RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:50:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | How To: Identify a Foreign Game 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How To: Identify a Foreign Game  (Read 1115 times)
Chainclaw
Jaguar CD
United States

Stats
« on: June 30, 2008, 11:40:03 PM »

This came up in the IRC, so I'll share my tricks for tracking down foreign games that you can't read the title of.

Look for any identifying features. The easiest will be platform. From there, look for little clues, like a company logo, or even company name in English. If you can play the game, boot it up and try to guess what genre it is (this doesn't always help, you might thing it's an "RPG", but GameFAQs might have it listed as a "Breeding" game). Look for other clues, like a year.

From there, search a couple game databases. Obviously you can use RFG, but GameFAQs and MobyGames can work to a degree.

Here's an example. I picked this game up at a flea market a couple weeks ago. I noticed two key features on the box, the II, signifying it's a sequel of some kind, and the Konami logo. I think I ended up finding it by using the RFG search on "Nintendo NES / Famicom", region Japan, publisher Konami. Then I searched through until I saw a game with the same cover. Games missing covers, I would try a couple other sites with cart art, like GameFAQs

If, after you try all that, you still end up nowhere, take pictures of the cart, and the box or manual if you have them, and then ask around. The IRC is a good place if people are around, you'll get the quickest turn around there.

Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 08:27:42 AM »

Great advice

Funk_Buddy
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 09:16:34 AM »

If you've got the box and there's a barcode that helps too.

Slowly building an ammo fort.
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 10:02:50 AM »

This came up in the IRC, so I'll share my tricks for tracking down foreign games that you can't read the title of.

Look for any identifying features. The easiest will be platform. From there, look for little clues, like a company logo, or even company name in English. If you can play the game, boot it up and try to guess what genre it is (this doesn't always help, you might thing it's an "RPG", but GameFAQs might have it listed as a "Breeding" game). Look for other clues, like a year.

From there, search a couple game databases. Obviously you can use RFG, but GameFAQs and MobyGames can work to a degree.

Here's an example. I picked this game up at a flea market a couple weeks ago. I noticed two key features on the box, the II, signifying it's a sequel of some kind, and the Konami logo. I think I ended up finding it by using the RFG search on "Nintendo NES / Famicom", region Japan, publisher Konami. Then I searched through until I saw a game with the same cover. Games missing covers, I would try a couple other sites with cart art, like GameFAQs

If, after you try all that, you still end up nowhere, take pictures of the cart, and the box or manual if you have them, and then ask around. The IRC is a good place if people are around, you'll get the quickest turn around there.

Good times, good times...

You peoples really have to join in on our late night chats. Much is to be learned

Tell me about your variants...
JC
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 10:46:53 PM »

If you're trying to identify Famicom or Disk System games, best way to do it is Google the product code. Almost all Famicom games had a product code -- not the barcode -- such as Doki Doki Panic, with product code: FCG-DRM. The product code is better than the barcode, because it typically appears on the box, manual and label.
Haoie
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 01:04:10 AM »

Frankly, if you play the game, and the language is different, you can probably assume it's foreign.

And if you look at the cart/disc too.

If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 05:34:42 AM »

You peoples really have to join in on our late night chats. Much is to be learned
I can't though, if I stay to 1-2AM my time, it's only like 6PM in the US, most people aren't already online then Sad
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length