RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:23:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | The Gaming Diary: Chapter 3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 159 Print
Author Topic: The Gaming Diary: Chapter 3  (Read 854498 times)
ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« Reply #1080 on: May 30, 2016, 04:11:18 PM »

Every day I have to unlock an achievement that is .2 TA higher than the last day.

TA points are used to gage the rarity of an achievement. I don't know the exact algorithm but basically it is the number of people who have played the game vs how many have unlocked that achievement. The less people that have it unlocked the higher the ratio.

Some people use it to gage difficulty or time sinks. But as games get older it is less applicable. For example Seriously achievement in Gears of War has a super low ratio now compared to the huge amount of time it takes to earn. Also regional stacks tend to have a lower ratio than their NTSC counterparts because the people who go out of their way get them are more likely to complete them.

You should check out TrueAchievements. IMO ot is the best source as far as hunting goes. Keeps you pretty up to date on new releases, DLC, glitched/unobtainables, and a good source for solutions/walkthrus or co-op partners. They also have sister sites for Steam achievements and Playstation Trophies if you are into those.

I gotta ask, Izret, and this is a serious question: What does it take to 100 Percent a Game (All Achievements/Trophies)? As a Gamer who has only done this task ONCE since the 360's launch (Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion), I am really curious how you do it? What's your process?

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1081 on: May 30, 2016, 11:34:55 PM »

Depends greatly on the game.
I haven't 100%ed Elder Scrolls but that is a time sink, i believe it has missables and requires multiple playthrus too(or at least aligning with multiple factions?)

There are games that are straightforward and just require playing thru the story, there are games that require performing specific highly detailed tasks. there are games with specific events that only happen at certain times (in game or corresponding with real world dates/times)

Before i start a game the first thing i do is check for unobtainables, missables or buggy achievements. This obviously doesn't work so well with new titles or anything that has recently been patched but i rarely play new games and always try to dodge patches.

Other than that it heavily depends on the game.

Some i blaze thru with a guide (Beyond Eyes[sucked] and Albedo: Eyes from Outer Space[decent] both started/completed today)
Others i enjoy and go back for mop up later (Pacman and the Ghostly Adventures 2 and The Lego Movie Games with my son today)
Some i do a mix. Making sure i don't miss certain achievements that would require a full playthru and/or could become permanently locked and/or are significantly easier to obtain at certain points (Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign and Killer Instinct also both played today)

It is only moderately different from how i played before achievements. Trying to see all the endings in an RPG or hit the 100% mark (or higher) in a platformer, beating the best times in a racer, etc

One difference is now i tend to be more driven to do those things. There is easily seen evidence that they were done versus the save files i have hanging out on memory cards. I don't need to keep a list of my feats or things to go back and do because my gamertag has it all there already.
Another difference is i'm less likely to play a AAA title or 40+ hour game. But if anyone ever read thru all my posts in these "games played" threads they would know i played a TON of garbage well before there were achievements for doing so Tongue
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 11:43:57 PM by Izret101 » Logged

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #1082 on: May 31, 2016, 02:23:03 AM »

Interesting, never looked at trophies/achievement in that way, but that makes total sense.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #1083 on: June 03, 2016, 09:28:39 AM »

Doom (X1) - Finished and it's a great game.

Illusion of Gaia (SNES): It's a little different than I expected but still a fun game.

Homefront (X1): Terrible but I'll give it one more chance.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #1084 on: June 04, 2016, 04:59:45 PM »

I haven't checked in in a long while, so I won't even try to go over what I've been playing over all that time.  As for what I'm currently playing:

Illusion of Gaia - Just started this for the community playthrough.  One of my favorites on the SNES, so I'm glad to be revisiting this one.

Yakuza 5 - I've been playing this one off and on since it came out.  I like the game, but it hasn't kept my attention like other games in the series have.

Majora's Mask - Started this one on the 3DS not too long ago, but haven't played it in a little while.  I've enjoyed what I've played of it so far, so hopefully I'll start putting some more time into this one soon.

Mafia - I played this way back in the day when it originally came out on PC, so I'm just now starting this up and revisiting it.  I'm incredibly hyped for Mafia III coming out in October, so I'm trying to revisit the first two before getting my hands on the third game.  I remember really enjoying the original Mafia but don't remember it very well.  Mafia II was one of my favorite games of the last console generation, so I'm really looking forward to revisiting that one when I get to it.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #1085 on: June 08, 2016, 11:48:12 AM »

Dark Souls III - finished NG+, I have only 5 trophies to get. I need 1 more sorcery, 1 more Miracle, and Two more Pyromancy Spells, to get those trophies. I also need one more ending to get. I am so close, I have never got 100% trophies before.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1086 on: June 10, 2016, 09:23:49 AM »

Finished Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign on the One

Trying to plow through Rocket League. It is free on Xbox One for the weekend.
Linksies!: https://store.xbox.com/en...1e-4da0-8a9f-bf4b4854de0a

Been mostly idling my way thru Blast'em Bunnies. I think i ran into a glitch with my daily challenges. Won't know for sure until tomorrow.

Still knocking out an achievement a day in Killer Instinct to keep me in the ratio competition. (Down to 190 people. Right around 10% of competitors left.)

Playing Beautiful Katamari here and there with my son.

Wempster
Donor
United States
Awards: 2016 RFGen Top Wheelman

WWW Stats
« Reply #1087 on: June 10, 2016, 06:08:00 PM »

Started up the first Mass Effect on my 360.  I'm mainly a Nintendo gamer so there are several big franchises I haven't played yet and I'm trying to fix that.  I have (somehow) managed to stay spoiler free about whatever the ending to Mass Effect 3 was that had so many people mad.  Looking forward to going through this series.
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1088 on: June 11, 2016, 02:20:47 PM »

FINALLY FINISHED!! Dungeon Fighter LIVE: Fall of Hendon Myre - The Irish Couple was able to find someone to help me wrap it up. We had to complete 50 rooms with no healing and i was the only one who had any revive gems. The game lost support years ago and was then removed from the marketplace. When the support dropped so did the ability to buy revive crystals. Since it is linked to your profile the 10 you have when you start the game are the only 10 you will ever get. YAY MICROTRANSACTIONS! I guess the other games in the series have done well on PC and are much higher quality than this was.

Finished Rocket League. Sorta. New DLC drops next week. Got 1k for free but i'll have to wait for a sale or another freebie period before i finish i again. Game is not worth 20$s to me. (On sale for ~17$ ATM still too expensive for me.)

Blast'em Bunnies was definitely glitched. As soon as i touched base with the devs on twitter tho the problem miraculously fixed itself. Already turboing it again in preparation for heading to work tonight.

Played Pacman and the Ghostly Adventures 2 for about an hour last night. Managed to get some gold medals. Not really looking forward to replaying nearly the whole game to get golds in everything...

Last but not least Killer Instinct. Knocked out the last of my 200 matches with Sadira while i was playing Dungeon Fighter. I live to fight another day in the TA Leapfrog contest. 40 days down. Its looking like i should be able to make another week without much issue. Which is absolutely insane to say the least. Xbox One has completely killed what the TA Ratio originally stood for. Things should level out over time. Going for something that is a 3+ ratio on the 360 you know generally requires a ton of skill/time or both. Getting something with a 3-11 ratio on the One can take as little as a 5 minutes of your time.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1089 on: June 11, 2016, 04:43:27 PM »

Started up the first Mass Effect on my 360.  I'm mainly a Nintendo gamer so there are several big franchises I haven't played yet and I'm trying to fix that.  I have (somehow) managed to stay spoiler free about whatever the ending to Mass Effect 3 was that had so many people mad.  Looking forward to going through this series.

It's a great series, and I thought the ending was fine. Enjoy.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1090 on: June 11, 2016, 05:04:14 PM »

Been puttering on Lego Dimensions for awhile. On the last part of the game now, just procrastinating on getting it done.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1091 on: June 11, 2016, 09:24:02 PM »

Lego Dimensions has no ending. They just announced something like 13 more franchises coming to the game.

MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #1092 on: June 12, 2016, 03:38:34 PM »

If I can ever get my yard work done (assuming my weed whacker battery charges before the afternoon is over), I REALLY need to spend some time this evening with Shantae and the Pirate's Curse so I can finish it up.  Great game so far, loving it on the Wii U.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1093 on: June 12, 2016, 05:03:34 PM »

Lego Dimensions has no ending. They just announced something like 13 more franchises coming to the game.

The game has a main story quest part. There is a hub world that you can explore the worlds of the expansions, if you have them.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1094 on: June 12, 2016, 08:49:31 PM »

Ahhh ok I thought every expansion had a story of some sort driving it.

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 159 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length