RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:04:23 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | NOT FOR RESALE 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NOT FOR RESALE  (Read 2237 times)
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« on: August 04, 2004, 03:30:51 PM »

I have a few games that say this.
I was wondering does it add any value to the game or is it just because it comes packaged with something else and they dont want you to try and trade it back into the store?

thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 03:51:08 PM »

Dunno, I sold Microsoft Office 2003 Pro home edition, on eBay last week.

It was marked "NOT FOR RESALE" in big unfriendly letters, so I sold a USB cable, with a free Office 2003. Smiley

10 PRINT "THX is still skill"
20 GOTO 10
30 REM 24th Sept 2017 ;-)

RUN
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 04:21:44 PM »

MS stuff says that because it comes alot cheaper with a new computer than if you buy it new in a store.
Im talking about games like Sonic the Hedgehog, the Halo (that comes with the Halo Xbox), Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance (with preorder of Psi Ops) and the Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time/Master Quest. Those are the only ones i know of. These are also the only ones i own(obviously), and they all came with some sort of packaged deal that i got them with.

Sureshot
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 05:03:38 PM »

Hmm Japanese games generally come with this warning, I can't remember the exact details but I think it's some government legislation to help the video games industry.  However, I think it can only be enforced in Japan, therefore it doesn't mean a lot elsewhere.

Me vs Gretzky
jonlester
Jaguar CD

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 09:14:26 PM »

It's never come between any thrift store and a sale in my area. I don't know anybody that's hesitated to buy one so marked, either.

The earlier post about items bundled with computers and marked "not for resale" is correct - it's just a packaging thing.

In the case of promotional items like a demo copy sent to the press or whoever, this is sometimes a plus. It's definitely that way in the world of records and CD's as some collectors are completists and they want every kind of oddity they can find.
Sureshot
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 11:50:44 PM »

Yeah I guess as far as 'home' games/other stuff goes with this warning, it's a bit like buying a multipack of crisps and finding 'not for individual resale' on the packets Tongue

Me vs Gretzky
Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 12:00:34 AM »

I've got a few games with "not for resale" on them; I always just ignored it though.  

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 10:57:43 AM »

I saw a copy of 4 Swords for GBA that said Not For Resale yesterday.

If it was marked lower than 27bucks i would have bought it.

That was the first GBA game i have seen with the Not For Resale marking.

It was priced the same as the other 2 copies of Four Swords they had but i couldn't justify paying tht much for something i know nearly nothing about.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2005, 11:12:04 AM »

I've got a few SNES carts with this marking.  The ones I can think of offhand are Ken Griffey Jr. MLB and Killer Instinct.

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 06:16:40 AM »

This doesn't add any value to the games.  The only reason they put those on games is to keep unscrupulos store owners from breaking up the system packages.
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2005, 07:14:50 AM »

But not all games that have those are in packages.
Like all of the previously mentioned games.

I know of a few from Collectors Edition packages that have it but those also have the markings across the games case and manual.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2005, 09:22:43 AM »

One of the Ken Griffey Jr. SNES carts that I have that has the "Not for resale" thing on the end label also has another sticker on the back of the cart.  It has a store name, store number, game name, and maybe a number or address to return the game to Nintendo all listed.  I'm not sure of the exact things listed, but it makes it pretty clear that it was a demo cart for a store display unit.  The Killer Instict cart has the exact same end label, but there is no sticker on the back like that, so it's hard to say if it's necessarily a demo cart or not.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length