RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 04:13:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | June Modern Community Playthrough - Shadow of the Colossus 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: June Modern Community Playthrough - Shadow of the Colossus  (Read 36192 times)
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2014, 12:43:49 PM »

I got shocked once by the electric eel Colossus, but that's because I lined myself up when it swam under me so I could grab its tail. I just tread water until the tail surfaced before I grabbed on for a wild ride.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2014, 12:51:01 PM »

Nope Wink the increased stats only apply to the story mode and new game plus though. Time attack always gives you default stats.

h1ghw1nd
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #137 on: June 19, 2014, 12:30:50 AM »

Damn bil, I haven't found one piece of fruit yet. I'm probably gonna end up paying for that soon.

#8 was killing my vibe last night. I'm about to give it another try. Any hints besides drawing it to higher ground? I'm trying hard not to use a guide but this guy is the first to actually damage me and kill me. I'm probably already paying the price for not searching for fruit *tear*
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #138 on: June 19, 2014, 12:53:11 AM »

I will likely use a guide for the fruits and lizards to ensure I stand the best chance against all the colossi when I encounter them. I enjoy puzzles and difficult games a lot, so I won't mind struggling to solve some of the colossi on my own, but I don't want to do it with minimum health and stamina...that would just enrage me to die over and over because of something like that. I fell off the ramp like 7 times alone on the third colossus, I don't want to die repeatedly at the same one and have to suffer even more travelling...I am already behind enough on this play-through due to being sucked into Suikoden. I need to make sure I can catch back up. ha ha ha

h1ghw1nd
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #139 on: June 19, 2014, 12:54:42 AM »

Wooooow hold that thought I just destroyed him on my first try. The most annoying one in a way, he kinda seems like a final boss type with the patterns you have to use. Definitely the most satisfying to kill! Take that with your electric Sunkist breath!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #140 on: June 19, 2014, 08:11:32 AM »

I will likely use a guide for the fruits and lizards to ensure I stand the best chance against all the colossi when I encounter them. I enjoy puzzles and difficult games a lot, so I won't mind struggling to solve some of the colossi on my own, but I don't want to do it with minimum health and stamina...that would just enrage me to die over and over because of something like that. I fell off the ramp like 7 times alone on the third colossus, I don't want to die repeatedly at the same one and have to suffer even more travelling...I am already behind enough on this play-through due to being sucked into Suikoden. I need to make sure I can catch back up. ha ha ha

Unless you are just going for the achievement, I wouldn't bother using a guide to find all of the fruit and lizards. I found enough fruit tracking my way to the colossi and just looking up in the trees that I passed along the way. Same with the lizards, I just stopped at every temple and collected to one at each of those. That resulted in plenty of life and stamina to get me through a normal game. I imagine that you might need a little more for hard mode.

In terms of dying, I kicked the bucket 3 times total during this game. Twice learning the controls in the beginning at the first colossi and the only other time with colossi #14 Cenobia after getting stuck in a corner. I never had any problems with dying and even though I fell from pretty great heights a few times when my stamina ran out, I never really took any significant damage. I know this may sound a little odd, but I thought the game was a little too easy in this regard. The puzzles were the most fun and challenging part, but taking the colossi down once you figured out how to get on them was pretty simple. Call me crazy, but I would have preferred more damage when falling from great heights and no regeneration during battle. I can't speak for the more difficult mode, since I have not played it on that setting yet. I'm sure that amps up the difficultly and something I look forward to accomplishing in the future.

#8 was a long and drawn out fight and a little tough at first to figure out. It's tough to get into a good position to fire at Kuromori and his acid/fire breath keeps you on the move constantly. Once you get him down, you get 1, maybe two stabs at the sigil if you are lucky. It's a long and arduous process for sure. Any time you have to use your bow, it creates an added challenge to the battle. However, I think that the developers did a nice job of implementing both weapons in this game both in puzzle solving and in outland play.

Some things you should check out when you get a change is associated fan artwork, tattoos, and even look over some of the colossi that didn't make the game. Apparently, there were over 20 that did not make the game. I can't understand why they didn't make a sequel to this game, but I assume it has something to do with fracturing the current story line.

[img width=612 height=612]http://i.imgur.com/jzdcRlz.jpeg[/img]
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 08:13:41 AM by singlebanana » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #141 on: June 19, 2014, 08:15:59 AM »

Highwind, are you still having trouble with the 8th Colossus?

In case this isn't related to the current discussion I've put my method into spoiler tags.

Spoiler (hover to show)

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2014, 08:21:09 AM »

Also.....

Spoiler (hover to show)

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2014, 09:32:09 AM »

That tattoo must have been very painful. I hear non-fleshy spots are uncomfortable areas to get tattooed. So maybe it's ironically appropriate.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #144 on: June 19, 2014, 01:08:28 PM »

I bet a thick black mist spurted out of this guy while he was getting tattooed. If it didn't, it should have.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #145 on: June 19, 2014, 05:36:04 PM »

i'm officially in on this one! very late i know, but i had hoped to try finishing Ico before starting this. it doesn't look like i'll get that done in time so i decided to just go ahead and start on this one. finished the first 3 colossi in one sitting.
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #146 on: June 19, 2014, 06:54:34 PM »

That makes 18 people playing this one together!

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #147 on: June 19, 2014, 07:36:45 PM »

That makes 18 people playing this one together!

New Record!!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
h1ghw1nd
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #148 on: June 19, 2014, 07:44:36 PM »

I actually beat the 8th one immediately after posting that haha. As soon as he climbed up I made him fall and took the leap of faith to the bottom. I even got lucky once or twice and landed on him when I jumped. Now I'm on #9 and also hate him. LOL
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #149 on: June 19, 2014, 09:27:14 PM »

#9 will give you plenty of headaches until you defeat it. My strategy was...

Spoiler (hover to show)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length