RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:17:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | It's almost October again.....time to talk Horror films 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: It's almost October again.....time to talk Horror films  (Read 54737 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« on: September 25, 2013, 09:18:28 AM »

I had a lot of fun last year discussing horror films with a few members, so I thought I'd put up another thread.  The wife and I have instituted a weekly movie night at our house with about 20 friends (only a few usually show up). We bought a nice popcorn popper and some big plastic popcorn buckets. It's a lot of fun, and with 2 kids, it allows us to spend more time with friends since most of our weekends are pretty packed with errands, sports, etc.  Tonight we are watching "Over the Top"...Ha!  Anyway, I have prepared my list for the October films, so I'll see what you guys think:

October 2nd, 8:30 p.m. - "Chopping Mall" (1986)
October 9th, 8:30 p.m. - "Deep Red" (1975) or "Tenebre" (1982) [decided by vote]
October 16th, 8:30 p.m. - "Ghostbusters" (1984) or "The Frighteners" (1996) [decided by vote]
October 23rd, 8:30 p.m. - "The Brood" (1979)
October 30th, 8:30 p.m. - "The Blob" (1958)

**there will also be a special screening of Fulci's "City of the Living Dead" (1980) at some point very soon.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Techie413
We need to talk about your flair.
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 10:25:05 AM »

Might I recommend some lesser known titles like:
Mister Frost (1990) If you can find a copy.  Very hard to locate.
Session 9 (2001) "Tensions rise within an asbestos cleaning crew as they work in an abandoned mental hospital with a horrific past that seems to be coming back."
Frozen (2010) "Three skiers are stranded on a chairlift and forced to make life-or-death choices that prove more perilous than staying put and freezing to death"
Midnight Movie (2008) "A midnight showing of an early 1970's horror movie turns to chaos when the Killer from the movie comes out of the film to attack those in the theater."

Or you could go classic with The Last Man on Earth (1964) or The Changeling (1980).

Depending on the crowd, you should check IMDB.  I love a great horror flick and can't help but to toss recommendations.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 10:26:47 AM »

Oh yeah, recommendations welcome! My viewings are pretty much set, but I'll check out a few of these myself.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 10:33:23 AM »

I looove horror movies. Especially older ones and B movies. Last year I streamed a movie each night of October for my online friends and it was awesome (until a certain hurricane knocked out my power). I try to watch differently themed stuff every year but I always remember to watch Evil Dead II, Army of Darkness and Sean of the Dead.

If you're into the classics, I'd recommend The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and the original Phantom of the Opera. Also classic Godzilla and Gamera is very amusing (or at least to me it is).
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 10:39:31 AM »

The Innkeepers is pretty good.

Double on Techie's recommendation of Last Man on Earth.  The closest to film translation to Richard Matheson's original story, I Am Legend.  You can actually feel the main character start to loose his sanity.  Vincent Price's every-man take on the protagonist comes off as smart and resourceful, yet normal.  I found this refreshing compared to the others that came in the future (who came off as either complete bad-asses or supermen).

Windchill is nice and scary.  Free on Crackle, too.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 10:40:37 AM »

Yep, love the classics and I have all of those silent films in a collection: Nosferatu, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Phantom of the Opera, The Golem, etc. I also have Godzilla and the box set of the Universal Monsters Horror Collection that was put out several years ago and is currently OOP. My crowd is mixed and made up of a few people who really don't care for horror films. I have to go easy on a few of the nights (Ghostbusters, The Frighteners, The Blob) and like to use an Argento film, which typically combines elements of a murder mystery, to keep them coming.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 10:41:29 AM »

I'll have to check out "Last Man on Earth" since I'm a big fan of Vincent Price. If you haven't seen "The Tingler," it's a must.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 12:28:55 PM »

I'll have to check out "Last Man on Earth" since I'm a big fan of Vincent Price. If you haven't seen "The Tingler," it's a must.

That's definitely the best adaptation of I am Legend.

When shall his new form be revealed?
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 02:33:32 PM »

My wife and I watch Trick R Treat (2007) every year on Halloween night. It is in my top five favorite movies ever and is slowly creeping up the list. I just love every second of it and for me it's one of those movies that seems like it's over in five minutes. We may make it a double feature with The Loved Ones (2009), which is also phenomenal but way more on the shocking/disturbing end of the spectrum where Trick R Treat is more fun/campy like Creepshow.

Oh yeah, Creepshow (1982) is awesome too.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 02:43:36 PM »

Yeah, Trick R Treat is a fun viewing. I enjoy all of the little twists and turns and how the different parts play into the entire film. I actually have a copy of the graphic novel, which is really cool. Creepshow is a classic.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 09:19:57 PM »

It's a little campy at times, but Island of Terror (1966) with Edward Judd and Peter Cushing.  The sound the monsters make is... queasy.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 10:35:48 AM »

I'm hoping to watch a scary movie every night in October as well as play some horror based video games.
If anyone has kids Netflixs just added a few more seasons of Goosebumps. I watched a few episodes myself.
My favorite Halloween movie would have to be Monster Squad though

Now your playing with power!
Techie413
We need to talk about your flair.
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 12:55:04 PM »

My favorite Halloween movie would have to be Monster Squad though

"Wolfman's got nards!"  Loved that movie growing up.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 01:28:41 PM »

Oh yeah, I own Monster Squad. Such a staple of my youth. "Give me the amulet bitch!!!"

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 11:47:27 AM »

I had a lot of fun last year discussing horror films with a few members, so I thought I'd put up another thread.  The wife and I have instituted a weekly movie night at our house with about 20 friends (only a few usually show up). We bought a nice popcorn popper and some big plastic popcorn buckets. It's a lot of fun, and with 2 kids, it allows us to spend more time with friends since most of our weekends are pretty packed with errands, sports, etc.  Tonight we are watching "Over the Top"...Ha!  Anyway, I have prepared my list for the October films, so I'll see what you guys think:

October 2nd, 8:30 p.m. - "Chopping Mall" (1986)
October 9th, 8:30 p.m. - "Deep Red" (1975) or "Tenebre" (1982) [decided by vote]
October 16th, 8:30 p.m. - "Ghostbusters" (1984) or "The Frighteners" (1996) [decided by vote]
October 23rd, 8:30 p.m. - "The Brood" (1979)
October 30th, 8:30 p.m. - "The Blob" (1958)

**there will also be a special screening of Fulci's "City of the Living Dead" (1980) at some point very soon.

I love Chopping Mall.  The movie itself is pretty meh, but the wave of 80's nostalgia is amazing. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length