RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:46:24 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Abesente  - Absinthe 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Abesente  - Absinthe  (Read 5860 times)
thx1138
3DO

Stats
« on: April 20, 2005, 04:10:42 AM »

http://www.crillonimporte...Absente/absente-about.htm

This is the stuff that I bought. It's legal in the USA apparantley.

As I understand it, Absinthe isn't banned in France or the U.K but it's not espeically easy to get without going a little underground.  This stuff tastes similar, but doesn't have the banned ingredient in.

Anyway, it came up in discussion in another thread.

The bottle that I bought is 55% alc by vol. and is jolly nice, when mixed with coke. It tastes like fizzy licqorice.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 04:11:35 AM by thx1138 » Logged

10 PRINT "THX is still skill"
20 GOTO 10
30 REM 24th Sept 2017 ;-)

RUN
Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 06:08:11 AM »

This is one of those drinks that I've always wanted to try.  I'll probably never get the chance to have some (well, the kind with the wormwood) but it's still a dream.  Smiley
Sureshot
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 08:43:10 PM »

I think the real stuff is about 75%.  Plus it can give you brain damage if you drink too much.

They say Van Gogh was drinking absinthe when he cut off his ear too. yuck

The strongest stuff I have ever tried is Stroh 80, an Austrian liqueur.  Yes, the 80 stands for 80%, and it burns like anything from just a sip.

Learn all about it at: http://www.stroh.co.uk/
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 08:44:05 PM by Sureshot » Logged

Me vs Gretzky
thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 02:35:09 AM »

Rock and Roll!

Before I married mrs.thx, i'd have so bought some!

These days, I'd be al sensible and say "non, merci!" LOL

20 GOTO 10

RUN
Sauza12
DB Contributor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 12:11:01 PM »

One of my friends uncles makes moonshine.  I'm pretty sure that that stuff is like 95% alcohol.  It burns the whole way down and just sits in your stomach like a rock.
thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 01:28:38 PM »

I brew my own beer, which is perfectly legal here, but making spirits isn't, mostly becuase done incorrectly, it can be harmful..

Quite a few people make their own wines and fortified wines.

The best beer I can make is 5% and works out at about 15pence per pint.

20 GOTO 10

RUN
Sureshot
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 03:05:03 PM »

I brew my own beer, which is perfectly legal here, but making spirits isn't, mostly becuase done incorrectly, it can be harmful..

You mean like the guys who water down ethanol and sell it in corner shops? Tongue

Me vs Gretzky
thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 03:14:16 PM »

That's bad news, they deserve to go to jail for that.

I've got another long haul coming up, this time to Cannes! I'll pick up more cheap beer at a lidl's in France, so I prolly wont brew any more beer for a while!

20 GOTO 10

RUN
Sureshot
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 03:24:46 PM »

The worst part is, they sell it as Vodka.  The difference is, Vodka doesn't make you go blind.

Me vs Gretzky
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 04:47:19 PM »

Assuming you don't wash your eyes out with vodka, that is.  

You can make your own spirits in the US, but you cant make very much of it, or store much of it without a liquer license.  And when you look at how much the equipment would cost, and how good of a product you can make, you are generally better off buying the cheap brands anyways.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 05:17:58 PM »

The strongest stuff I have ever tried is Stroh 80, an Austrian liqueur.  Yes, the 80 stands for 80%, and it burns like anything from just a sip.

Learn all about it at: http://www.stroh.co.uk/

That's also the strongest stuff that I've ever had, and probably the worst as well....just like you said, it does nothing but burn, and hardly has any taste to it from what I remember Wink

As for Absinthe, I was going to try the real stuff not too long ago, but the guy who was going to get ahold of a couple bottles didn't manage anymore.  I'm not sure exactly where this stuff is legal & illegal within Europe, but I've heard that it is becoming more legal again.  I definitely want to give it a try sometime, seeing as I don't do drugs other than drinking alcohol, so I want to see if it really makes you hallucinate or not.  Wink  

Also, a nice strong drink worth mentioning is Bols Goldstrike with its authentic 24kt gold flakes! Smiley  It's a 100 proof (50%) cinnamon schnapps with a nice strong taste.  The cap even contains the volume of a shot glass, so it's perfect for taking a few shots Wink  It's not even that expensive...costs around 15 euro for a 700ml bottle if I'm not mistaken.  And yes, it states that they are authentic 24kt gold flakes that you see floating inside the bottle! Wink

-Speedy

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 12:09:37 AM »

I'm bound to trip if I drink Absinthe, I see things when I smoke grass!

20 GOTO 10

RUN
Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 12:30:09 AM »

If you guys want some really hard stuff try drinking Everclear.  

http://www.beerliquors.com/liquors/grain.htm

Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 01:11:04 AM »

They sell stuff with around that much alc% at the local supermarket here for mixing purposes...I don't think I'll ever bother drinking something like that pure, since it'll do nothing but burn and is pretty much undrinkable....it would be good for mixing tho, and of course disinfecting a wound Wink

-Speedy

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Sauza12
DB Contributor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 06:24:31 AM »

Also, a nice strong drink worth mentioning is Bols Goldstrike with its authentic 24kt gold flakes!   It's a 100 proof (50%) cinnamon schnapps with a nice strong taste.  The cap even contains the volume of a shot glass, so it's perfect for taking a few shots   It's not even that expensive...costs around 15 euro for a 700ml bottle if I'm not mistaken.  And yes, it states that they are authentic 24kt gold flakes that you see floating inside the bottle!  

There is another liquor exactly like that that I drink every once in a while called Goldschlager.  The only difference is that mine is only 80 proof.

btw, for a suprisingly tasty shot, mix equal parts Goldschlager (or Bols Goldstrike) and Jose cuervo Gold.  I mixed this shot one night in an effort to make the most disgusting shot ever and it came out quite good.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length