RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 03:39:37 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Thinking about getting a game boy SP 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Thinking about getting a game boy SP  (Read 1536 times)
johno590
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« on: October 06, 2005, 12:03:46 PM »

Well I've been wanting to get a Gameboy Advanced SP for a while now, do you think the time is right?  They arn't that expensive, but are they worth it?  Does anyone think there will be any price drops anytime soon? And anyone want to recommend any games for it, if it is worth it.

Thanks
CatchFiveBats
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 12:23:27 PM »

I have an SP, but to be honest, I rarely ever use it.  I'm not quite sure exactly what it is, but the screen on it is most definitely not backlit, and it looks pretty crappy compared to the DS or Micro screen.  If you already have a DS and/or Micro (which I'm assuming you don't, since you're asking about games), you will definitely notice a major drop in picture quality if you switch to an SP.  On the other hand, if you haven't played a GBA game on either of those, the SP looks pretty good.

Either way, if you're going for a good-looking screen, get a DS or Micro.  If you can't afford those or you don't care too much about how the screen looks, go ahead and get an SP.

In terms of games, I really enjoy the following:
- Kingdom Hearts: Chains Of Memories (Not Reccommended If You Haven't Beaten Kingdom Hearts.)
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
- Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald (That is, if you aren't tired of Pokemon yet. Wink)
- Sigma Star Saga (Very, very interesting take on two tired and completely different genres.)

There are countless other awesome GBA games, those just happen to be the ones I see on my shelf that I'm really enjoying playing right now.

- CFB
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 12:24:26 PM by CatchFiveBats » Logged

- Zac
johno590
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 12:32:28 PM »

Yeah I've never played any gba games on a DS or Micro, and I've heard that the Micro is just too small to play games on.  I've only played some gba games on an emulator, and I just think it would be something nice to have.  

Also I'd rather not spend so much money on a DS or Micro (the SP is more in my price range)

Thanks for the input.
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 12:42:07 PM »

I don't have a DS or a MIcro either so I can't comment on the screen difference. I can say I have no problems with the SP screen, it looks fine to me.

I kind of prefer using my SP for puzzle games.  a couple I really enjoy are Puyo Pop, Super Puzzle Fighter II and Animal Snap.

Sureshot
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 01:44:44 PM »

But did you see this:

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/652/652641p1.html

Me vs Gretzky
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 02:02:54 PM »

All the castlevainia games are good. Only reason I got a GBA.

When shall his new form be revealed?
johno590
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 02:08:28 PM »

Cool link.  I guess I'll be looking for the new Graphite then, those pictures are amazing how much difference there is.
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 04:56:31 PM »

Yeah, I have a first generation SP, and even with the side lit screen I found it to be a ton of fun to play. There are a lot of excellent Game Boy games out there, and the SP plays them all well. Add in the fact that all new SPs are backlit, and you have yourself a wonderful system.

Hello World.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 04:29:28 AM »

All the castlevainia games are good. Only reason I got a GBA.

I'd like to second this statement.  Aria of Sorrow in particular is spectacular.   Also check out Metroid Fusion.

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 10:29:58 AM »

^ You should buy an SP.

Don't forget to check out Twisted for a rather interesting experience, and if you thoroughly enjoy RPGs the Golden Sun series is awesome.

Hello World.
Vladimir
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2005, 06:11:59 PM »

WHy not just get a DS...?  

That way you get the whole library of the GBA and the DS.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 06:15:49 PM by Vladimir » Logged

CatchFiveBats
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2005, 06:52:22 PM »

WHy not just get a DS...?  

That way you get the whole library of the GBA and the DS.

I'd rather not spend so much money on a DS or Micro (the SP is more in my price range)

You should pay more attention, Vlad. Wink

- Zac
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length