RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:09:23 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Valve with Steam Box News? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Valve with Steam Box News?  (Read 9402 times)
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 01:27:26 PM »

I understand your desire for stability but a single hardware model for all pc gamers simply wouldn't work.  If they released a simple $99 model for everyone, it would only play the most basic games.  If they release a $300 model, it's too expensive for the people who just wanted basic and not powerful enough for the hardcore graphics/FPS crowd.  Forcing an $800 box on everyone would eliminate most of the market and just appeal to hardware enthusiasts, early adopters and the "money is no object crowd".  Having options at various price points allows anyone to get on board.  Also, making the hardware upgradeable means that you aren't stuck with an underpowered box once you decide that you want to move up to the next level.

The 3DO model wasn't a bad idea, it was

expensive with no lower cost alternatives
not upgradeable
had a proprietary game library
closed OS

Steam Machines will have

hardware options across various price points
allow users to swap hardware if they want more power
work with an existing library of thousands of games
have an open and freely distributed OS

That being said, most people who know me know that I am a big fan of Steam so there is some bias here.  It's human nature to look for things that we like when we are a fan of something and to look for reasons we don't like when we already aren't a fan.

I don't think that Steam machines will be significant competition to console gaming for that reason.  People who are already console gamers will not leave consoles for Steam Machines.  People who are already on the Steam boat (heh) are the people who are being targeted as the primary customer.  All Valve is trying to do here is to allow their existing customers to move into the living room with various hardware and software options.  If Steam Machines will ever have an impact on the console gaming market, it will be at least a few years down the road.

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 01:29:02 PM »

Awww, I don't have a gamepad.

A Wired 360 controller will do.  I use a wireless 360 controller, you just need one of these http://www.amazon.com/Xbo...amp;keywords=360+receiver

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 03:05:48 PM »

I understand your desire for stability but a single hardware model for all pc gamers simply wouldn't work.  If they released a simple $99 model for everyone, it would only play the most basic games.  If they release a $300 model, it's too expensive for the people who just wanted basic and not powerful enough for the hardcore graphics/FPS crowd.  Forcing an $800 box on everyone would eliminate most of the market and just appeal to hardware enthusiasts, early adopters and the "money is no object crowd".  Having options at various price points allows anyone to get on board.  Also, making the hardware upgradeable means that you aren't stuck with an underpowered box once you decide that you want to move up to the next level.

The 3DO model wasn't a bad idea, it was

expensive with no lower cost alternatives
not upgradeable
had a proprietary game library
closed OS

Steam Machines will have

hardware options across various price points
allow users to swap hardware if they want more power
work with an existing library of thousands of games
have an open and freely distributed OS

That being said, most people who know me know that I am a big fan of Steam so there is some bias here.  It's human nature to look for things that we like when we are a fan of something and to look for reasons we don't like when we already aren't a fan.

I don't think that Steam machines will be significant competition to console gaming for that reason.  People who are already console gamers will not leave consoles for Steam Machines.  People who are already on the Steam boat (heh) are the people who are being targeted as the primary customer.  All Valve is trying to do here is to allow their existing customers to move into the living room with various hardware and software options.  If Steam Machines will ever have an impact on the console gaming market, it will be at least a few years down the road.

Hm.  The 3DO example was a bad one, though not for the reasons you mentioned, bil.  3DO was a great idea from the POV of Trip Hawkins, but bad for the consumer.  It failed because of the price, timing, and the software developers, not because of customer confusion.  I don't see any of these things affecting the Steam Box.

You have to understand, bil, that I'm coming at this more as a fan of PC gaming rather than a Steam apologist.  However, I really am in love with the idea of SteamOS and the possibility that it will have better hardware support within a Linux environment (the holy grail of Linux gaming).  Never having to keep a Windows hard drive in my computer just in case I get a uber fussy game?  Yikes, what a possibility.

Back on track: I think a standardization of the hardware of the PC gaming market (or at least the choice of one) would be go quite far.  It wouldn't standardize it, as both you and I know PC gaming is a market about choice, not pigeon-holes, but it could shake things up.  Will it ever impact console gaming?  I don't know or care, but it could cause some developers to take a closer look that might have never considered the platform viable.  And who doesn't want more games?

I'm starting to wonder if the multiple models won't be exclusively about gaming.  Since part of SteamOS is about streaming, maybe the low end machines will be just for playing games from your main box in the basement or man cave on the television.  Maybe it will also only play games in a certain category.  Who knows?  Fun to speculate but the week isn't over yet, right?

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 04:18:16 PM »

A digital only console? Am I the only one who is thinking this is a bad idea? Just because it worked on PC, doesn't necessarily mean it will work in the console market.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 04:55:45 PM »

A digital only console? Am I the only one who is thinking this is a bad idea? Just because it worked on PC, doesn't necessarily mean it will work in the console market.

Digital only is so totally the future it's not even funny. There's already absolutely no reason for companies to be spending money on shipping physical games all over the world when 99% of their market has access to high speed internet.

Steam has saved PC gaming by offering amazing deals on games that I had come to believe were exceedingly overpriced. Steam pulled me back from being a no holds barred pirate to being an almost legitimate gamer. If they could do this to the console market it would be a huge benefit for everyone!

When shall his new form be revealed?
CoinCollector
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 05:22:20 PM »

I've never used Linux, but moving PC gaming away from the closed Microsoft-controlled platform of Windows to a free, open source one sounds like only a good thing for gaming.  And if that's ever going to happen, this seems like just the thing to do it!

Valve's really a trailblazer.  And they've done plenty to win my trust, so I'm inclined to believe the stuff like the game-focused optimizations at the OS level.

And you can hack it just like any other PC - they've got a nice focus on freedom.  Should be an easy way to play any computer games on your TV, not just Steam stuff.  Eagerly awaiting more details!!!

Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 07:17:58 PM »

99% of their market has access to high speed internet.
In the US maybe, but the rest of the world is not on par for internet speeds. A streaming console outside most of NA would be a nightmare right now. While the future might heading to digital, there will still be a choice between physical and digital. According to all those doomsayers, wasn't CD's supposed to die a long time ago? And yet it hasn't. And let's not forget why PC is dominated by digital. Pirating almost collapsed PC gaming, while the move to digital has helped curb piracy to a degree. There is still physical alternatives available to those who don't like to download.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 10:00:16 PM »

99% of their market has access to high speed internet.
In the US maybe, but the rest of the world is not on par for internet speeds. A streaming console outside most of NA would be a nightmare right now. While the future might heading to digital, there will still be a choice between physical and digital. According to all those doomsayers, wasn't CD's supposed to die a long time ago? And yet it hasn't. And let's not forget why PC is dominated by digital. Pirating almost collapsed PC gaming, while the move to digital has helped curb piracy to a degree. There is still physical alternatives available to those who don't like to download.

I could be wrong, but I think Leon might have been talking about the market Steam already has.  Plus, I wouldn't really think about Steam Box as a console, but rather a slightly different kind of PC that you can completely control with a controller (maybe?).

- Han Solo
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 07:47:09 AM »

If the box ends up being a micro-PC would owners be able to swap in and out certain components like we already can with regular PCs?

Just an aside: I spoke to friends about this news and about the possibility of a living room console and they didn't quite understand why Valve is making this move. They all said, "I already have a PC powerful enough to play all my games, plus I can just connect it to my TV." I gave a few counter-arguments like putting a PC beside a TV is an eyesore and that perhaps some people won't want to leave their living rooms to play their Steam games (perhaps because they want to play with friends or family).

What are your thoughts, guys?

EDIT

Looks like this debate is already a hot topic: http://www.gameinformer.c...ho-needs-a-steam-box.aspx
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 07:52:44 AM by Fleach » Logged

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 01:38:50 PM »

They're going after the console market, that's why. This isn't marketed at PC gamers because STEAM ALREADY HAS THAT MARKET IN ITS POCKET. Now they're expanding, and if they can offer an affordable living room system that offers streaming games at steam sale prices they could theoretically take a huge slice of the gaming pie away from the "big three."

When shall his new form be revealed?
Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 04:11:53 PM »

They're going after the console market, that's why. This isn't marketed at PC gamers because STEAM ALREADY HAS THAT MARKET IN ITS POCKET. Now they're expanding, and if they can offer an affordable living room system that offers streaming games at steam sale prices they could theoretically take a huge slice of the gaming pie away from the "big three."
I sincerely doubt it will affect the big three for a very long time. With Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft, you buy the console and that's it...no upgrades, no nothing. Whereas the Steam Box seems to be a living room PC that will need upgrades, and will have numerous models to pick from. Most console gamers aren't even going to be aware of this thing as it hits the shelf as they rush to pick up a Wii U/PS4/One next holiday. Just because Steam saved PC gaming, doesn't mean that it will revolutionize console gaming. I believe that Steam Box will have a very niche audience, mostly consisting of people that had Steam accounts in the first place. But hell, that's just my opinion. I guess that we will have to wait until Christmas '14 to watch the battle unfold.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 08:44:03 PM »

My guess is that the Steam console is for people who can't afford gaming PCs or don't want to build one. Sure you can get a pretty good PC for around $700 but many people say "why do that when you can get a PS4 or XB One that's ready to go out of the box for roughly half that price?"

So if Valve comes out with a powerful enough box that is less than a full-fledged PC I might consider one.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 11:40:35 PM »

Just an aside: I spoke to friends about this news and about the possibility of a living room console and they didn't quite understand why Valve is making this move. They all said, "I already have a PC powerful enough to play all my games, plus I can just connect it to my TV." I gave a few counter-arguments like putting a PC beside a TV is an eyesore and that perhaps some people won't want to leave their living rooms to play their Steam games (perhaps because they want to play with friends or family).

What are your thoughts, guys?

EDIT

Looks like this debate is already a hot topic: http://www.gameinformer.c...ho-needs-a-steam-box.aspx

I think once it hits this will resonate more with PC gamers.  Personally speaking my tower isn't quite an eyesore, but it isn't quite, and thanks to the friggin' Quadro card I have to use it really heats up a room, so this could be a great solution.  Me, I don't want to lug that tank from floor to floor depending on who is using the television, and alternately sometimes I don't want to trudge my butt down to the man cave and play there.

Initially when this whole thing started I thought that maybe Valve was out to give the market a light tap on the nuts, just to size everyone up and let them know they are serious.  But the more I think about it, the more I start to think this may be the beginning of a takeover.  It won't be fast.  Like Leon said, they already pretty much own the PC gaming market, so they don't need to aggressively come in and slap their thang down, but rather do that they've been doing (and what they are know for): being patient.  They've already announced a operating system that may eventually replace Windows as the PC gamers OS of choice, and they also announced a set-top box that does everything: Games, movies, and music, all from one source hooked up to your television.  Kind of sounds like that modern consoles have done, right?  So that does Valve offer that the console competition doesn't?  Regular and often insane sales on software.  Just today I signed onto Steam to ready my laptop for work tomorrow (I likes to play me some games on lunch, if I can) and noticed Dead Island: Riptide is free until Monday morning (PST).  Not something I will be playing, but there are plenty of people who will be downloading this just to play it through the weekend.

With all that said, I still think (like many of you do) that any hardware Valve puts out in the near future will not compete with the next generation of consoles.  What it will do (assuming any soft of success in sales) will possibly move us to that all digital future that much quicker.

So...  Today's announcement: Half Life 3, only on SteamOS and Steam?  Anyone?

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 12:22:14 AM by bombatomba » Logged

- Han Solo
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 12:55:17 PM »

The Steam Controller is here:

http://store.steampowered...vingroom/SteamController/

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 01:00:04 PM »

Definitely not what I was expecting.  I expect that the knee jerk reaction will be mostly negative.  It's very hard for me to imagine playing a game without analog sticks or face buttons but I'll try to reserve judgement until I give one a try.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length