201660 - on TG16 mini version

I did enjoy playing a single screen shmup this month. I don't think I put as much time into one since I was a little kid playing Space Invaders on the Atari 2600.

This was my first time playing Galaga '88 and I'll definitely play it again on occasion. It was interesting to learn the little mechanics and tricks in this game like the big triple shot ship, the no hit bonus in the bonus round, and getting the dimensional warps from Gameboy Guru's and Bullet Heaven's streams. Thanks for streaming!

* galaga 88 switch.jpg (118.87 KB, 606x375 - viewed 282 times.)

* galaga 88 PCE.jpg (88.17 KB, 639x444 - viewed 285 times.)

Do not pursue Lu Bu!
MiniConsoleMan
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2021, 11:28:46 AM »

Not my most active month (As I was still hooked on completing PSX for the majority of this month) and although a classic game, it's one I probably won't return to often. Only managed a measly score of 111,670 on the PCE Mini. As always, it was fun to play along for a little bit and I look forward to hearing about other players experiences with the game.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length