RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 03:37:16 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | RFGeneration Archives | Weekly Poll 4/22/07 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: Will all three current generation console game companies make next gen systems?
Yes, all three companies will make next gen consoles.   -15 (78.9%)
No, only Microsoft and Nintendo.   -4 (21.1%)
No, only Microsoft and Sony.   -0 (0%)
No, only Nintendo and Sony.   -0 (0%)
No, only Nintendo.   -0 (0%)
No, only Sony.   -0 (0%)
No, only Microsoft.   -0 (0%)
None of the companies will make next gen consoles.   -0 (0%)
Some other company.   -0 (0%)
Phantom anyone?   -0 (0%)
Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Weekly Poll 4/22/07  (Read 4225 times)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« on: April 22, 2007, 09:20:08 AM »

Who will make a next gen console?  Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Someone Else?

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 09:56:43 AM »

If anyone will drop out it will be either Microsoft or Sony, but it's a bit early to say which one yet. If someone does drop out I can imagine another company stepping in to take their place.
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 10:04:20 AM »

All 3.

I think Nintendo's going stick around for a LONG time. And from what I understand, Microsoft is already developing their next system.

The only one that's a concern is Sony. With them stating that the PS3 will be a "10 year" system, I'm not sure that they'll stay in the market. But then again, I can't see them dropping out of the race and giving Microsoft the high-def market share. So we'll probably see a PS4 somewhere down the road.

My curiousity would be raised if Apple decided to throw their hats into the console ring.

Tan
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 10:37:32 AM »

I imagine all three. But if someone drops out I doubt any serious contenders will appear. The industry has changed so much in the last 10 years. Companies can't just go off and build hardware that can be competitive anymore. You pretty much build it based on features and specs within a range of what is thought to be leading edge.

Even all three new systems now use parts made by PC manufacturers and have to try and offer as many features and abilities as everyone else. Sony spent billions making the Cell, Nintendo and Microsoft use IBM CPU's and all three use either ATI or Nvidia for the GPU's. Not many companies could shell out for that kind of tech. That's why the world's biggest consumer electronics maker, the world's biggest software maker and the biggest dedicated gaming company are the only three in it. Not even EA or Apple could manage a cutting edge system.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 12:08:23 PM »

All three will build a new system. Even if the PS3 doesn't do that well Sony will make another. Microsoft will just because they have an endless supply of money.

RetroYoungen
Virtual Boy
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 02:07:06 PM »

D00d!  The Phantom will rise from its grave!

I would bet all three will end up making next-gen systems, though this time around Sony seems to be slow to really get started.  The 360 is doing well, and the Wii is in incredibly high demand (at least at my store, people come in every day and ask constantly), but the PS3 systems are sitting around.  If that continues to happen, I don't know for sure if Sony will try another piece of hardware, but I wouldn't be surprised; after all, Nintendo did after both the Gamecube and the N64 weren't at the top of the sales listings.

Here is where the witty signature is supposed to go.
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 02:22:31 PM »

I dunno about the PS3 having a "slow" start...

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/4...db-8d42-000b5df10621.html

Although, this paragraph is a bit of a play on words:

NPD, the research group, estimates that about 1.1m PS3 consoles have been sold in the US in the first four months since launch, compared with 1m sales for Xbox in its first quarter. A strong launch does not guarantee market dominance, however.

How many months in a quarter?
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 02:54:39 PM »

I said Nintendo and M$ because Sony already has made the Next Gen System.

Although you could argue that only M$ will because in my opinion the Wii is different enough from last gen to constitute a status of "next gen"

But the 360 is, and always will be, simply X-Box 1.5

When shall his new form be revealed?
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 04:20:41 PM »

I said all three.  I can't see Sony dropping out but I can see Microsoft dropping out but not until after the next gen systems come out.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 04:26:48 PM »

I like your reasoning Leon. I almost wish I could change my vote from all three.

Also James, PS3 has sold more units in the time since it's launch than 360 sold in the same timeframe after its launch.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 10:28:06 PM »

I say Microsoft and Nintendo because Sony already made the next generation door stop.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Fuyukaze[/img]
[img width=470 height=155]http://gamercards.exophase.com/69469.png[/img]
RetroYoungen
Virtual Boy
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 01:44:02 AM »

I dunno about the PS3 having a "slow" start...

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/4...db-8d42-000b5df10621.html

Although, this paragraph is a bit of a play on words:

NPD, the research group, estimates that about 1.1m PS3 consoles have been sold in the US in the first four months since launch, compared with 1m sales for Xbox in its first quarter. A strong launch does not guarantee market dominance, however.

How many months in a quarter?

Three months in a quarter, from my understanding.

I said it seems like it's had a slow start because since we've gotten shipments in at my store (I work at the local Fry's) we've been hard-pressed to sell them out.  I don't think we've had a complete sell-out since a shipment or two after launch (for reference, we were getting shipments of them almost every week for a while).  I can't say how many people I've had come up to me asking about the PS3 and soon after asking make a remark like "I can't believe it's that expensive" and "why is it so pricey when the thing sucks?"

Can't say I agree or disagree with them at this point, but at least in my region it seems the predominant rumbling.  The Wii is a different story, but that's for a different thread.

Here is where the witty signature is supposed to go.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 02:49:25 AM »

I said it seems like it's had a slow start because since we've gotten shipments in at my store (I work at the local Fry's) we've been hard-pressed to sell them out.  I don't think we've had a complete sell-out since a shipment or two after launch (for reference, we were getting shipments of them almost every week for a while).  I can't say how many people I've had come up to me asking about the PS3 and soon after asking make a remark like "I can't believe it's that expensive" and "why is it so pricey when the thing sucks?"

Can't say I agree or disagree with them at this point, but at least in my region it seems the predominant rumbling.  The Wii is a different story, but that's for a different thread.

Every employee at the game sores around here have said the same thing.

Tan
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 07:27:24 AM »

Every employee at the game sores around here have said the same thing.

I know around here they've been having a helluva time trying to make good use of the demo kiosk.
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 08:36:52 AM »

"why is it so pricey when the thing sucks?"
Well, I bet those people have been exposed to all the lies and half-truths found on the Internet about the PS3. Seriously, it is not a bad system if you actually make a conscious effort to try it out for yourself.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length