RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:54:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Clue me in yall... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Clue me in yall...  (Read 2342 times)
NESman93
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« on: March 16, 2008, 12:32:48 AM »

Will someone point out to me the difference between Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox, and tell me which is better? Huh

Now you're playing with power! Nintendo Power!

Consoles on my wishlist: Mega Drive (Japan), Genesis Model 1, Super Famicom, Famicom, SNES 2, NES 2, Neo Geo AES, 360, Intellivision, ColecoVision, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, GameCube
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 12:55:16 AM »

Internet Explorer
  • Microsoft Product
  • Ignores W3C Standards
  • Slow
  • Better Download Manager

Firefox
  • Created by the Mozilla Foundation
  • Faster
  • Less likely to bastardize standards
  • Cures Cancer
  • Solves Global Warming
  • RF Generation looks best in Firefox

Only a slightly skewed answer from me. The best answer is try the browsers, and decide for yourself which one is better.

Hello World.
NESman93
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 01:04:03 AM »

I just got Firefox, and frankly, I like it better than I.E.

Consoles on my wishlist: Mega Drive (Japan), Genesis Model 1, Super Famicom, Famicom, SNES 2, NES 2, Neo Geo AES, 360, Intellivision, ColecoVision, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, GameCube
Tan
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 01:56:05 AM »

If you had asked me this 5-6 years ago when I started using Mozilla and Firefox a couple years after that, I'd say use both. Back then the WWW wasn't as Mozilla friendly as it is now and required alternatives to IE like Opera or Avant.

Now we all have choices. Everyone has a preference but it's really all about what you need in a browser. Most are free so feel free to test drive a few of the more prominent ones. I use Firefox as my main browser, not just because I prefer it, but I like how it works, how it performs, and that my dabbling in Linux which also uses FF for the most part, keeps browsing consistant and familiar.

Firefox is also a sort of geek gateway drug. Once you find how much you like using it, you may find yourself  seeking to exploring what open source software has to offer. Before you know it you'll have OpenOffice, Thunderbird, Sunbird etc etc and have the courage to dip your toe into the vast waters of Linux. All free and none of the bloatware hassle.

Am I biased against IE? You betcha! I've never been a fan of it, I never felt that I had control of my browsing, nor the options to use it as well as I could have. I went from Mosaic, to Netscape Navigator, to it's spiritual successor Mozilla, to finally Firefox, and I've never regretted turning my back on IE since. Wink
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 01:01:43 PM »

I prefer Firefox, I don't get into the customization much (though I do love the SMB3 skin). I switched just before IE7 came out and liked FF because of the tabs, now I just don't want to switch back. I don't know if IE has the bookmark toolbar, but I know FF does, and I LOVE it. Though FF does seem to use a lot more power to run, though the fact I've always got at least 6-7 tabs open, probably doesn't help.

NESman93
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 01:07:28 PM »

I prefer Firefox, I don't get into the customization much (though I do love the SMB3 skin). I switched just before IE7 came out and liked FF because of the tabs, now I just don't want to switch back. I don't know if IE has the bookmark toolbar, but I know FF does, and I LOVE it. Though FF does seem to use a lot more power to run, though the fact I've always got at least 6-7 tabs open, probably doesn't help.
How do you put new skins on it?

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 01:11:08 PM »

How do you put new skins on it?
https://addons.mozilla.or...-US/firefox/browse/type:2

BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 01:56:57 PM »

I've used Firefox for about 5 years now, and love it to death. You have so much flexibility with what you can do to it. The more you learn about it, the more indispensable it becomes.

Minnesota represent.
Wii - 3952 3192 4794 1209
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 03:00:25 AM »

I'm also in the FF camp.

Loved in since the first time i used it.

I was able to all but eliminate IE on school computers after i showed the librarian and tech department at my high school why i preferred it and was downloading it on all the PCs i used there.

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 03:37:21 PM »

The author of a piece of software isn't all that important.  Microsoft makes both very good and very bad products.

IE6 is a very good browser.  The only problem I have with it is some of the W3C standards that it ignores for no good reason.  As perviously mentioned, the download manager in IE is superior to the FF manager.  I don't know why FF continues to use their download manager; I guess some people must like it.  User experiences vary, but I have not noticed an appreciable difference in the speed between the two browsers. 

IE7 is a bad browser, in my opinion.  Or at least it's not as good as IE6 was. 

A big advantage to FF, and the feature that got me to switch over, is the bookmark toolbar.  Oddly enough, it wasn't the bookmark toolbar in FF that got me to switch, it was the toolbar in Safari.  I got used to having it in Safari and found myself missing it when I was in Windows.  So now I am a FF user. 

I just don't understand all the irrational Microsoft hate.

I could care less about tabbed browsing.  Just don't need it.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 04:11:43 PM »

My school started using Firefox years ago so I thought I'd try it out and it stuck with me. I haven't used IE for a long time so I can't really comment on it these days. My favourite points in Firefox are the themes and custom toolbar buttons.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length