RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:10:30 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Is the Wii U truly dead? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Is the Wii U truly dead?  (Read 8614 times)
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 10:32:02 PM »

Dead? I don't think so. In the words of Public Enemy: Don't believe the Hype.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 12:59:16 AM »

http://www.nintendolife.c...aims_of_dead_relationship

Just thought this thread was perfect for this. How is EA and Nintendo's relationship anything but dead? EA have released 1 Wii U and 1 3DS game in the last 12 months. What the hell is Peter Moore on?

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 07:43:20 AM »

Dead? I don't think so. In the words of Public Enemy: Don't believe the Hype.

Unfortunately "The Hype" is what kept Nintendo a float with the Wii.

Wii Sports any one?
I have played shit 3rd party Kinect games that were more involved than that was. And i spent probably 100 hours with Wii Fit.

There is the new Wii Fit U or whatever that is called. Curious to see if that snags a new market segment but i doubt it.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 07:52:34 AM »

Someone already mentioned that the Wii U is still only a little over a year old so it's much too soon to predict the console's future.

One thing is certain though, the 3DS is doing very well for Nintendo. If anything, Nintendo might shift gears and focus on their handheld.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 08:26:15 AM »

Someone already mentioned that the Wii U is still only a little over a year old so it's much too soon to predict the console's future.

One thing is certain though, the 3DS is doing very well for Nintendo. If anything, Nintendo might shift gears and focus on their handheld.
If they were wise they would find a way to merge handheld and console. But who knows what will happen.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 10:21:36 AM »

http://www.nintendolife.c...aims_of_dead_relationship

Just thought this thread was perfect for this. How is EA and Nintendo's relationship anything but dead? EA have released 1 Wii U and 1 3DS game in the last 12 months. What the hell is Peter Moore on?

He is on wanting to make money.

Dergatron9000
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 10:27:25 AM »

What they need to do is let me play my ds and 3ds games on my tv through the goddam wiiu controller. THAT would sell systems. Even if the 3ds games weren't in 3d.
KidA
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 11:19:56 PM »

I think it boils down to how long Nintendo is willing to wait for sales to increase.  Both the N64 and Gamecube didn't get off to as bad of a start as the Wii U, so it's hard to draw that comparison.  With the exception of Nintendo's handheld success, the closest similarity is to the path the Dreamcast trod.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2014, 11:48:44 AM »

The marketing for the WiiU was awful. As someone only hearing about it through the grapevine and not actively reading about it, I didn't even know it was a system, much less a 'next-gen' (haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa) one. I honestly thought it was a Wii add-on until fairly recently.

Nintendo is looking like it will go the way of SEGA, although honestly there are probably not going to be any more generations of gaming consoles as we think of them after this one anyways.

Streaming will take over. If Nintendo was smart they'd develop a cheap roku like device to grab an early share in that market. Can only hope they can freaking name it so that it sells.

When shall his new form be revealed?
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »

As long as Nintendo keeps being successful from handhelds, pretty unlikely they will die.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2014, 03:44:14 PM »

They won't die, not for a long time, but they may have to retreat to becoming solely a game developer for other systems if they can't provide anything anyone wants in the home console market. They've been very innovative with their last few consoles, but they don't really seem to base these innovations on what the consumer is looking for. They've just been surviving on nostalgia and, as Terzi said, niche things like WiiFit taking off.

And we've had this discussion before, handhelds aren't any longer for this world than consoles. It would be a huge mistake for them to retreat to just handheld, unless they want to start developing tablets and smartphones.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2014, 06:25:22 PM »

They won't die, not for a long time, but they may have to retreat to becoming solely a game developer for other systems if they can't provide anything anyone wants in the home console market. They've been very innovative with their last few consoles, but they don't really seem to base these innovations on what the consumer is looking for. They've just been surviving on nostalgia and, as Terzi said, niche things like WiiFit taking off.

And we've had this discussion before, handhelds aren't any longer for this world than consoles. It would be a huge mistake for them to retreat to just handheld, unless they want to start developing tablets and smartphones.
From a financial standpoint if anyone exits the console business next, it's Sony.

I'll drop this right here, this is an article posted last year when they also posted losses.

http://playeressence.com/...s-get-the-facts-straight/

It will be a very long time before Nintendo is in financial jeopardy. The numbers tell the story. And we have all seen Nintendo consoles slump in sales before, GCN, N64 anyone? Will Nintendo bring it back, who knows? At the end of the day, the Wii U isn't dead. All I hope is that the company learns from their mistakes and come back with something every gamer can't resist. But with 3DS printing money, the company isn't going anywhere. But I hope the Wii U has made the picture clearer for Nintendo, the Wii was lightning in a bottle. It wasn't going to strike twice for them. Nintendo said they have a different business model that needs to be put in place. 2014 should be interesting to see just what they have planned.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2014, 11:11:56 PM »

Yeah, everybody wants Nintendo to go the way of Sega but they've all forgotten why Sega abandoned its hardware business (except the arcade side, which has actually been profitable for them throughout all of their console woes). Everything Sega tried after the Genesis was a massive financial failure, the CD lost money, the 32X flopped, the Saturn was only relevant for a couple of years in Japan only and lost money everywhere else, the Dreamcast was promising but too easy to pirate. All their handhelds sold like moldy bread too. Sega had no money, not a single dime to its name when it went software only.

Nintendo is sitting on a mountain of cash, the 3DS is doing a respectable job of offsetting losses. The Wii and DS were literally money factories for them, the Gamecube was profitable even if it was completely crushed in sales by the PS2, the N64 was also profitable even though it was manhandled by the PS1 on sales charts. Nintendo's stock price has already rebounded to the price it was at before this announcement, which is a result of this track record. Nintendo made the mistake of trying to chase after the casual market once again, but their marketing is not focused on the product, only on trying to persuade the public with Nintendo's family friendly image. This worked for the Wii, but is not working for the WiiU.

Let's take a look at the competition now. Microsoft's Xbox business has been bleeding money since day 1, and has lead to quite a few higher ups that have been clamoring for them to sell their console business off. These voices have not quite been the majority, but these decisions made in the stock room are based on financials, we might think of this as a group of evil rich men, but they're just trying to protect their investments and themselves. Losing money to the ether does nobody any good. The recent youtube marketing fiasco is not doing anybody any favors here, and could land some people (albeit outside of Microsoft) in hot water, leaving the Xbox as a tarnished brand name.

On the flip side the Playstation brand has been one of Sony's strong points since they got into the business. The meteoric rise of the first Playstation was an industry wide phenomenon, it came at a time when people thought Nintendo could not be beaten. Sega tried, and were neck and neck in North America, but lost worldwide at the end of the 16 bit era. Nintendo sat on its laurels with the N64, waited too long, and the PS1 firmly entrenched itself as the Nintendo slayer. This continued with the PS2, with both consoles selling well over 100 million. Its easy to see why Sony loves its Playstation brand. Even the weak PS3's start came with a strong finish of over 80 million just as the PS4 launched. The rest of Sony's businesses just seem to lose money though, so when the PS3 was losing a lot of money the company as a whole lost a mindnumbing amount of money.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2014, 11:46:47 PM »

It would be a huge mistake for them to retreat to just handheld, unless they want to start developing tablets and smartphones.

Bingo

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2014, 02:18:50 PM »

i agree with link and psycho, i would think unless things went really downhill for a long time with nintendo it'll probably be sony or microsoft that drops out first. both of them have massive empires outside of video games, they really don't need to be in this business to survive. nintendo has nothing but video games (that i know of, even if they have much else they're only well known for gaming). i feel like that would make them more likely to hold on until the bitter end, and more likely to adapt to try and fix their problems instead of running at the first sign of trouble.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length