RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:04:51 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Ohio River at Flood Stage... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ohio River at Flood Stage...  (Read 2348 times)
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« on: January 10, 2005, 11:28:59 AM »

And rising.

http://www.urbanohio.com/...m2/index.php?topic=2016.0

This is not good.  Check it out. (The pic of the 1937 flood is rather shocking. They put a put up a flood wall to make sure that didn't happen again, thankfully.)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 11:29:28 AM by hydrobond » Logged

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 11:39:11 AM »

Not only did they add the flood walls, the Army Corps of Engineers added a bunch of of flood reservoirs to offset massive flooding by as much as nine feet, and they channelized and placed a dam on the Mill Creek, though the dam has failed in the sixties. I just hope the impending storms do not bring havoc for the already strained water table.

On a side note, it was really cool driving past Winton Woods and seeing the lake so flooded that the boathouse was the only thing visible above water (since it floats), but then unless you live in Cincinnati I am sure you have no clue what I am talking about.

Hello World.
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 11:48:56 AM »

Do you know where these resevoirs are? And how do they arrive at the number of feet it can divert?  I mean, doesn't it depend on how long the river is flooded?  

I hear the Indiana part of 275 is pretty cool to see about now.  I was going to check it out when I went back to Purdue, but I got a late start on my journey and decided against it.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 12:05:23 PM »

I thought this was kind of interesting to put things in perspective:

http://www.enquirer.com/flood_of_97/history5.html

If they're predicting the crest at 57.5 feet or whatever it is, this won't even be close to the flood of '97.  We do have more rain on the way, but it will take a while for that water to get to the river, and who knows how much we'll get in the first place.  Anyway, it'll be interesting to see.  Maybe I'll go down to the river to take some photos myself.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 12:11:11 PM »

Is there a chance any of your houses will get flooded?
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 12:13:01 PM »

Not a chance in the world.  Once you get past the areas right by the river, most of Cincinnati is on hills that are far too high for the river to get to.  We'd have to have a Noah's Ark style flood for the river to rise high enough to get to our houses.  Not only are the three of us on big hills, but we're also very far from the river.  And, hydrobond isn't even in Cincinnati right now.

That's not to say that other people couldn't have problems if we get a bunch of rain this week and the river rises higher than they are predicting....  but that seems unlikely at this point.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 12:15:14 PM by admin » Logged

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 01:16:15 PM »

Those are some amazing pictures. I like the one of the building that had all the different flood dates on the side of it.

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 01:34:05 PM »

Is there a chance any of your houses will get flooded?

I live about 5-6 minutes north of the river, and am approx. 700 ft. above sea level, so I am safe.  Nep is more like 20 minutes north of the river and around the same level above sea level, so his house is safe as well.  The lower areas of the city, about 500 ft above sea level, where the creeks and minor rivers run, are more at risk.  But they will most likely only see water in their basements.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 09:35:31 AM »

I went down to the river last night and took some photos.  The water was several feet higher when I was there as compared to the photos that guy at UrbanOhio took.  When I get home this evening, I'll upload some of them.  A few were panoramic images, so I'll need to piece them together first.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 09:41:07 AM »

Actually, I can upload a few here from school.  Panoramas later though.

* 100_2914.jpg (76.26 KB, 640x480 - viewed 142 times.)

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 09:42:16 AM »

Hopefully the water doesn't keep rising and wash this guy away.

* 100_2927.jpg (101.84 KB, 480x640 - viewed 153 times.)

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 10:13:38 AM »

This one isn't quite complete since I'm doing it at school, but here ya go anyway.  Just ignore any "creases" that you can see until I can get rid of them at home.

* 100_2948-100_2951_sm.JPG (362.8 KB, 1541x649 - viewed 196 times.)

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length