RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:02:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Kid Icarus - Retro Playthrough - January 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Kid Icarus - Retro Playthrough - January 2015  (Read 31679 times)
zcrich01
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2015, 09:27:32 AM »

I have to be the worst gamer on RF Gen. Tried 1-3 for about an hour last night. Still can't beat it. Going to start over soon and see if I can somehow improve my status to that point.

I'm pretty sure I'm actually the worst gamer on RF Gen, given my complete suckitude at any and all of the "classics." I'm going to try to get into this one tonight. I've never played it previously, as I did not have an NES in my youth. Should be interesting.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2015, 09:29:14 AM »

I have to be the worst gamer on RF Gen. Tried 1-3 for about an hour last night. Still can't beat it. Going to start over soon and see if I can somehow improve my status to that point.

I'm pretty sure I'm actually the worst gamer on RF Gen, given my complete suckitude at any and all of the "classics." I'm going to try to get into this one tonight. I've never played it previously, as I did not have an NES in my youth. Should be interesting.

Put your seat belt on and steady the course.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2015, 09:33:44 AM »

And like Inigo Montoya says, "prepare to die".  A LOT.

zcrich01
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2015, 09:49:54 AM »

Given my aforementioned suckitude, I have had a lifetime of preparation for such things. I beat the first boss in GI Joe on my 4th try the other day and was completely elated...and then I read a walkthrough that said it is hands-down the easiest boss in the game and that you shouldn't take a hit from it unless you suck. Point taken
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2015, 10:05:07 AM »

I didn't really set any checkpoints for this game, but if you want them, I'd say Week 1 you should finish through 1-4, Week 2 through 2-4, and so on. After 3-4, there is only one level left where you face Medusa. It might take a few the first two weeks to get through 1-4, but we have a little over 4 weeks this month, so that's okay.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2015, 01:09:58 PM »

And like Magneto says, "welcome to die"
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2015, 02:45:52 PM »

Well my fellow RF Gen/Community Players, it pleases me to say that I finally was able to overcome 1-3 and move on to beat the boss in 1-4, to make the checkpoint this week.

I discovered by replaying the game over and over not only did I improve my skills and memorize the levels and enemy patterns, but I was also able to discover a room near
Spoiler (hover to show)

Once I got that, Enemies that were taking two arrows to kill, only took one. I swear 1-3 must have taken at least 20 tries to beat. The elation I felt after
Spoiler (hover to show)
beating the level, was unbelievable.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2015, 02:58:58 PM »

I started over at 1-3 too because I felt my first playthrough was rushed and sloppy. It was much easier the second time around when I was better prepared.
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2015, 07:02:10 PM »

I have learned the importance of Sacred Chambers.

russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2015, 12:13:47 PM »

I'm grinding on level 2-4. Killing some Mario gombas ha
[img width=700 height=525]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/08/2c9fe18ea35672fedcabce58e9458324.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now your playing with power!
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2015, 01:04:34 PM »

Got up to 3-4. After playing level 3 I can see what people were complaining about with the graphics. Not that I think they're bad, they're not. They're on par with anything else from 1986-1987. The problem is the plain black background. It's tiring by the time you reach level 3. Even SMB1's night stages had clouds in it's sky. I guess they were too cold and tired to produce something like that.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 01:08:11 PM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2015, 10:46:41 PM »

Finally made a clean run through 1-2 to get the arrow upgrade and get the power up. Made it through 1-3 on the second attempt.....odd. Sans some annoying eggplant wizards, I pushed through 1-4 pretty easily. Upgraded arrows on 2-1 and working on the next upgrade on 2-2. Stopped there for now. I've already gotten 2 of the 3 treasures from the training sessions as well.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 10:48:26 PM by singlebanana » Logged

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2015, 11:38:26 PM »

Finally made a clean run through 1-2 to get the arrow upgrade and get the power up. Made it through 1-3 on the second attempt.....odd. Sans some annoying eggplant wizards, I pushed through 1-4 pretty easily. Upgraded arrows on 2-1 and working on the next upgrade on 2-2. Stopped there for now. I've already gotten 2 of the 3 treasures from the training sessions as well.

We are on the same part. Watch out for the Plutons. They can't be hurt and steal away one of your training session treasures, every time they hit you.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2015, 08:25:01 AM »

We are on the same part. Watch out for the Plutons. They can't be hurt and steal away one of your training session treasures, every time they hit you.
I fall into a pit and start the level over when I get hit by those things. I'm trying to give the best ending a good effort.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2015, 09:12:48 AM »

So, to get the 3rd power up arrow on 2-2 (located in the 4th door),  you have to go past the door onto the next platform. You have to kill 8-10 of the falling rock men while making sure that you don't go too far right and put the door too far off screen. I tried this a few times last night and was unable to make it happen. I think I made the mistake of not grabbing the Sacred Bow as my first training room item (grabbed the Protective Crystals instead), since it greatly increases arrow reach and the ability to kill enemies that aren't that close.

I have the long bow, but have not filled up my energy yet to activate it (a pretty annoying aspect of this game).  Is there any order that the rest of you use in acquiring training room items? I typically get the fire arrows last.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:15:20 AM by singlebanana » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length