RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 06:57:56 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Limited/Collector's Editions...what convinces you to buy it? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Limited/Collector's Editions...what convinces you to buy it?  (Read 6381 times)
itatton
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 05:24:28 PM »

It boils down to the price:content ratio.  If there is $40 difference and it comes with a poster and a gashapon then I'll pass, but $10 for a bonus disc and maybe a soundtrack and I'm usually sold.  The only exception is Namco Bandai because they're starting to over promise and under deliver on their extras so unless it's included in the package I'm wary.
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 07:38:39 PM »

I pretty much never get CE/LE.  Preorder bonuses, however, I do like to pick up.

@ Phoenix

I was planning on doing the same.  I saw a bonus stylus for Ninja Gaiden:DS go for $15, which means you pretty much get the game half off.
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 11:07:13 PM »

After seeing this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fable...ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...I'm thinking "If someone's spending that much just to get content including Halo armor in Fable 2, how much would someone be willing to spend on the next set of Halo 3 DLC maps?"

I'm gonna reserve the Halo Wars Limited Edition next chance I get! Cool

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 06:09:47 AM »

I just want to play the game on the disk. Wink
That's where it pays to research each LE/CE before they come out. Some have content on them unavailable to regular versions that's available right from the beginning of the game. Or content that for an extra $10, is cheaper on disc than the $15-20 or more you'll pay buying it piece meal through downloads.
You're absolutely right. But again, I tend to grow tired of a game pretty quickly so for me having extra content is of little importance. Smiley
Tan
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 07:00:07 AM »

I just want to play the game on the disk. Wink
That's where it pays to research each LE/CE before they come out. Some have content on them unavailable to regular versions that's available right from the beginning of the game. Or content that for an extra $10, is cheaper on disc than the $15-20 or more you'll pay buying it piece meal through downloads.
You're absolutely right. But again, I tend to grow tired of a game pretty quickly so for me having extra content is of little importance. Smiley

Your working from the assumption that extra content is something you'll never bother with because you don't finish games. A lot of the time it's there on a LE/CE from the time you press start for the first time. It could even be the difference between you becoming bored with it and continuing to play because it added something you needed to keep the game fresh.

Prince of Persia Limited Edition for the PS3 is a good example. In the LE version, one of the bonuses included is a code which unlocks the Prince's Sands of Time outfit for use from the beginning of the game. To a fan of the prior game or series it could add a lot to endearing that game and bridging the creative differences between them with an extra level of familiarity.
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 08:57:07 AM »

^Speaking of costumes, I heard that the DLC in the SF4 LE/CE is for 5 exclusive costumes. Can anyone confirm that?

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 05:52:14 PM »

Your working from the assumption that extra content is something you'll never bother with because you don't finish games. A lot of the time it's there on a LE/CE from the time you press start for the first time. It could even be the difference between you becoming bored with it and continuing to play because it added something you needed to keep the game fresh.

Prince of Persia Limited Edition for the PS3 is a good example. In the LE version, one of the bonuses included is a code which unlocks the Prince's Sands of Time outfit for use from the beginning of the game. To a fan of the prior game or series it could add a lot to endearing that game and bridging the creative differences between them with an extra level of familiarity.
I see, thanks!

I was thinking more in the line of the extras being end-game content. For example: I recently bought the regular Oblivion game. Although I could've waited to find the GoTY edition, I didn't because I know that when a game is as long as Oblivion the chances of me wanting to play even more of it are slim at best. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 05:55:14 PM by Sirgin » Logged
Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2009, 12:58:51 AM »

I tend to only buy them when they are the same price as the regular edition or if they are the only version released.  More often then not, the best stuff is pre-order extras and the extra stuff included with any "limited" edition is crap I could care less about.  Why would I want to spend 10 hours watching the makers of the game talk about their experiences making it and their hopes of me liking it when I could just be playing the game itself?  It's not that I dislike LE releases, just that I'm not big into alot of the ones we get.  Now, Japan on the other hand, they know what LE is all about!

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Fuyukaze[/img]
[img width=470 height=155]http://gamercards.exophase.com/69469.png[/img]
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2009, 06:07:10 PM »

Now, Japan on the other hand, they know what LE is all about!
What kind of things are put in LE releases in Japan that make them worthwhile?
shoes23
Legendary AFK'er
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 10:18:38 PM »

I don't think I own any LE/CE edition that I didn't buy for dirt cheap or own the original game for.  I obviously joined this site because I love videogames, and have amassed a sizeable collection over the years, but I've come to the conclusion that I'm a gamer and not a collector.  I enjoy picking up games at bargain prices, and have the full intention of playing every game that I pick up.  Collecting is just too much stress on an activity that I participate in to relieve stress.  Spending the extra money for extra content is not something I'm interested in, and frankly I really wish companies would stop trying to milk an extra couple of dollars out of consumers, usually for a negligible amount of in-game content.  Frankly, people are going to buy LE/CE editions, so I can't expect companies to stop making them, but I usually frown when a company releases them.  I should note that I'm also in the camp that games have ZERO investment properties.  I don't buy games to eventually sell them, I don't keep my items sealed (even if I don't plan on playing it anytime in the near future), and I rarely trade anything off.

www.questmarker.net
[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/shoes23.png[/img]
Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 11:51:20 PM »

Contents vary from game to game but sometimes they just put the usual crap like soundtrack CD, figure, or art book.  Then there's those that put episodes of an anime series based on the game that's only available thru the game, special controlers, special memory cards, mouse pads, card sets, wall papers for your comp, charcter voice collection, and the sheet music for the game.  Then there's the realy screwed up stuff like pillows, tea cups (looking at you Squre!), alarm clocks, and any number of weird things.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Fuyukaze[/img]
[img width=470 height=155]http://gamercards.exophase.com/69469.png[/img]
shoes23
Legendary AFK'er
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2009, 12:20:41 AM »

My stance is if they added something that should have kept me playing, it should be in the final release of a game, whether that release be the regular version or the LE/CE version.  Why should I have to pay extra money for a game to have an element that should have been included in the regular version?  Again, just my two cents.

www.questmarker.net
[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/shoes23.png[/img]
Tan
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2009, 03:56:24 AM »

My stance is if they added something that should have kept me playing, it should be in the final release of a game, whether that release be the regular version or the LE/CE version.  Why should I have to pay extra money for a game to have an element that should have been included in the regular version?  Again, just my two cents.

For some publishers, it's all about rewarding consumer loyalty. Others, just grabbing an extra $10-20 dollars. For every good LE/CE there are 5 bad ones. But you can't simply lump them together and call it a day when many versions are simply superior. In the case of Prince of Persia, the LE version was a free upgrade for people who pre-ordered it. It cost the same price as the regular and comes with an extra disc, that code and special packaging. Each LE/CE really has to be judged on an individual basis.

I liken it to music or DVDs. You can buy like 4-5(?) versions of Blade Runner on DVD. All vary in price and content. If you go to a music store, many bands have regular CDs, enhanced CDs, sets with an extra DVD, or boxsets with loads of extras. It's your choice whether you buy into the extras or not. Don't forget that gaming is a pure unnecessary, indulgence. It's all free money spent on frivolous entertainment. They offer you different versions to suit how indulgent you are, because making you pay for extras without a choice is wrong.

A replica coin from Oblivion may interest one who collects both games and coins. A Gran Turismo keychain might be perfect for a car enthusiast with a 69 Mustang in their garage. A soundtrack could find life as a custom soundtrack for another game or easy listening on a road trip.

Believe me, I know exactly how you feel about content not being included. That's one of the things I hate about downloadable content, the fact they hold some back from the disc to make that extra buck. The audacity to have content on hot standby during release day sickens me. A pre-determined plan to take content developed alongside the game and separate it for extra cash. I've been fortunate that the LE/CEs I own include content I want on physical media or don't affect gameplay outside of vanity for my character or singleplayer in general. Content that unbalances multiplayer by offering advantages or play fields some can't join in on isn't fair at all.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2009, 01:15:52 PM »

Contents vary from game to game but sometimes they just put the usual crap like soundtrack CD, figure, or art book.  Then there's those that put episodes of an anime series based on the game that's only available thru the game, special controlers, special memory cards, mouse pads, card sets, wall papers for your comp, charcter voice collection, and the sheet music for the game.  Then there's the realy screwed up stuff like pillows, tea cups (looking at you Squre!), alarm clocks, and any number of weird things.
Thank you for answering. Smiley
NESman93
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2009, 08:37:11 PM »

I usually only buy the CE/LE if they have something that i really want in it. For example, i want to buy the MK Deception Premium Kollector's Edition because it has the original arcade MK1 on it.

Now you're playing with power! Nintendo Power!

Consoles on my wishlist: Mega Drive (Japan), Genesis Model 1, Super Famicom, Famicom, SNES 2, NES 2, Neo Geo AES, 360, Intellivision, ColecoVision, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, GameCube
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length