RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:16:35 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | The Gaming Diary: Chapter 3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 159 Print
Author Topic: The Gaming Diary: Chapter 3  (Read 850039 times)
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #1470 on: August 28, 2017, 01:34:59 PM »

@Disposed Hero: Thanks for the recommendation! I've finished the first game in the series but haven't started any of the others.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1471 on: August 29, 2017, 05:21:41 AM »

Played Guacamelee! for a little over two hours and I cannot lie anymore: I've not having an ounce of fun with this game.  Well, I do like the art direction, but I just don't like the gameplay.  Maybe if it was a lot more Metroid-vania than precision platforming/action I would be more into it.  Oh well, into the pile it goes.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #1472 on: August 29, 2017, 12:51:57 PM »

Played Guacamelee! for a little over two hours and I cannot lie anymore: I've not having an ounce of fun with this game.  Well, I do like the art direction, but I just don't like the gameplay.  Maybe if it was a lot more Metroid-vania than precision platforming/action I would be more into it.  Oh well, into the pile it goes.

I have a similar opinion of Guacamelee!.  The laser focus on precision platforming and its color-coded puzzle combat instead of exploration and more freeform combat encounters really turned me off of a game I thought I would enjoy.

In other news, my PSone controller cord was tangled up with the cord from my Starpath Supercharger.  You know how it is.

Fighting Force (PS1) is the inferior port of this game.  The inexplicably pulled in camera makes the action disjointed and nonsensical.  You can pull the camera out, but only if you hold a shoulder button.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #1473 on: August 30, 2017, 09:10:40 AM »

It's going to be a busy weekend. It looks like the story mode in G.O.A.T. Simulator 2018 is good.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
nardgev
Tiger Gizmondo

WWW Stats
« Reply #1474 on: September 02, 2017, 02:11:59 PM »

I didn't like the Guacamelee  gameplay as well, I don't know what exactly I didn't like, but I couldn't play if more then 2-3 hours

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #1475 on: September 05, 2017, 10:06:34 AM »

Yakuza 0 (PS4) - Started Chapter 12. I really like this game. The short stories are where the game shines. I highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoyed Shenmue but it looking for something more.

Tales of Beseria (PS4) - This is a sequel to Tales of Zestria and comes with a better story. The gameplay is almost identical to the other games in the Tales series.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #1476 on: September 12, 2017, 06:57:33 AM »

I finished Yakuza 0 so I grabbed a couple more games:

Destiny 2 is fun and I hope to play some more soon.

Knack II is a decent game and the first one in a long time to have couch co-op. If you have kids or find this one for around $20 grab it. I've almost finished it. It's a good thing too as I have to pick up Uncharted the Lost Legacy.

I just installed Pillars of Eternity last night and hope to start it soon.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:59:20 AM by Addicted » Logged

Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1477 on: September 12, 2017, 06:30:46 PM »

Bulletstorm (PC) - Blitzing through the campaign, not even monitoring skillshot progress. Just killing as much as possible, in as many fun ways as possible Smiley

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #1478 on: September 15, 2017, 08:44:11 AM »

Knack II - Finished and like it. The game really ramps up from level 8 to 15.

Destiny 2 - Finished the first couple missions. I like this a lot more than Destiny 1.

Uncharted Lost Legacy - A really nice looking game. I knew it was a bit short but it seems I'm flying through it as I'm already at chapter 4 out or 9.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #1479 on: September 18, 2017, 07:08:55 AM »

Uncharted Lost Legacy - Finished. I like this game a lot more than Uncharted 4. There wasn't any fat to the story with a lot of visually impressive set pieces.

Destiny 2 (X1) - Still having a lot of fun playing this. I made it to level 8 and started levels on Titan.

NBA 2k18 should be arriving this week and maybe Marvel VS Capcom.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1480 on: September 19, 2017, 07:27:03 AM »

Playing me some Resident Evil 6.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #1481 on: September 21, 2017, 12:16:53 PM »

Update since I last checked in almost 2 months ago:

Persona 5 - Finally finished this game a couple of weeks ago with a total time of about 120 hours.  For such a long game, I never felt like I got tired of it.  What's more, even after finishing it, I kind of wanted to start it over and do it again, although I stopped myself so I could knock out some more titles.  Amazing game.  I'll probably just hold off on doing a repeat playthrough until the equivalent 'FES' or 'Golden' edition comes out and maybe finally get around to some of the other games in the series in the mean time.

Horizon Zero Dawn - I had some ups and downs with this game, but I finished it with a positive lasting impression.  The story is what really held it together for me.  They saved it from being another Skynet scenario by throwing in some unique twists.  I think I just became a little overwhelmed with how much there was to do in this game, and I really started to enjoy it much more once I started focusing on the main story missions.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - I wrote a review on this game for the front page, so refer to that for detailed thoughts.  In short, I really enjoyed it and look forward to starting the sequel sometime soon.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - I blew through this in a weekend.  I've always been a big fan of the Uncharted series, but I didn't care for this one as much.  I'm really not sure why.  It was a refreshing change of pace to have Chloe as the lead character instead of Nathan Drake, though.

Galaxy of Pen & Paper - I've been going through the motions with this game for a while, but I finally decided last night to put this one down.  I was enjoying it well enough that I thought I might finish it, but I just encountered a part where you have to go through 10 floors of an area answering 'security' questions.  If you get one wrong, you have to fight a battle.  At the end of it all is an overly difficult and cheap boss fight.  When you inevitably lose the fight, you have to go back through all 10 floors tediously answering the questions again.  I'm done.

Shining Force II - Still working on this.  Just defeated Cameela.

The Last Guardian - Been playing this as well for the playthrough.  I'm enjoying it, but it's been slow going for me, mostly due to all the stuff I'm currently playing.

Yakuza Kiwami - Yakuza has really become one of my favorite series lately.  I absolutely loved Yakuza 0, so starting this one was a no brainer.  I'm only a few hours into it so far, but of course I'm really enjoying it.  I actually haven't progressed very far into the main story yet because I get so distracted by side quests and other activities.  I spend way more time with the Pocket Circuit minigame than I should...

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle - My first and only game I own for the Switch so far.  I'm really enjoying it so far.  I know Nintendo told Ubisoft that they didn't want platforming in the game, but I think this game could have benefited from some platforming in the exploration sections.  I find the game to be a bit monotonous just going from battle to battle.

Metroid: Samus Returns - I know everybody seems to love this game, and I am enjoying it, just not as much as I thought I would.  Maybe it's because I just finished playing through Super Metroid, and most things don't compare to Super Metroid.

Sonic Mania - I'm probably about halfway through this game.  Again, I'm not really enjoying it as much as I thought I would.  I've never been a huge Sonic fan, but I have enjoyed the classic games in the past.  I'm not even sure why, but I haven't been enjoying this one as much.  The soundtrack is great though!

The Walking Dead - It's getting that time of year again, so I thought I'd start up Telltale's The Walking Dead to kick off some horror-themed games.  I'm about halfway through the first season, but I plan on playing through all 3 seasons.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1482 on: September 21, 2017, 04:46:41 PM »

I always appreciate your posts here, Steven. Very useful.

I just finished a corny as hell Star Fox/Ace Combat wannabe hybrid called Time Ace on the Nintendo DS. Gamestop sells it for 2.99. Grab it if you see it, it's fun.

Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #1483 on: September 21, 2017, 09:04:07 PM »

I always appreciate your posts here, Steven. Very useful.

Thanks man!  Maybe that will motivate me to do these posts more often!

Metroid: Samus Returns - I know everybody seems to love this game, and I am enjoying it, just not as much as I thought I would.  Maybe it's because I just finished playing through Super Metroid, and most things don't compare to Super Metroid.

Just wanted to follow up on this part.  I played the game a bit more today, and I don't know what happened, but suddenly it just clicked and I'm really liking it now!

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #1484 on: September 23, 2017, 01:14:28 AM »

Started Super Mario World again.  Let's see where it goes this time.

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 159 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length