RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:20:31 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Featured Game 8.27.07: Ikaruga 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Featured Game 8.27.07: Ikaruga  (Read 2136 times)
OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« on: August 27, 2007, 09:11:56 PM »

Ikaruga

Console:Nintendo GameCube
Region:U
Year:2003
RFG ID #:U-076-S-01210-A
Part #:DL-DOL-GIKE-USA
UPC:722242519781
Publisher:Infogrames, Inc.
Developer:Treasure Co. Ltd
Rating:Everyone (ESRB): Violence
Genre:Shooter
Sub-genre:2D Vertical Shooter AKA Shoot'em up
Players: 1-2
Controller:Standard Controller
Media Format:GameCube Optical Disc

Game Page Address: http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=U-076-S-01210-A

Holy cats this one is hard.  If you tried this and had a hard time making it past the first chapter, I may recommend playing Duck Hunt (our other feature) instead.

One of the revolutionary things Treasure did year after the Japanese release was to make an "Appreciate's Video" of perfect plays for the hardcore fans.  They were the first to do this sort of thing, and encouraged more players to attempt to attain that "perfect combo".  Unfortunately, like Super Mario Bros. speedruns it is a short game clocking in around 15 minutes, and favors skill over entertainment. 

I know there has been some chatter about this game on the forums recently, so let me know what you think about it.

it's thinking
GameRiley
N-Gage
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 10:02:16 PM »

I've been looking for this game for along time and can not find it. Every time I go in a place that has Gamecube games I look for it, I never saw one copy in my life. I guess I'll just keep looking.

I've seen some videos, it looks very hard. It looks like a game I could enjoy.

Looks great, if I see it I'll pick it up.
Grim Fandango
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 01:05:13 AM »

I bought mine at xmas time at ebgames, went in looking for a present for my brother in law and ended up only buying stuff for me haha

[img width=300 height=225]http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4282/supcatwv6.jpg[/img]

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=wallydawg[/img]
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 10:30:06 AM »

I have always wanted this game. But the few times I have seen it I didn't pick it up.

JWKobayashi
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 10:15:31 AM »

I was lucky enough to get to try this out on the Dreamcast. After I found out it was coming out on the Gamecube, I HAD to have it. I went to Gamestop on the day it came out (back in April of 03) and picked it up. Glad I did because I haven't seen it anywhere since. Surely one of the harder to find Gamecube games (but also so worth it).

[Edit] Also, if you ever thought you were good at the game, watch this and see how good you really are:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 10:17:26 AM by JWKobayashi » Logged

[img width=350 height=19]http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/JLateralus.gif[/img]
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 11:34:24 AM »

What's the deal with the 2 colored shields? Dark absorbs dark bullets and white absorbs white bullets right?

JWKobayashi
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 02:12:29 PM »

Yeah, there is a button on the controller that changes your ship's color between black and white.

Black ships absorb black bullets and deal twice the damage to white enemies.
White ships absorb white bullets and deal twice the damage to black enemies.

Also, when you shoot a black enemy with a black shot (or vice versa), you release the same colored energy to collect (collecting both this energy and bullets fills the gauge on the left side of the screen).

You can use the energy in the gauge to release homing shots.

Hitting three enemies of the same color in a row starts a chain. As long as you keep hitting three white or black in a row, the chain will go up. The highest chain I've ever had was in the 50's or 60's. The guy in that video gets one on the 130's. Insane.

[img width=350 height=19]http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/JLateralus.gif[/img]
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 02:33:28 PM »

Sounds to complicated to me. LOL

OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 05:25:56 PM »

Thats the easy part actually.  For shooters, its the bullet patterns that are the difficult part.

Level four has two spirals spinning in opposite directions.  Heck, I can't even put it into words, so another video should explain it better than me.

BTW, there's no health, so it is one hit (of the opposite color) and you're destroyed.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 05:29:43 PM by OatBob » Logged

it's thinking
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 05:43:55 PM »

Thats the easy part actually.  For shooters, its the bullet patterns that are the difficult part.

Level four has two spirals spinning in opposite directions.  Heck, I can't even put it into words, so another video should explain it better than me.

BTW, there's no health, so it is one hit (of the opposite color) and you're destroyed.

I don't like having to remember patterns. One hit = 1 kill would piece me off to no end.

cyberfluxor
Jaguar CD

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 05:41:26 PM »

I'm finally making my first post after being here for well over a year. Cheesy

Well anyhow. I do remember seeing this game every time I went to Game Stop or EB Games back in '03 and into '04, but just never dropped $20 for it because I was too busy looking at their Sega, Nintendo and older PC games for far less money (as I also didn't make much at this time either). Over time it just disappeared and I haven't seen it on a shelf anywhere new/used since. It's a real bummer because I've just wanted it more and more but still prefer to find the darn thing locally instead of entering a bidwar online with others.

So, fast foward to July this year and I finally got to play it at Otakon in Baltimore and must say it's a fantastic shooter! I found it later in the evening of Saturday just before they were shutting the game room down so at least I got a bit of play time in. It wasn't setup on Sunday (or maybe it was moved elsewhere) so I didn't get another chance to crack away at it but it's an even bigger ambition to find it. The colors and gameplay are fantastic and the learning curve is very fast, just it takes a lot of time to master it.

Collecting CIB 5200 Atari and Sega Saturn games.
Check out my domain
I will purge your base for resources.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 02:07:03 PM »

I'm finally making my first post after being here for well over a year. Cheesy

Well anyhow. I do remember seeing this game every time I went to Game Stop or EB Games back in '03 and into '04, but just never dropped $20 for it because I was too busy looking at their Sega, Nintendo and older PC games for far less money (as I also didn't make much at this time either). Over time it just disappeared and I haven't seen it on a shelf anywhere new/used since. It's a real bummer because I've just wanted it more and more but still prefer to find the darn thing locally instead of entering a bidwar online with others.

So, fast foward to July this year and I finally got to play it at Otakon in Baltimore and must say it's a fantastic shooter! I found it later in the evening of Saturday just before they were shutting the game room down so at least I got a bit of play time in. It wasn't setup on Sunday (or maybe it was moved elsewhere) so I didn't get another chance to crack away at it but it's an even bigger ambition to find it. The colors and gameplay are fantastic and the learning curve is very fast, just it takes a lot of time to master it.

Welcome man and post some more!

Tan
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 02:14:47 PM »

The Dreamcast version was also among the first games to have near perfect compatibility with DC emulators. Definately a game I'd buy on a whim for either system if I ever see them in the wild.
cyberfluxor
Jaguar CD

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 09:44:56 PM »

Welcome man and post some more!
Yeah, I need to. I've mainly just lurked in that time, looking at other people's collections and stuff.

Collecting CIB 5200 Atari and Sega Saturn games.
Check out my domain
I will purge your base for resources.
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 12:25:58 AM »

We're a nice bunch of people. Join us.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length