RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:21:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | March Retro Community Playthrough - Phantasy Star 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: March Retro Community Playthrough - Phantasy Star  (Read 31648 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2014, 10:02:54 AM »

Wow, I didn't realize that about the music. That's really neat.  The NPCs do give good information in this game and really help drive it. I also noticed  the animations and think it really adds a  nice touch to the game. I've started keeping a small notebook and pen in my game room so that I can write down things I notice while playing. I suggest everyone do this so that we can  a good discussion after the playthrough is over.

I also want to mention that the beginning of the game can be a little frustrating for those who may of not played it before. If you get stuck, please, PLEASE, send one of us a PM for help or look at a walkthrough. We want everyone to enjoy their experience this month and don't want anyone to put the game down in frustration. Try to keep up if you can, since getting behind in a 30 hour game can be tough to make up. Enjoy!

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2014, 11:53:38 AM »

This is my first time EVER with this game, and so far it's reputation hasn't let me down. At first, the difficulty seemed very high, but I got over that and spent a good chunk of time playing. It definitely has a lot of appeal and is very good for an 8-bit/SMS RPG. I am going to try and keep up as I have been struggling to finish with the last few Community Playthroughs. 

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2014, 01:52:04 PM »

Since the game allows for four saves I would highly recommend that you use:

One save for your main game
One save before you enter a dungeon,cave etc
One save for the start of each floor. That way if you get turned around/lost you can reset to the start of the floor

I also highly recommend
Spoiler (hover to show)

Does anyone know what max level is for this game?

Nevermind. Max Level is 30.

Grinding levels before I
Spoiler (hover to show)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 08:52:46 AM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2014, 02:07:17 PM »

After playing for almost 3 hours yesterday, I am:

Spoiler (hover to show)

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2014, 08:35:54 PM »

lots of great points/info Jerry! i agree this game was pretty revolutionary for the time.
ericeskapade
DB Contributor
Germany

Stats
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2014, 06:11:13 AM »

i took my first 90 minutes in the game last friday- had a look at the menues, the villages and some little fights on the over-world-map. now I am unsure what to do exactly:

the task at the beginning, is to find that ODIN somewhere and for that you have to interview all that people standing around to get clues? right???
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 06:16:30 AM by ericeskapade » Logged
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2014, 07:34:15 AM »

@ericeskapade: By talking with the townsfolk you should find out that:

Spoiler (hover to show)

Here's some art:

[img width=700 height=560]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AZlonkQd-4Q/UQtNPNSDtiI/AAAAAAAABb8/NzOjLkfnwYU/s1600/VMPHS3.png[/img]

[img width=520 height=473]http://e-shuushuu.net/images/2010-10-27-338467.jpeg[/img]

[img width=700 height=495]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3y1rxayuQ1rtpi34o1_1280.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 09:47:50 AM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2014, 10:56:25 AM »

i took my first 90 minutes in the game last friday- had a look at the menues, the villages and some little fights on the over-world-map. now I am unsure what to do exactly:

the task at the beginning, is to find that ODIN somewhere and for that you have to interview all that people standing around to get clues? right???

Try this as well, since I think this may be where you are stuck.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2014, 01:48:01 PM »

I made it up to checkpoint 1 over the weekend.  I've never really played a Phantasy Star game before, so I pretty much went into this one blind.  The game felt impossibly hard at first, with me barely being able to make it through a single battle without dying.  However, I persevered, and after leveling up, earning money, and buying better equipment, I was tearing through the enemies. 

I have had to resort to a walkthrough once or twice to figure out where to go next.  And even with graph paper I still tend to get a little lost in the dungeons.  I wonder if there is any software out there now that would be good for mapping out these dungeons....

Anyway, I'm really enjoying this one so far, much more so than I thought I would  Smiley

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2014, 02:18:13 PM »

I have a very small tip and I'm not sure it has any validity, but in my long history of playing this game I've found the following to be true. The spoiler won't spoil the game in any way, it'll just save a little frustration.

Spoiler (hover to show)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2014, 02:30:59 PM »

I extend a hearty gauntlet applause to those of you who are braving Phantasy Star without a walkthrough or the use of dungeon maps. I'll be the first to admit that while I am not using a walkthrough, I have been using dungeon maps for this game. Being a full time employee, husband, and dad really limits my free time and I'm trying despirately to avoid the frustration of a dungeon crawler and using graph paper. Were I younger, I would concede to that "punishment" as I did in days of yore, but alas, the sands of time and this commitment will not allow it to be so. The main purpose of these playthroughs is to enjoy the games as a group and discuss them, so for those of you looking for good dungeon maps, here they be:

http://shrines.rpgclassic...om/sms/ps1/dungeons.shtml

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2014, 02:47:09 PM »

The game felt impossibly hard at first, with me barely being able to make it through a single battle without dying.  However, I persevered, and after leveling up, earning money, and buying better equipment, I was tearing through the enemies. 

I have had to resort to a walkthrough once or twice to figure out where to go next.  And even with graph paper I still tend to get a little lost in the dungeons.  I wonder if there is any software out there now that would be good for mapping out these dungeons....

Anyway, I'm really enjoying this one so far, much more so than I thought I would  Smiley
Yes, the beginning of the game is very hard. I grind in the 3 block area right outside the city wall and heal at Suelo's house after nearly every fight. On level 1 encountering a Scorpion will probably result in death.

Please ask us where to go next. We'll lead you in the right direction rather than blurting it out where to go like a walkthrough does. It'll be more satisfying. As for the maps, it is difficult. As a kid, I didn't draw maps because I couldn't grasp the concept that each step would equal one block on grid paper. As a result, later dungeons took me forever to figure out but I got a lot of EXP and it saved me from grinding later on.

To help map making less tedious, I don't do it block by block, step by step. If I walk down a long hall, I just draw a long line as an estimate. If I make a right turn and walk 4 places and run into a staircase, I'll just draw a short line and my staircase symbol. As long as you are halfway decent at estimating, this method should work. It's sloppier and less accurate, but much faster.

Glad you're enjoying it!
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2014, 03:04:12 PM »

Were I younger, I would concede to that "punishment".
Punishment? I imagine that's what Heaven is like!

I don't have kids yet, so I have much more time to mess around in a cave. I understand work and family must come first, but I wish you had the chance to get completely frustrated tooling around the same corridor for hours, then finally seeing a doorway and as you approach it, you get such joy because you know you finally found your way.

I have a HUGE warning to people using online maps. DO NOT use a map near the very end of the game. It will definitely spoil something. It's hard for me to explain when you should stop using the maps because my explaination will spoil it. I guess, when you think you're near the end, stop using them. Or better yet, try exploring dungeons without a map at first until you get disoriented.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2014, 03:09:11 PM »

I tried exploring for quite some time in one of the dungeons before going to the maps. To my amusement??, when I looked at the map and noticed how simple it was, I almost slapped myself. I have no orientation when it comes to things like this, but ironically, you can put me in some complex mall or overwhelming parking lot and I always come out on top. It's the damnedest thing!

Good to know about the end. Thanks.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2014, 03:29:08 PM »

I found that using the
Spoiler (hover to show)
helped me get my bearings in the dungeons.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length