RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:13:05 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Sony considers slashing price of PS3 console 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Sony considers slashing price of PS3 console  (Read 6424 times)
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2007, 12:42:16 AM »

Someone wake me up when we're back on topic...

sleeping sleeping sleeping sleeping sleeping sleeping sleeping sleeping sleeping sleeping sleeping sleeping sleeping sleeping sleeping sleeping

What was the topic about again?

I know this thread is old, but is Sony still considering a price drop?

And guys?? Let's try and stay on topic and away from flaming or fanboytastic remarks.

Thanks!

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2007, 04:15:11 AM »

I think they are going to have to do a price drop.
They officially announced they are going to be doigna price drop on their regular BluRay DVD players.

That was one of their original selling points was it not?
Thats the PS3 was a gaming system AND a bluray player that was cheaper than the other ones on the market at the time?

Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2007, 05:24:12 AM »

Well basically they drop the price soon or all is lost.
The longer they drag their feet on this one, the further behind the PS3 library gets.
Eventually no one is going to care too much how cheap it is if it still hasn't got more than two handfuls of games in a years time.

It's past the lie about your system and it'll sell stage.
If you listened to game stores here, there were meant to be 50 titles on release... I knew that was bogus right away, but some may of feel for it. Now the system is out, and the truth is in plain sight for everyone.

Cutting the cost is the only saving strategy that will work at the moment. A system not selling well, means not many game sales, not many game sales means game developers and publishers are less likely to even make games for it.

We have already seen most of it's exclusives go multi-platform, that should of been a wakeup call right there. Now may very well be their last chance to save the PS3.

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2007, 08:18:18 AM »

I think they are going to have to do a price drop.
They officially announced they are going to be doigna price drop on their regular BluRay DVD players.

That was one of their original selling points was it not?
Thats the PS3 was a gaming system AND a bluray player that was cheaper than the other ones on the market at the time?

Here's some of the latest pricing.

http://www.circuitcity.co...s=cust_rating_overall_avg

The problem with the HDDVD vs BluRay battle is going to be convincing the general public that they "need" to buy this media format. Back in the day, it's wasn't too difficult a sell to convince the public to move from VHS to DVD since DVD was becoming the industry standard. It's going to be tougher this time around because Joe and Jane Public are likely to ask: "Why do I need another DVD player?".

The next point is one that was brought up earlier regarding storage space. People are becoming more likely to be willing to download items to their hard drives rather than have another "thing" that they have to store in hard media format, taking up space in their homes; whether that's HDDVD or BluRay discs.

This becomes more of an issue for Sony since they've committed their PS3 system discs to the BluRay format. Therefore, if they don't issue a significant price cut (i.e. $200) before Holiday 2007, they're risking continuing to collect dust on store shelves unless some massive exclusives come their way that blow the doors off of anything Nintendo or Microsoft have planned; which is not likely at this point. And even if they do succeed in getting such software, they have to still be convincing to the general public that this format won't be dying out in a year or two to that of downloaded movie content if they're trying to still use BluRay as a selling tool.

Not an enviable position no matter how you slice it.

I agree 100% with Cobra Blade's assessment.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 02:02:50 AM by captain_nintendo » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length