RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:05:25 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Which 2nd/3rd gen games are best? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Which 2nd/3rd gen games are best?  (Read 903 times)
o.pwuaioc
N-Gage

Stats

Champion of

« on: October 03, 2013, 10:18:32 PM »

With a ton of collectors here, surely some people will have strong opinions on this. Lately instead of expanding I've been wanting to consolidate and tighten my collection. However, going through game by game trying to find the "best" version is quite a daunting task. So I come to you experts in hopes that maybe I can compile some definitive list of the best of ports. Maybe we can even order the ports from best to worst in case someone doesn't have the console for the best game, but does for the second or third best port. Also, please indicate if the game can be found outside of the 2nd/3rd gen, for example Frogger on the Genesis or Pac-Man on the many Namco collections.

I'll start with what I know best:

Galaga (1981)

NES > 7800 > MSX > SG-1000

Best compilation containing it: Namco 50th Anniversary (PS2, Xbox, GCN equally good)

Commentary: The NES version is the cleanest looking, although it differs from the arcade in that it doesn't have a "throbbing" swarm. The 7800 has worse graphics, although the enemy movement is closer to the original; the sound is, as usual with a 7800, not up to par, and yet somehow it's not utterly terrible. The MSX and SG-1000 are the simplest in terms of graphics and sound.

I've asked around on other forums, and have been collecting answers here.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 10:47:55 PM »

I like this idea! Let me give me 2¢:

Double Dragon (1987)

SMS > NES > 7800 > 2600

Best version: Xbox Live Arcade (which is unfortunately de-listed)

Commentary: The SMS version contains better graphics and level design that is much closer to the arcade game. Also it allows for two player simultaneous play. While the NES version is very popular, it strays quite a bit from the original and almost makes it into a different game. The 7800 version has unappealing, if not terrible graphics and of course suffers in the sound department. The 2600 version is a competent port for the limitations of the system, but really isn't a good replication of the experience.

o.pwuaioc
N-Gage

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 11:20:46 PM »

I didn't even know there was a 2600 version! I never see it mentioned. That's insane.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length