RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 10:53:06 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | July/August Community Playthrough: Super Mario RPG 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: July/August Community Playthrough: Super Mario RPG  (Read 65109 times)
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2013, 01:10:08 PM »

Russ, stop being so awesome at this game! Now have to rework all the checkpoints I cam up with.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2013, 01:11:33 PM »

Yeah, I'm kind of already past that too. Started playing yesterday....ooops

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2013, 07:53:23 PM »

About to sit down to chip away at the first checkpoint. If anyone wants to Skype drop me a line at fleach.rfg

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2013, 08:06:58 PM »

I would, but wife's not feeling well. Maybe some other time. I can likely setup a Twitch.TV stream as well when I find time.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2013, 08:11:53 PM »

Well got my first Star so that's prob far enough ha. Don't want to get too far ahead.
So far enjoying the game

I like the timed hit concept. It's a nice reward system. The dialogue is pretty comical too.

Nice to know I'm not that only one that went past the checkpoint.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2013, 08:46:47 PM »

Russ, stop being so awesome at this game! Now have to rework all the checkpoints I cam up with.
awwww shucks. Ha I just had a lot of free time today. Popped the game in real quick again to show my friend what it was all about. Were going to play some other games though tonight.

Now your playing with power!
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2013, 09:52:16 PM »

It's ok Russ. I'm just happy that you're participating.

So what does everyone think of the game so far? Any thoughts on the art style? Surprised to play a Mario game with RPG elements?

I really like the bright and colourful environments and even the characters look nice in that pseudo-3D style. The timed hit concept is a really nice addition as I'm sure many people will just go through battles in an auto-pilot mode just waiting for your turn to attack. This makes me pay more attention to the battles and I'm enjoying learning to trigger those timed attacks.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2013, 08:30:35 AM »

The game is okay so far. I'm really not overly excited about the storyline at this point and still think it's quite vague. Don't get me wrong, I like storylines that develop as you move through the game (i.e. Crono Trigger), but Princess captured/Mario save her is a bit cliche and old. Hurry and save her, yet go on this side excursion to help someone else out before doing so. Sometimes I feel like I'm watching the Wonder Pets continue to babble as a puppy drowns (those with kids know what the hell I'm talking about). 

Anyway, as much as I'm disappointed with the storyline so far, I'm still into playing the game. I find myself not wanting to skip enemies on each screen and instead, defeat them in hopes of grinding out some levels.

One thing I didn't pay attention to was the item purchasing screen. It seems that you can buy various items, but is there a way to know if your current character(s) can actually equip them before buying? I know many RPGs have this feature, but don't recall it on this one. 

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2013, 08:54:22 AM »

I was in the shop a s picked up what they had. A shirt and pants. I guess that's "armor" also the 2 rings they had jump ring and some other one. I guess Mario can only wear the jump ring.
Yeah I don't think it tells you what characters can use it till after you buy it.
I guess while your grinding for level ups you can grind for extra coins to spend ha.

Now your playing with power!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2013, 11:37:20 AM »

Yeah, pick up a new weapon for Mario at one point and didn't even realize that a turtle shell was a possible weapon. Went through several battles before I realized that I could equip it.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2013, 11:55:12 AM »

The game is okay so far. I'm really not overly excited about the storyline at this point and still think it's quite vague. Don't get me wrong, I like storylines that develop as you move through the game (i.e. Crono Trigger), but Princess captured/Mario save her is a bit cliche and old. Hurry and save her, yet go on this side excursion to help someone else out before doing so. Sometimes I feel like I'm watching the Wonder Pets continue to babble as a puppy drowns (those with kids know what the hell I'm talking about).  

Anyway, as much as I'm disappointed with the storyline so far, I'm still into playing the game. I find myself not wanting to skip enemies on each screen and instead, defeat them in hopes of grinding out some levels.

One thing I didn't pay attention to was the item purchasing screen. It seems that you can buy various items, but is there a way to know if your current character(s) can actually equip them before buying? I know many RPGs have this feature, but don't recall it on this one.  

You need to get further for the storyline to blossom. It's worth it. Booster's Tower is where the story really takes off.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2013, 12:08:32 PM »

You need to get further for the storyline to blossom. It's worth it. Booster's Tower is where the story really takes off.

I second that. The story will move well beyond your typical Mario plot if you stick with it.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2013, 01:10:11 PM »

Yeah, I thought that would probably be the case. There is enough of a plot and the gameplay is pretty good so it's keeping me interested, just slow.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2013, 02:13:37 PM »

RPGs and slow starts go hand-in-hand. From what I've played so far there's potential for the game to become really good.

ixtaileddemonfox
Weapon X
TurboGrafx-16

Stats
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2013, 06:57:47 PM »

Just started I made it to the mushroom kingdom so far.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length