RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:08:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | External hard drives 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: External hard drives  (Read 2660 times)
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« on: October 26, 2007, 02:06:59 PM »

I'm shopping for an external hard drive so I would like some input on deciding on what I want. 
I'll mostly be using it store the thousands of scans I've taken and I will also be using it to transfer the screenshots from my old PC with the video capture card to my laptop so I can submit them to the site.  I'll have other stuff as well, but it will pretty much be my RFG hard drive Wink

Anyway, I've looked around and decided I want at least 250GB for under $100.  I looked at Circuit City, Best Buy, Office Max, and Staples.  And these are what I found;
 Seagate 250GB FreeAgent - $100 - 60 month parts warranty.  4.8/5 customer review
 Western Digital 320GB My Book Essential Edition 2.0 External Hard Drive - $100 - 1 year parts warranty
 Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 250GB External Hard Drive - $90 - 1 year parts warranty & 1 year labor warranty. 4.6/5 customer review
 I/O Magic GigaBank 320GB External Hard Drive - $90 - 1 year parts warranty & 1 year labor warranty. 3.9/5 customer review.

Those were all from Circuit City but other stores had them, they were just more expensive.  I was leaning towards the I/O Magic, but some of the customer reviews sound awful.  Looks like there's a 30% chance of getting one that doesn't work right. 

BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 02:13:16 PM »

Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 250GB External Hard Drive - $90 - 1 year parts warranty & 1 year labor warranty. 4.6/5 customer review

I have the 500GB version of this one that I use with my new laptop, and so far I have loved it. Easy to set up, and it has a handy auto on/off feature. It also looks cool Smiley

Minnesota represent.
Wii - 3952 3192 4794 1209
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 04:53:38 PM »

I don't think anything can beat my 250GB I got from Microcenter for $30 after rebates.  It was $120 and had $90 worth of rebates.  Granted they were mail-in, but I ended up getting them eventually.  Hard drives can be had for cheap, you just have to find the sales and be looking at the right time.

Mine is BeyondMicro brand.  Never heard of them, but I've had it for several months so far and no problems yet.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
We will always keep it on channel 3!
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 02:43:51 PM »

I'm noticing now that some of these say that Windows 2000 is the minimum system requirement, while others don't say anything about it all.  Do you think they're still compatible with 98 and they just say that because MS doesn't support 98 anymore or will it not work at all with 98?

James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 04:22:10 PM »

Is Windows 98 FAT32 formatted? If so, that's probably why they say Win2000 or after because 2000, XP, Vista and all in between use NTFS formatting. FAT32 only allows file sizes up to 4GB but NTFS is unlimitted. I don't know about external hard drives but when you get a new internal one it comes unformatted and you can choose either FAT32 or NTFS in Windows. Some external hard drives are probably preformatted.
Tan
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 04:58:42 PM »

I'm noticing now that some of these say that Windows 2000 is the minimum system requirement, while others don't say anything about it all.  Do you think they're still compatible with 98 and they just say that because MS doesn't support 98 anymore or will it not work at all with 98?

Aside from the formatting compatibility, Win98 and 98SE are notorious for horrible USB support and poor USB peripheral drivers.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 07:24:32 PM »

I don't think anything can beat my 250GB I got from Microcenter for $30 after rebates.  It was $120 and had $90 worth of rebates.  Granted they were mail-in, but I ended up getting them eventually.  Hard drives can be had for cheap, you just have to find the sales and be looking at the right time.

Mine is BeyondMicro brand.  Never heard of them, but I've had it for several months so far and no problems yet.

I got the same deal except mine is a Buffalo.

When shall his new form be revealed?
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 03:18:34 PM »

On a side note, is it possible to use a stand alone hard drive with the xbox 360? Just wondering if movies could be downloaded to it from XBLA.

James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 03:54:33 PM »

On a side note, is it possible to use a stand alone hard drive with the xbox 360? Just wondering if movies could be downloaded to it from XBLA.

The Xbox 360 is compatible with FAT32 external hard drives but only for playing media files from. i.e. music stored on the external hard drive can be played on the console. But You can't download XBLA content to it.
JWKobayashi
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 05:01:00 PM »

The Xbox 360 is compatible with FAT32 external hard drives but only for playing media files from. i.e. music stored on the external hard drive can be played on the console. But You can't download XBLA content to it.

Which sucks. I don't see what the big deal is for them, other than the revenue lost from the obscenely priced 120 GB hard drive add-on.

[img width=350 height=19]http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/JLateralus.gif[/img]
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 05:26:43 PM »

I decided on the Seagate 250GB FreeAgent.  When I ordered, it was actually $20 less than it what it was before Cheesy 

I'm tracking it with the FedEx thing and Google Maps now.  It's really going out of the way to get here.  It started in Marion, IL then went the opposite direction to  Earth City, MO then went to Grove City, OH where it could have gone easily to my house from there within a couple hours, but no, it went to Martinsburg, WV.  I wonder where it will go tomorrow. 

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length