RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:44:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Preserving arcade history 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Preserving arcade history  (Read 1185 times)
Vectorguy
Jaguar CD
United States

WWW Stats
« on: December 07, 2014, 06:43:40 PM »

Note: for those who had seen my blog about this the other week, I had asked if it were considered to be spam to post that and this on the forums here for it to be deleted, but this looks like it's ok to do.  This is a severely cut down version of the blog though.

The other month I mentioned on my forums a bummer of a thought of there being tons of arcades, whether they were small, huge, or somewhere in between all over the world that closed decades ago, yet if you were to look around the internet, you can’t find anything about them.  Nothing.  Squat.  Period.  They’re gone forever.  Maybe some of the absolutely huge ones (100 or more games) and/or chains will have a tiny bit on Wikipedia/possibly they’ll get a mention in someone’s gaming blog somewhere, but other than that and my friend JammaJup only listing arcades in two counties in the U. K., which, even though he got in several dozen, that’s still not a worldwide catalog of arcades or anything.

I looked around and couldn’t even find a wiki for such a thing, so I posted about it on my forums, which, even though people said it was a good idea, no one took up the hint that if they’d just START one I could add in a bit, so I did just that (even though I really don’t need a FOURTH blasted wiki) Smiley

http://arcadepreservation...i/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

As the How to write an article page explains and as how you can just look at pretty much any page on there to see what kind of format I’m looking for, the first time an arcade’s name is mentioned in the article, it’s to be in bold, game titles are to be italicized, etc.  It explains everything, although a quick summary in the intro sums it up pretty much, as it may come across sounding more complicated than it actually is, but then, you can just open up editing from a page like this,

http://arcadepreservation...m/wiki/Town_and_Country_6

copy and paste everything from it onto a new page and change info as needed (/take out the Background if you don’t think it needs one, name of arcade, games, categories at the bottom, etc.).  Plus it also has a generic placeholder graphic in the infobox for an arcade that could have closed down decades ago that you probably won’t have any pictures of, unfortunately, but at least that’s all done already.

So far there are arcades in three states (Texas, Louisiana and Missouri) and two countries (the U. S. and Canada).  Thanks to Leej07 for adding the Louisiana one Smiley Lets get some more in!

For those who missed the blog (I went into a few local game rooms that had some interesting tidbits [or at least *I* thought so!], along with some other stuff), it's here

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 06:55:27 PM »

Are you looking to get entries on current arcades too? I know there has been somewhat of a resurgence of arcades in this area at least, of the bar-cade sort mostly.

And what about things like grocery stores, pizza places and movie theaters of old? I remember them having arcade machines too, is your wiki going to include that sort of thing?
Vectorguy
Jaguar CD
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 07:41:35 PM »

Yes, I've got a grocery store in there, a pizza place, movie theaters, etc.  just as long as each place had at least three games, I'd say that's an arcade.

Current arcades are also fine.

h1ghw1nd
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 08:24:51 PM »

I know a couple more for Texas. I'll try to dig up some info and pics on them.
Vectorguy
Jaguar CD
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 09:05:03 PM »

That would be great, especially with pics!  All the ones I've done (for the most part) are long dead, with no pics.  There's one that's only about five minutes from here that I could go to and get a shot of but it has a rather convoluted history to it.  A couple of others are a bit of a drive, which I figured I would just use Google Earth for, but for some reason there's no street view of those!  Nuts; some day I'll get 'em though...

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length