RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:47:44 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | RF Generation Podcasts (Moderators: Crabmaster2000, Duke.Togo, wildbil52) | RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 5 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 5  (Read 25663 times)
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2012, 11:01:32 AM »

That was from the old apartment. There's also Starcraft, Full Metal Alchemist, and Ghost in the Shell there too. Grin
I need to fix the second joystick on my Neo-Geo cabinet so that I can start playing fighters on it again. Something came loose during the move, and I haven't fixed it yet.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2012, 11:56:59 AM »

Nice Neo-Geo cab! Speaking of Neo-Geo just found this in the stuff from storage..

wildbil52:

Thanks. Its a generic Game Room sign that I purchased for $20, and then added in some stuffed Mario characters. The shelves are Benno shelves from Ikea.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:06:17 PM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
RobotCowhand
Donor

Stats
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2012, 05:54:27 PM »

Finally listened to this and I wanted to say thanks for the shoutout Smiley

I'm still around, but since I got the new place I've spent most weekends working on the place and not having time for collecting.

That said, I should have my basement retro gaming setup sorted out soon for pictures of!
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2012, 08:50:54 PM »

Since I didn't see anyone else mention it, I feel I must now that I've gotten around to finishing this episode. Regarding watering down alcohol, make sure you use distilled water. Using tap water is really bad for things like cleaning cart pins. Tap water is full of chemicals and minerals that will eventually corrode any metals parts that you're cleaning.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2012, 09:13:42 PM »

Since I didn't see anyone else mention it, I feel I must now that I've gotten around to finishing this episode. Regarding watering down alcohol, make sure you use distilled water. Using tap water is really bad for things like cleaning cart pins. Tap water is full of chemicals and minerals that will eventually corrode any metals parts that you're cleaning.

Quote of the day, folks.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2012, 03:38:50 AM »

i've finally gotten to listening to this, and just recently passed the part where you brought up the sandpaper being used as a contact cleaner, and cringing at someone overcleaning to the point of the contacts being silver instead of gold. now my method of cleaning will never involve sandpaper for obvious reasons O_O, but what i do use is a tube of metal polish. a dab of that on a cloth, then a few quick scrubs along the contacts, and unless it's really bad it comes out perfectly clean every time and works perfectly on the first time putting it in a system. i use this on any cartridge based system that can be opened easily enough to clean with more than q-tips. the only thing is it does make them come out silver, which i would guess is it's removing some sort of protective layer.

now my question is, is there any permanent damage i'm doing with this cleaning method? after a while i noticed that some of the contacts did start looking a little gunky after the games sat unused after this method. i realised that i think even with a dry wipe after cleaning, there was a residue of the polish left, so now i've added that after the metal polish i do a lighter cleaning with the alcohol and q-tip just to remove the residue, and it seems to work (some games i've done with this method don't have any sort of residue months after being cleaned).

there are some games i've cleaned with this method early on in my collecting, maybe as much as 2 years ago, and they still work. i've never heard anyone using this method before so i've always been a little paranoid that i'm doing something i shouldn't be, though i have yet to see any actual problems because of it.
Crabmaster2000
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2012, 04:48:25 AM »

My understanding is that the gold plating is protecting the contact from the elements. So removing it would't cause any immediate damage and the game should play fine, but it will significantly increase the chance of corrosion in the future. Once the contacts have been exposed to the corrosion the cart will be unplayable. So while it might work well in the short run I really doubt the games are going to last in the long run.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2012, 09:34:31 AM »

Keep in mind that polishes are there to make metal look pretty, and not necessarily provide the best electrical connection. If you want to go down this path I would recommend contact cleaner instead.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2012, 04:45:33 PM »

ya, that's what i always thought might be an issue, but we'll see how they hold up...like i said the ones i did quite a while ago still work fine,  but maybe i'll look into some contact cleaner Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length