RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:28:30 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | March Retro Community Playthrough - Phantasy Star 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: March Retro Community Playthrough - Phantasy Star  (Read 32012 times)
ericeskapade
DB Contributor
Germany

Stats
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2014, 06:21:09 PM »

"Alis's hope can not overcome the power of Lassic...." Smiley read that a lot, but now with the cat by my side i think i get a feeling how to go on with the game.

@douglie007

thanks for the app-hint. before i read it, i draw an own map...now i nearly have an exact overlay Smiley

@all
100 mesetas for a spaceride...nice!
it reminds me of a friend telling me today, he would relive Felix Baumgartner's Stratos Space Jump by opening a can of Red Bull Energy Drink and than zooming in on google maps as fast as he can Smiley
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2014, 07:08:42 PM »

Yep, it's easy to die in this game. Fortunately, you can save anywhere. I think it was techwizard who suggested keeping a few different files. It's very easy to stray too far from a town and then realize that you might not make it back.

When you're low on HP, it can be a very tough decision whether you should fight a battle and hope to come out alive or to run from the battle and risk being blocked, which would screw you even harder.

@All - Speaking of getting out of a battle, have you guys figured out some enemies you can Talk with?
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2014, 07:30:19 PM »

@All - Speaking of getting out of a battle, have you guys figured out some enemies you can Talk with?

I discovered that you can Talk with the farmer enemies on Motavia, but it just ends the battle.  Is there ever a reward (money, items, etc.) for talking with certain types of enemies?

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2014, 07:38:53 PM »

I discovered that you can Talk with the farmer enemies on Motavia, but it just ends the battle.  Is there ever a reward (money, items, etc.) for talking with certain types of enemies?

I noticed some of the things the farmers say seem to be hints, but not always. otherwise I think it's just a safer way to run if you know it's an enemy you can talk to. the manual also mentions something about Myau eventually getting the ability to talk to some creatures that Alis can't.

edit: just gave this one a try that was mentioned earlier, http://www.garrettbartley.com/graphpaper.html , and it's great! so much faster than the pencil and paper method I had been using before. my only problem is I have no laptop, just a desktop PC which is across the room from my TV. so that could be a problem but I really want to use this so i'll make it work
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:42:10 PM by techwizard » Logged
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2014, 10:26:54 PM »

I
Spoiler (hover to show)

At the top of the tower I
Spoiler (hover to show)

I
Spoiler (hover to show)

and ended up
Spoiler (hover to show)

After which I decided to vist
Spoiler (hover to show)

Thus
Spoiler (hover to show)

I'm glad I had a chance to play this game. Thanks for the RFGEN community playthoughs!  Cool

Special thanks for Duke for recommending I track down a copy of Phantasy Star.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:00:29 PM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2014, 11:10:33 PM »

So I got Noah! Woot ! Got lost in his maze a few times trying to get out Smiley

ericeskapade
DB Contributor
Germany

Stats
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2014, 05:45:25 AM »

congrats...will be there at the weekend, too.
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2014, 08:37:57 AM »

@ Addicted - I'll admit, there was something in this game that stumped me for 10 years and I wouldn't have figured it without the internet. I'm curious if you figured it out by yourself....

Spoiler (hover to show)

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2014, 09:00:30 AM »

@JerryGreenwood: I had to look it up as
Spoiler (hover to show)

Spoiler (hover to show)

There were three minor things that annoyed me about this game:

1. Having to decide whether or not to open a treasure chest at the end of every battle. I found that if I hit the B button it defaulted to open and I didn't have to choose.

2. Not being able to sort my items. I realize this is probably to early for a game like this to have this option.

3. Having important game items in the same spot as consumables. Again I realize this is probably to early for a game like this to have this option.

Again a great game for it's time with some minor flaws.

@singlebanana: If you've already obtained
Spoiler (hover to show)
you're plowing trough the game. Nice work!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:53:29 AM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2014, 09:41:29 AM »

Nice work douglie! Keep plugging ericeskapade. Wink

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2014, 10:24:18 AM »

There were three minor things that annoyed me about this game:

1. Having to decide whether or not to open a treasure chest at the end of every battle. I found that if I hit the B button it defaulted to open and I didn't have to choose.

2. Not being able to sort my items. I realize this is probably to early for a game like this to have this option.

3. Having important game items in the same spot as consumables. Again I realize this is probably to early for a game like this to have this option.

Again a great game for it's time with some minor flaws.

I agree, but I won't admit it because this game is perfect in every way  Smiley

But seriously,

1 - I can see that, but I'm so used to it that it doesn't bother me. Obviously they give you the option because of the traps, but I don't think I've ever declined opening a chest. I guess you might want to if you are low on HP and are worried about a trap.

I don't know if this is what they were going for, but in my mind I think they used the traps in chests in lieu of having enemies that poison you. They probably weren't thinking this way, but if they were, then bravo, because I hate being poisoned.

I understand that chest traps don't have that big of an impact on the game and it could save a few seconds if they just gave you Meseta's in the text after the experience points. But I like the visual of seeing a treasure chest in a field or in the woods or in dungeons. I'd like to hear others opinions on this because I KNOW I'm too much of a fan boy for this game. 

2 & 3 - You're right. I think it's natural to compare this game to Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy. Dragon Warrior came out in May 1986 and Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star came out in Decemeber 1987 (all JP dates). All of them have game items in consumable spots, however I think you can sort your items in FF, I can't remember.

Glad you enjoyed it though.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:31:38 AM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2014, 03:52:03 PM »

wow addicted! 5 days to beat it, you know you love a game when LOL congrats though! glad you enjoyed it Smiley
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2014, 04:41:37 PM »

if anyone has trouble with the cave at the end of the week 1 checkpoint feel free to use this map that i drew myself: http://i.imgur.com/KrkqSsg.jpg

not everything on the legend applies to that cave, i used one legend for everything.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2014, 06:20:26 PM »

@Addicted: Glad you enjoyed it, and wow that was a quick play through.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2014, 06:53:43 PM »

@Duke & techwizard: Something that happens once in a lifetime occurred this past weekend. My wife and son were visiting grandma & grandpa and I had a little over 48 hours to do what I wanted.

Spoiler (hover to show)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 06:56:45 PM by Addicted » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length