RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 09:11:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | EW's 10 Best Games Since 2002 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EW's 10 Best Games Since 2002  (Read 1572 times)
InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« on: December 03, 2012, 08:36:02 PM »

I came across this list earlier today. Entertainment Weekly doesn't strike me as an authority on video games but at first glance this is a pretty darn good list. I'd have to put some thought into my personal top 10, but it would probably have quite a few titles in common with this list.

What do you think? Any glaring omissions or clearly unworthy picks?

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:53:56 PM »

I'd agree with 3 of them which are Bioshock, Portal, and Mass Effect 2 (although I would have picked 3.) I don't think any of these are bad picks, just not up my alley.

noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 09:56:35 PM »

SOTC FTW!

But my list would be so different... Heavy Rain, 3D Dot Game Hero, Journey, Deathsmiles etc.

Wind Waker is legit though. My favorite Zelda that isn't Link to the Past.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 10:05:40 AM »

I dont agree with Wii Sports since it was more of a tech demo but the rest of the list was good. Of the games on that list I played Wii Sports the most I think.

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 10:12:08 AM »

They say "Best" games, right?  I think the list is fairly solid, but like Tynstar, Wii Sports doesn't belong on that list.

"Influential" games, yes.  But I think calling it one of the best games since 2002 is quite a stretch.
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 01:42:26 PM »

I'm surprised Civilization 4 isn't on that list. It has a Mass Effect game on it though. And Shadow Of the Colossus, so in the end it doesn't matter.

To compare, here are the 10 highest rated games on metacritic.com since 2002 (excluding expansions, etc.)

Grand Theft Auto IV
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series
Half-Life 2
World of Goo HD
BioShock
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Out of the Park Baseball 2007
Batman: Arkham City
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 02:39:47 PM »

I wouldn't say Wii Sports would be in my best listing, but I do feel that it might be one of the most important/revolutionary games to come out since 2002.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 04:09:34 PM »

After some deliberation, the two omissions from the list that bug me the most are Rock Band 3 and Burnout Paradise. I think both of those are among the all-time best in their respective genres.

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »

I thought Rock Band 2 had better stock songs than RB3.  I know you can download just about any song you can think of so it kinda doesn't matter, but in terms of what the game had to offer by itself, Rock Band 2 wins.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 03:36:42 AM »

there are definitely a lot of good games they could have put into this, and i really don't agree with some of these being on the list. i would say this is more of a list of influential games than a list of the best games. they're all good games for sure, but really like tynstar said wii sports is a tech demo and i don't think it should be on the list. if you look at each title and imagine it as "The BEST game of the past decade", i can't help thinking of other titles that should be in this list. where are elder scrolls IV oblivion, civ 4, heavy rain, super mario galaxy, metroid prime, halo, journey, fallout new vegas, borderlands, the list goes on.

i don't have a problem with most of the games on their list, i think i just really have a hard time thinking of any one game in the past decade being above all others.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 04:10:15 AM »

For fun, our very own top 10 of the past decade!
Based on the game ratings by RFG members for games released in the past decade.

(1.) Activision Anthology
(2.) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
(3.) Metroid: Zero Mission
(4.) Resident Evil 4
(5.) The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition
(6.) Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
(7.) Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
(8.) Golden Sun: The Lost Age
(9.) Advance Wars: Dual Strike
(10.) Pokémon FireRed Version

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 07:39:34 AM »

Lame list, probably just whatever the writer of that article wanted to put on it.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length