RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:16:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Atari 2600 Restoration 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Atari 2600 Restoration  (Read 1375 times)
NESman93
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« on: February 10, 2008, 01:04:15 PM »

Would anyone know how to start Restoring an Atari 2600?

Now you're playing with power! Nintendo Power!

Consoles on my wishlist: Mega Drive (Japan), Genesis Model 1, Super Famicom, Famicom, SNES 2, NES 2, Neo Geo AES, 360, Intellivision, ColecoVision, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, GameCube
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 01:10:35 PM »

I'd start by taking it apart and cleaning the case of the system first.  Be gentle cleaning the board and contacts.  After a good cleaning, fire it up and see how it works.  From there it's finding parts for non-working ones.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 02:04:48 PM »

I'd start by buying a good one on ebay, then toss out the old one. Why would you want to restore it?
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 08:58:48 PM »

Just toss it out. It's old and outdated.

When shall his new form be revealed?
NESman93
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 03:50:15 PM »

It may be old and outdated but it still kicks all kinds of ass

Now you're playing with power! Nintendo Power!

Consoles on my wishlist: Mega Drive (Japan), Genesis Model 1, Super Famicom, Famicom, SNES 2, NES 2, Neo Geo AES, 360, Intellivision, ColecoVision, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, GameCube
cyberfluxor
Jaguar CD

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 08:31:04 PM »

Well, the cost and time required to figure out the problem and replacing that part is not worth it unless you have plenty of free time and don't mind messing around with it. The only real benefit is learning more about the hardware but that's it. If it were a prototype or some rare unit (not too familiar with the various VCS models) then I can see the value of repair, otherwise just chuck it or hang the circuit board on the wall of a computer/gaming room.

Collecting CIB 5200 Atari and Sega Saturn games.
Check out my domain
I will purge your base for resources.
Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 08:36:22 PM »

I guess it would depend what problems the Atari is having.  Restoring one of those can be anything from a simple resoldering to having to complete replace the board.

True it can end up costing you just as much if not more than buying a new unit, but it's still kind of fun to work on them.
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 09:55:46 AM »

I'd start by buying a good one on ebay, then toss out the old one. Why would you want to restore it?

Because it's fun to take a grubby old broken down system and get it working and all sparkling clean.

Tan
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 11:29:09 AM »

Because it's fun to take a grubby old broken down system and get it working and all sparkling clean.

That and there aren't nearly as many nice 2600's on eBay as there were 5 years ago, nor are they as cheap. You might as well clean up a free one then buy one and still have to clean it too.
dotDarkCloud (dDC)
Sega 32X
Canada

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 08:27:34 PM »

That and there aren't nearly as many nice 2600's on eBay as there were 5 years ago, nor are they as cheap. You might as well clean up a free one then buy one and still have to clean it too.
Not to mention, someone in my position has to pay a $%^& load on shipping Grin

I have a broken 2600, but I have no idea what is wrong with it...

[img width=572 height=151]http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa88/dotdarkcloud/dontforget.jpg[/img]

"...shut up, shut up, shut up.... You're all nuts! Shut up! Let me talk. " - Free Waterfall Jr.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length