RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 12:18:49 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Can temperature changes hurt games and electronics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Can temperature changes hurt games and electronics  (Read 1312 times)
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« on: November 23, 2004, 04:30:24 AM »

Recently I've developed the habit of sleeping with the windows open. Now it's getting colder, it also means my room is getting colder. Quite a lot actually. I wouldn't be surprised if the difference between night and day (in my room) would be more than 20 degrees celsius.

Which made me wonder. Isn't there a chance this will hurt my games and consoles?
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 07:26:55 AM »

Temperature changes can hurt them, but as long as the temp. doesn't dip below the storage temperature printed on the cart/console, you will be fine. It is usually pretty low, though.  Operating temperatures are a different story though.  

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 07:32:08 AM »

carts have temperatures printed on them? On the few I've checked it only says 'avoid exposing cartridge to extreme temperatures'.  And it's mainly cd's I'm worried about, since most of my games are on those.
Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 07:46:42 AM »

I know that extreme temperatures will cause problems.  I never close my window (except last winter we had 5 inches of ice here) and haven't had any problems yet.

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 07:47:58 AM »

Ok, when I looked on the back of a spare N64 cart, i was informed that the temperatures would be in the "consumer information and precautions booklet."  When I did a quick google search, I found that the optimum storage temperature was about 20C with variations of no more than 1C over a period of 24 hours.  Now tihs is long term storage, but is still interesting.  Honestly, I would be surprised if anything happened to them, as long as the temperatures dont dip below freezing in your room.  I vaguely remember reading on various electronics sotrage temperatures of about -20C to 130C, so I think you are fine with the carts and consoles.  Operating temperatures are much more strict though.

Plus, I would bet that the numbers they publish are well within the real temperature limits of the item.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 07:49:38 AM by hydrobond » Logged

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 08:08:59 AM »

Wouldn't a low operating temperature be good on a console? Especially the new consoles needs loads of cooling. I'd think a little help from nature would be a postitive thing.
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 10:04:18 AM »

A little help is ok, they don't really need it because they are designed to handle high temps.  If it gets too low, condensation from the air is a concern.  And I don't really know what the actual operating temperatures are.  However, in general operating temperatures are more strict than storage temperatures.  

Condensation got me one day.  It was a really warm day, about 90F 100% humidity, and I took the camcorder outside to take some pictures of a car we were selling.  After about thirty seconds of the camcorder geing outside, the thing started beeping, so I looked at the screen and it read "Internal moisture too high."  The thing then shut off and refused to turn on for over an hour.  But at least it didn't short because of the water. I doubt consoles have such protection.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length