RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:22:19 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | RFGen's Top 20 Sega Saturn/TurboGrafx 16 games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: RFGen's Top 20 Sega Saturn/TurboGrafx 16 games  (Read 9115 times)
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« on: July 07, 2020, 04:06:17 PM »

Need to start off by stating that the latest in the line of our top 20 polls is going to have a few changes from previous months.

The top 20 lists have been a blast for me to put together, but for anyone who's noticed my comments on the playthroughs, the second half of July through the first half of August is going to be crazy for me. I'll be relocating soon and starting major preparations for a new job that begins in mid-August.

Because of that, I don't want to promise a list in August and then not have the time to do it. So I thought it would be the opportune time to crank out a few lists for systems that weren't quite in the mainstream as much as others.

This time, we'll be looking at the TurboGrafx 16 and the Sega Saturn, two quality system that for various reasons never developed a strong foothold in North American markets.

With these systems being a little less mainstream, we'll be looking at them from more of a top 10 standpoint. If you feel you want to include more than 10 on a list, you're more than welcome to, but 10 for each system should give us good results.

So for July/August, there will be 2 months to make up to 2 lists: 10 games (at least) for the TurboGrafx 16 and 10 more (at least) for the Sega Saturn. The end result will be a top 10 list for each system, giving us our 20 games. Love to get as much participation as we can!

Just for clarification, if you're participating for both systems, make two separate lists, one for each system.

For those unfamiliar with how to participate

1. Make an ordered list of whatever games are your favorites for the system being covered that month.

-Make your list about what games you think are the best that system has to offer, NOT necessarily the most important. (For example, Super Mario Bros. is one of the most influential games in VG history, but not many would call it a better game than SMB3)

-Also, your list needs to be limited to games you have personally played. Don't include a game just because you've heard it's good, include a game because you know it's good.

-For a few of the games, try to include a few thoughts on why that particular game made your list. That way, those not as familiar with the game can see why it's one they should put on their radar.

2. Personal Message EZ Racer with your ordered list.

Just put "Top 20 games for the (whatever system we're covering that month)" in the subject line. Throughout the month, I will be compiling the results, and release a full list based on votes sent in. I will be putting extra weight on games voted for the top of the lists, so please make sure that your games are listed in numeric order. The reasoning behind a private vote is so that each member's vote can be their own, not influenced by what they think others would want.

The voting cutoff each month will be the last day of the month at 11:59 EST.

Please stick to NA and PAL releases, later in the year we'll do some lists for Japan exclusives.

Don't forget to check out the threads from previous months-

Playstation- http://www.rfgeneration.c...m/index.php?topic=19335.0
Game Boy- http://www.rfgeneration.c...m/index.php?topic=19318.0
N64- http://www.rfgeneration.c...m/index.php?topic=19297.0
Sega Genesis- http://www.rfgeneration.c...m/index.php?topic=19279.0
Super NES- http://www.rfgeneration.c...m/index.php?topic=19263.0
NES- http://www.rfgeneration.c...m/index.php?topic=19248.0

Thank you for your understanding in combining these lists, and thank you to those who have participated in previous lists. Hope to see some newcomers for this one.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 09:49:54 PM by EZ Racer » Logged
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 04:20:19 PM »

I'll have to sit out on both of these systems since I don't have the experience with them to put together a list, but I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 12:16:20 AM »

Sweet!!! Good luck with the move

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 12:22:58 AM »

Are we including Turbo CD with TG16 or are you considering that as separate?

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 10:04:13 AM »

Given how small the North American library is, I would hope TurboCD would be included, but that's just my opinion. I'm not super well versed in either console, but I've owned both for years, and have been slowly growing the libraries, so I'm in!

CKsGallery
Jaguar CD
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 11:27:30 AM »

I am going to have to contribute to this! I was lucky/unlucky enough to have picked the Saturn over the Playstation back in the day and really went to town purchasing and playing games. Before I sold them all, I owned/played allllmost every game out there for it.
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 12:58:55 PM »

Are we including Turbo CD with TG16 or are you considering that as separate?

I would think they would be separate.  There were enough titles to get 10, I think.  But that's just my opinion!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 09:55:13 AM »

Sent my lists in. Hope we get some participation in this. Was fun to put lists together

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 02:09:57 PM »

Yikes, I completely forgot about this.  Mine has been sent in.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 07:32:30 AM »

I have sent my list for the turboGrafX 16 to you EZ Racer, hope you get it. I will try and finish my Saturn list this weekend
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 08:37:22 PM »

Still time left to get in on either of these lists. Let's get some TG16 and Saturn love!
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 08:45:56 PM »

With less participants this month, and most lists being ten games, took a different approach to the also-rans:

Single votes outside of top ten:

TurboGrafx 16

Military Madness

Chew Man Fu "Ridiculously cute, fun action puzzle game with simple mechanics, but insidiously difficult at times."

Sega Saturn

Warcraft II: The Dark Saga

Shinobi Legions "Not the best game in the series, but it's somewhat unfairly maligned. The live-action setting was a change of pace, and while it didn't work out as well as it could have, it's still a fun game."

Powerslave "Not just a cool Iron Maiden song anymore, this FPS takes the DOOM and Duke Nukem 3D formula, and does something interesting with it. Impressive performance, and some cool locations, based around ancient Egypt."

Panzer Dragoon Saga "This was such a fun departure than the on-rails type games that came before it. It was a huge game, it looked great, and sadly I believe one of the last games to come out for the system."

Daytona USA "came free with the system when I purchased it was great to play this game at home without having to put in a dollar every time I wanted to play."

Crime Wave "Such a fun game, great retro look too, and I believe a Saturn Exclusive. I remember this game being tough though, to this day I have never finished it."

Courier Crisis "I spent more time on this game than I care to admit. This game is just burned into my brain, and while I couldn’t put it in the top 10, it came close, just for the memories alone."

Single Vote Ranks between #10 and #6

TurboGrafx 16

Boxy Boy

Pac-Land

J.J. and Jeff

World Court Tennis
"Not a tennis fan, but toss the RPG elements and I have a hard time putting this down. A guilty pleasure for sure.

Tricky Kick "A fantastic puzzler in the vein of Adventures of Lolo or Kickle Cubicle. A must play for puzzle fans."

Bomberman '94 "Arguably the best Bomberman game of the 16-bit era, and the pinnacle of the series before it changed in the 3D era."

Air Zonk "Take Bonk and reimagine him as a futuristic, flying hero, and make his surroundings more zany, and put that all in a shmup. Hilarity ensues."

Legend of Hero Tonma "A very bright and fun arcade style action platforming game. If you’re a fan of games like Black Tiger or Ghosts ‘n Goblins this should be up your alley."

Legendary Axe II "This is another solid arcade style action platformer like Hero Tonma or Valis. It’s got some cool themes to it that gives it an edge in my book though."

Super Star Soldier "Not quite on the same level as its successor, Soldier Blade, but pretty close, nonetheless. An excellent shooter."

Loom "A point and click adventure game that is just so charming and colorful and full of humor it’s impossible not to enjoy. Takes advantage of the CD format and is full of beautiful classical music throughout with a strong musical theme to the game that ties the sounds into the gameplay and story."

Sega Saturn

Myst

Pandemonium!

Die Hard Arcade

Fighting Vipers

Bug!

Die Hard Trilogy

Nightwarriors: Darkstalker's Revenge

D

NiGHTS into Dreams...

The Legend of Oasis

Virtua Fighter 2
"I never quite wrapped my head around this series, but there's no doubt this is an excellent game. It also runs in the Saturn's high-res mode, at 60FPS, so it plays smoothly. A good achievement for the hardware."

Panzer Dragoon II Zwei "An excellent follow-up to the first game, and while technically superior, it doesn't improve enough to be head and shoulders above the original."

Wipeout "Some of the best highspeed racing of all time!"

X-Men Children of the Atom "takes that flawless Street Fighter II formula and slaps a sexy marvel X-Men coat of paint on top. Might have a shallow roster, but there are no duds or clones in it."

Albert Odyssey "Highly under rated RPG, it was a bit short but great art style, and super fun."

X-Men vs Street Fighter "One of the best Capcom fighters of the era that's not a Street Fighter main series game, and the game that essentially sparked the Marvel vs. Capcom series. An excellent game that takes the X-Men: Children of the Atom formula to the next level."

Shining the Holy Ark "Very neat first person dungeon crawling RPG. Some interesting mechanics and atmosphere make this one pretty special."

I'll have more up soon...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 10:59:18 AM by EZ Racer » Logged
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2020, 11:41:25 AM »

More of the Also-rans

Single vote ranks between #5 and #2

TurboGrafx 16

Gates of Thunder "The pack in shooter for the Turbo CD is one of my favorite non-Mario pack ins. Very cool visuals, fun game play and a great soundtrack."

Final Lap Twin "This is a unique racing game with a twist! You race cars but it's a racing RPG.  You race other drivers and gain money to buy upgrades and there are even bosses.  On top of this mode, there are two other modes of racing.  One is like a practice mode and another is Grand Prix racing for points.  It really need to be played to see the uniqueness of this game."

Galaga '90 "Spent a lot of time playing this with my dad. He was always better than I was, but it was always fun to try and beat his high score."

Buster Bros "A flawless version of one of my favorite arcade games. Fun by yourself or with a friend in co-op."

Shockman "One of the best action games on the system. They borrow heavily from Mega Man which is why it’s so wonderful."

Sega Saturn

Theme Park

Astal

Mega Man 8

The Mansion of the Hidden Souls

Blazing Dragons

College Slam

Steel Slope Sliders

Shining Force III
"I was a huge fan of Shining Force 1 and 2, so for 3 to finally hit our shores, I was beyond happy.

Duke Nukem 3D "An excellent port of this classic PC First-Person Shooter, it makes good use of the hardware, and with the addition of 3D Pad compatibility, it really makes a game that shouldn't work on the console play pretty well.

Mega Man X4 "The last truly great Mega Man X game before the series took a dive in quality. Some great visuals and music."

Quake "This is the first game I got when I got my Saturn and I was not disappointed.  I played this game to death and beat it multiple times.  That just goes to show you how this game kept me coming back for more and how great this game is."

Burning Rangers "Such a bizarre idea that somehow works. If you’re looking for something quirky, goofy and not too much of a time commitment why not try putting out some fires as a future anime firefighter!"

A few more to mention...
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2020, 11:50:00 AM »

After shortening the list from 20 to 20 for these systems, but inviting submissions of more than 10 if they wanted, a few
TG16 games got a vote outside the top ten, as well as one inside their top 10. It wasn't enough to break into the top 10 overall, but wanted to list them separate here-

Bloody Wolf

"Solid conversion of the arcade top-down run ‘n gun."

New Adventure Island

"Rather than keeping the more Super Mario 3 style overworld, or the other elements introduced in Super Adventure Island, this takes the formula back to the basics, with a graphically upgraded homage to the original, with new weapons, and fun new areas."

"Never owned it but rented it a lot and I wish I had it. Just as fun as any other Adventure Island game."

Thanks again to those who participated!
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 05:18:57 PM »

I can't believe how few of my picks made the list considering how few people put lists in this time around. Keith Courage and Clockwork Knight have no place in a top anything lists, you guys need to play more Saturn and TG16!!

TG16:

10. Valis III - A decent action platformer in the vein of Castlevania. It’s just very solid and not necessarily genre defining though.
9. Tricky Kick - A fantastic puzzler in the vein of Adventures of Lolo or Kickle Cubicle. A must play for puzzle fans.
8. Legend of Hero Tonma - A very bright and fun arcade style action platforming game. If you’re a fan of games like Black Tiger or Ghosts ‘n Goblins this should be up your alley.
7. Legendary Axe II - This is another solid arcade style action platformer like Hero Tonma or Valis. It’s got some cool themes to it that gives it an edge in my book though.
6. Loom - A point and click adventure game that is just so charming and colorful and full of humor it’s impossible not to enjoy. Takes advantage of the CD format and is full of beautiful classical music throughout with a strong musical theme to the game that ties the sounds into the gameplay and story.
5. Gate of Thunder - The pack in shooter for the Turbo CD is one of my favorite non-Mario pack ins. Very cool visuals, fun game play and a great soundtrack.
4. Blazing Lazers - Some of the coolest power ups in a shmup. Nothing compares to filling the screen with huge bolts of lightning blasting out of your tiny spaceship when it’s fully upgraded.
3. Buster Bros - A flawless version of one of my favorite arcade games. Fun by yourself of with a friend in co-op.
2. Shockman - One of the best action games on the system. They borrow heavily from Mega Man which is why it’s so wonderful.
1. Lords of Thunder - Easily one of my top shmups on any system. Wicked mashup of fantasy and futuristic tech. One of the best OSTs of all time!!

Saturn:

10. Dragon Force - Gorgeous SRPG with some of the most visually appealing battle screens of all time. Two armies clashing has never looked so good!
9. Wipeout - Some of the best highspeed racing of all time!
8. X-Men Children of the Atom - takes that flawless Street Fighter II formula and slaps a sexy marvel X-Men coat of paint on top. Might have a shallow roster, but there are no duds or clones in it.
7. Panzer Dragoon - Star Fox with dragons is all you need!
6. Shining The Holy Ark - Very neat first person dungeon crawling RPG. Some interesting mechanics and atmosphere make this one pretty special.
5. Guardian Heroes - Adds some RPG and exploration elements to give the brawler genre a nice upgrade
4. Saturn Bomberman - Possibly the best multiplayer game of all time? So much fun with a large group, but still decent playing it solo
3.Mega Man X4 - The last truly great Mega Man X game before the series took a dive in quality. Some great visuals and music.
2. Burning Rangers - Such a bizarre idea that somehow works. If you’re looking for something quirky, goofy and not too much of a time commitment why not try putting out some fires as a future anime firefighter!
1. Shining Wisdom - The best Zelda clone clone I’ve ever played. Fantastic world to explore, great dungeons, and some pretty clever items to mess around with.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length