RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:51:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Colecovision Game Suggestions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Colecovision Game Suggestions  (Read 1444 times)
ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« on: March 01, 2015, 07:51:34 AM »

Hey all. I recently bought a Colecovision that came with...well, everything. That is, Expansion Modules 1 and 2, Roller Controller and 8 games. (Picture: http://i.imgur.com/sPJoQlK.jpg ) That being said, apart from the games in that picture, what games do you guys recommend getting to play?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 11:01:58 AM »

Nice Score Redd!!! Just me speaking, but I think that the Colecovision is a highly underrated system. Most people had the 2600 growing up and its popularity greatly overshadowed this gem. Growing up, I had the 2600 all around me, but oddly my Dad had a work friend who owned a Colecovision and he took me over to his house to play every few months or so. I think you'll be surprised at how nice the graphics are and there are some really fun games for the system. As far as recommendations, here you go:

Ladybug - looks like you already have it. This was a very popular arcade machine when I was growing up and other than homebrews, it was only available on this system

Frenzy - a fun and much more advanced version of Berzerk

2010: Graphic Action Game - a kind of neat Qix clone somewhat based on the movie

Bump n Jump - one of the better earlier ports of this game

Pepper II - a great fill-in game similar to Amidar

Nova Blast - a Defender-like shooter

Wing War - fun dragon game, like Nova Blast, an iMagic title pretty specific to this home console

Jumpman Jr. - a fun girder, ladder and jump game

Spy Hunter & Root Beer Tapper - great ports of these classics

Smurfs: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle & Gorf (you have) - are great ports as well and like many other games on this system, are improvements over the 2600 versions

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 01:37:46 PM »

It's hard to tell from the picture, but if you don't have it, definitely play Time Pilot. My favorite game for the system.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 04:14:23 PM »

Sweet, Redd!  This is an awesome system to own (I hope to pick up an original one day).  Looks like you already have a great start (can't go wrong with Ladybug, Gorf, DK Jr., and especially Smurfs) so:

Montezuma's Revenge - Love this game.  Not the best version, but fun enough if you don't own another copy

Gateway to Apshai - Same as Montezuma.  A fun early action-rpg.

Venture - I stink at this game but I can't quit it for some reason.

Pepper II - SB already listed it, but I've spent many hours playing this game.  Tons of fun.

There are some great homebrews released on the console.  The Search for the Stolen Crown Jewels games come immediately to mind.  A little pricey, but fun.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Ze_ro
Donor
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 12:46:40 PM »

I'm amazed I don't see Donkey Kong in your pic... probably the most common CV game there is, and it was an excellent port at the time. NES version beats it out today, but DK is a game you can probably find for a dollar, or in basically any CV lot you come across.

I'll second basically everything already mentioned above, especially Pepper II and Venture. I loved those games back in the 80's. I'll also add: Antarctic Adventure, Burgertime, Frogger, Q*Bert, Slither (you already have the controller, but I don't see the game), and Tutankham.

--Zero
Vectorguy
Jaguar CD
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 01:46:50 PM »

War Games.  I played that at my friend's house.  A bit like Missile Command, but you have to switch to various parts of the country (U. S.) to defend each area at a time.  There's a certain point in every game when the attacks get massive!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length