RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 07:22:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | RFGeneration Archives | Weekly Poll 2/4/07 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: Which is better, PC gaming or console gaming?
PC gaming is much better.   -3 (12.5%)
Console gaming is much better.   -13 (54.2%)
They both are just as good.   -6 (25%)
I don't play games, I just collect.   -2 (8.3%)
Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Weekly Poll 2/4/07  (Read 3777 times)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« on: February 04, 2007, 09:59:35 AM »

Which is better?  Console gaming or PC gaming?  Why?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 08:07:02 PM by shaggy » Logged

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Ando
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 10:07:07 AM »

They both have the potential to be really fantastic, although I must admit I lean a bit towards console gaming. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. I rarely (read: never) buy commercial PC games unless they're absolutely mind-blowing. My computer just never seems to be up-to-par. However, the PC also allows indie and garage developers to make their own games and distribute them across the world, so with a PC you open up this massive array of great (and not so great) games from anywhere.

But with consoles, I don't have to worry about mine not being good enough, so I don't feel as if I've wasted money playing an unplayable game.

Wah, that dragged on longer than I expected.
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 10:15:28 AM »

PC hardware costs more but in general the games are cheaper. I can finally see what PC games are like with high settings, so now I can compare PCs and consoles.Cheesy

Consoles are good for plug and play gaming. You just need to put the disc/cartridge in and the game starts. But their graphics tend to wane because they can't be upgraded.

PC games need to be installed but once they are, they can be modified with custom, often user created, content. To keep up to date with high end graphics you would need to spend a lot changing the hardware every few months.

I say PCs cost more, but that's because they do so much more than play games. So price is somewhat irrelevant to an extent. As a games machine, PCs are overpriced but as a multimedia machine they could be good value for money.

I'll finish the thought later, I need to pop out for an hour.
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 10:48:21 AM »

Even when I first got a PC back in Y2K, I never really utilized it for games other than what could be played online for free. In that respect, there's one advantage.

However, I'm with the previous statement regarding having to upgrade...and upgrade...and upgrade...and upgrade your PC. That's too much of a pain in the ass for my money.

"Oh, you want to play the next best game on the market? You have to buy another $500 in hardware upgrades."...no thanks.

On top of that is monthly subscription fees of $10-15 for many of the better PC games. Another hemorroid!

Console games, while they may not have the graphics capabilities of PC games, they do have excellent graphics in their own right, don't charge you more than $4.17/month (Xbox Live), and you NEVER have to upgrade hardware.

Another advantage is that I can play in the comfort of my living room on my TV with a wireless controller that handles all functionality.

There are die hard PC users out there that may think I'm nuts, but I choose to invest my gaming dollars in consoles for the aforementioned reasons as being more logical for what works for me. And frankly, that's why I see console gaming as being "better" than PC gaming. One hardware investment that will likely last 3-5 years. Comparably priced games. Ease of use. In short, it all adds up to more fun, imo.

Granted, I'd never give up my PC. And I still use it for cheap, low end gaming on occasion. But the experience is more enhanced on a console...for me. 

And FYI, I typed this response on the same PC that I purchased in Y2K, that I've never upgraded and never will.  Grin
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 10:53:21 AM by phoenix1967 » Logged

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 11:49:25 AM »

PC FTW!!!!!!!!!

When shall his new form be revealed?
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 06:26:50 PM »

I view PC as the same as a console. Both are great and have amazing games, but I find myself on consoles more.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
tholly
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 08:28:35 PM »

honestly, i collect more than i play, but id say console games just cuz my pc is very outdated and i dont game on my other pc or my mac

Collection Pics--Excel Collection Spreadsheet--XBox Live Gamertag: tholly1983 - PS3 Name: tholly - Wii Code: 6005 4631 6751 2174
Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 11:30:42 PM »

Console for me.  If I made three or more times an hour what I make now, I might be able to afford to play games on my PC.  As it is, it's cheaper for console.  All I need to do is buy the system and every game released for it will work reguardless of it being released when the system was new or on its last leg.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Fuyukaze[/img]
[img width=470 height=155]http://gamercards.exophase.com/69469.png[/img]
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 01:43:45 AM »

Can we have another option, Arcade gaming? Nothing compares to it.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 10:34:44 AM »

THey both can be good. Really depends what kind of games you want to play. I voted console because I work on PC's all day and don't want to go home and play on one.

Tan
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 03:09:04 PM »

I bought a 360 because it costs the same as a high-end vid card I needed to play Oblivion, but at the same time I have a few PC games installed on my PC. So i do play both as long as my hardware supports it but I keep my PC games a year behind to match my PC hardware.
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 08:10:51 PM »

I picked console gaming.  PC shit you can never get to work.  Console game you just stick it in and it works every time.  PC stuff you need to upgrade and pray it works etc.  I do have some PC games and they are cool, though, but I stand by my console games!!  I do love the old D&D games and the text games on PC's, though. 

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 09:21:51 PM »

There should be a happy medium. They both acel in different areas, such as PC with FPs and consoles with platformers. You can't properly compare. That being said, I voted console because I hate sitting at a computer.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 07:03:31 AM »

I guess Arcade gamers like me 'n' my GF really are a dying breed.
Mind you it dose explain the huge success of the Saturn in Japan but lack of in the western world. The Saturn was definitely the home arcade machine.

Tan
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 03:41:10 PM »

I'm sure there are plenty of us who still play arcade games, but the costs associated with owning cabinets or paying per play doesn't make Arcade gaming a feasible option for most.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length