RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:10:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | RF Generation Podcasts (Moderators: Crabmaster2000, Duke.Togo, wildbil52) | RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 31 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 31  (Read 37228 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 04:40:21 PM »

Like Duke, I have to go with Combat.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 05:45:45 PM »

@GrayGhost81: Wow. I've been mad before, but never enough to physically destroy something. Hats off to you, sir!

@RetroRage: I have no idea what Player FM is, but yea!

@Crabby: I'd be interested to hear your list. Perhaps we'd have beat up on YOU! I do feel bad about Run to the Hills. I had it right, but I doubted myself. Never again.

@Addicted: No worries. I won't be checking it out. I'll just be "broke" every time it's recommended. Jungle Hunt was so good for the time. Trying to jump over the bad guys at the end always got me.

Crabmaster2000
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 07:55:47 PM »

My list would have been something like this:

Akiba's Trip - This is kinda like Duke's Hyperdimension Neptunia pick. Everything about the game sounds enjoyable, but the basic game mechanics ruined the entire experience for me. Which sucks because it had a great intro that pulled me in right away.

Bravely Default (Cue Duke Rage) - I put about 2 hours into this game 100% expecting to love this game. I kept constantly getting reminded about the movile-esque features of spending real life money or inviting friends into my game though and it just killed any job I was getting from the battle/job systems and story in the game. I couldn't concentrate on anything else.

Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth - With 2D games and many different genres of games I have a seemingly endless amount of patience and persistence. None of that applies to FPS games. Call of Cthulhu was a game that I was very much into and enjoying every second until I died. And I would die a lot, both because its a challenging game and because FPS games are not my strong suit. Probably about halfway in I got too frustrated with the amount of deaths and gave in. Which was a shame because the atmosphere and story were both very engaging. 

Catherine (100%) - Don't know if this counts, because I did actually beat the game. There were 3 trophies I couldn't manage to get no matter how hard I tried though. After countless hours I added Catherine to my stack of defeat Sad

Dead Space (More Duke Rage??) - I think I built this up in my mind as something like "the last survival horror game" before playing it. I didn't actually know much about it other than it was supposed to be scary. I played to about the 6th mission and didn't find it scary, interesting or have any of the survival horror elements I was hoping for. It was just a dark shooty-shoot. Boring

Diablo III - One of the few PC franchises I played a lot as a kid was Diablo and Diablo II. Much like Dead Space I heard good word of mouth, but didn't really know any specifics. A few friends talked me into joining them on the PS4. I went in expecting some Diablo goodness and it started off alright. After Act IV I realized it wasn't what I wanted. What I really loved about the series was planning out my character. Every single skill you put into it was locked in so you spent time figuring out what kind of character you wanted and sometimes relied on your teammates to help you make up for your weaknesses. They took all of that out of Diablo III and made it so you can rebuild your character on the fly at any time. It took me a while to realize it, but that was what I hated most about the game.

Disgaea 3 - I was a HUGE fan of the first Disgaea and to a much lesser extent enjoyed the 2nd game. I figured the 3rd would be equally enjoyable. All of the really technical, "grindy" stuff from the first 2 games became more and more prevalent I felt with this installment. I just wanted to do the bare minimum amount of extra stuff so I could progress the story, but found that impossible with this game.

Final Fantasy VIII - You guys pretty much covered everything I would have said on this one. But I do feel the urge to seek out a set of Tetra Master Cards now.....

King's Quest IV - One of the other PC games of my youth. We played a ridiculous amount of King's Quest 1-4 on our 486. We kept getting to the same sticking point on IV though. There was a wizard that kept you as a slave and we were able to get a lot of items and spells, but every time we escaped from the house he would eventually find us, sometime quicker than others it seemed, and our game would end. Was just never able to figure out whatever it was we had to do to truly escape him.

Metal Gear Twin Snakes - I hear so much love for this series that I had to try it for myself. I've tried it for myself on 3 separate occasions and I just get so bored that I can't continue. I wish I could make myself play more to see what the fuss is about.

Odama - This is just the coolest idea, but the mechanics are not quite there. I'm hopeful that Nintendo revives it on the 3DS or Wii U now that they have the tech down better. RTS/Pinball is just a great idea if they can get the voice commands to function like they should. I tried so hard to get to the end of this game, but felt I had to concede eventually when I kept crushing my own non-responsive troops.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic -  This was one of the first games were I realized that not every game was for everybody despite the rave reviews of my peers. And also that I wouldn't like every game made by the same developer. When I first got my Xbox I played and loved Jade Empire. I heard nothing, but praise for KOTOR and was told I'd love it because of the similarities in gameplay to Jade Empire. I had such a hard time drudging through it that I eventually gave up. It didn't grab me like an RPG or Star Wars title should, but that's ok.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 09:38:46 PM »

Your big problem was that you played Twin Snakes. I think the original is better. I'm sure it hasn't aged as well, but at the time it came out it was amazing.

What drove you away from BD seems trivial to me. After a few hours in you pretty much never hear about that social stuff again unless you want to. The village rebuilding can be done with no friends rather quickly, and is just to open up some shop options. It doesn't even give you access to the best stuff, so you could completely skip the town rebuilding if you liked.

A little surprised about Dead Space, but i'm not sure if you gave it long enough for the story to develop. I can apprecaite not wanting to do that if it didn't click though. Dead Space 2 is a better game, but the story elements rely on you having played the first one to get everything.

KotOR - I get it. It wasn't a mechanically well put together game, but I enjoyed running around in the Star Wars universe. The writing was really well done, and that's what kept me playing. HK-47 is one of my favorite BioWare characters.

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 08:44:53 AM »

Metal Gear Solid is one of my favorite games of all time.  Naturally, I was excited for Twin Snakes.  I have never made it past the first fight with Ocelot when Ninja makes his first appearance.  I absolutely can't stand this game.  It's the equivalent of George Lucas going back and changing Star Wars to me.  All of the cutscenes are given ridiculous over the top action changes that move the presentation from "dystopian future crazy awesome story" to almost a parody of itself.  A real shame.

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 08:45:26 AM »

And FFXIII is great. The battle system is incredible, and I'm ok with them cutting out the exploration, towns and NPCs. I kind of think of it as last gens Mystic Quest. Its like a light version of Final Fantasy.

A man after my own heart

retrosportsgamer
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 12:29:32 PM »

Bil - what was the Wii JRPG you mentioned (that Duke still has sealed)? I must have missed your quick segue to it and then you danced around actually say its name for like TEN MINUTES Wink

Mod @racketboy , twitter: @brad21126

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 12:40:21 PM »

Bil - what was the Wii JRPG you mentioned (that Duke still has sealed)? I must have missed your quick segue to it and then you danced around actually say its name for like TEN MINUTES Wink

The Last Story.  I've heard that complaint before.  We'll try to get better at that.

retrosportsgamer
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 12:45:16 PM »

Nah you're fine - although I did enjoy the episode where you were going out of your way to note that every 5 minutes. Good shtick!

Mod @racketboy , twitter: @brad21126

Crabmaster2000
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 01:04:46 PM »

Could have also been Xenoblade Chronicles. They talked about that one for a while, its a jrpg for the Wii and Im pretty sure Dukes is sealed

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2015, 01:08:12 PM »

Could have also been Xenoblade Chronicles. They talked about that one for a while, its a jrpg for the Wii and Im pretty sure Dukes is sealed

Oh, Right, could have been that too.  Love that game.  Hope to play more someday.

Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »

I never understood why everybody always says CODE: Veronica is the hardest Resident Evil game.  I found Resident Evil 0 to be the most difficult.  

I think FF VIII was a great game other than the dumb draw/junction system and a few of the other quirks you guys mentioned.  Not sure what they were thinking with that.  Although I haven't played it in over 10 years, so maybe if I played it now I would hate it.

Anyway, my list:

Breath of Fire III - I used to rent this game a lot back in the PS1 heyday, but never finished it.  I don't recall much about this game, but I remember that I love the opening segments of this game, and then I think it starts to fall apart a bit about halfway through.  I want to come back to this one someday.

Darksiders - A friend of mine really liked this game, and I've heard others rave about this game as well.  I started it up a few years ago and got a few hours into.  I enjoyed it, but for some reason I put it down and haven't come back to it since.

Deus Ex - I loved this game as a kid.  Really ahead of its time.  I got really close to the end, but never did quite finish it.

Dino Crisis - This game is pretty much just Resident Evil with dinosaurs, but as a huge survival horror fan, I'm alright with that.  I found this game to be ridiculously hard, mostly because the raptors (the standard enemies in the game, think zombies in Resident Evil) respawn!  It's possible that I played this game on a harder difficulty level and maybe they don't respawn on easier difficulties?  I don't know, I'll have to give it another try sometime.

Final Fantasy IX - Alright, this one isn't my fault.  I always say that I beat this game back in the day, but that technically isn't true.  I made it all the way to the final boss, but after a few tries, I just couldn't beat him.  However, I was determined, so my plan was to go back and powerlevel until I could beat him.  Unfortunately, the next time I went to load up my save, I found out that my memory card had somehow gotten corrupted!  *sigh*  Oh well, I was still able to watch the ending since my friend was playing the game at the same time.

Final Fantasy XII - I also got pretty close to the end of this one.  The game got ridiculously hard for me in the later parts, and this was probably because I didn't really make use of the gambit system at all.  I plan to go back sooner or later and replay this one, but I'm still holding out hope for an HD remaster.

Lunar Silver Star Story Complete - I remember playing this as a kid, but don't remember much about it.  I got pretty far into it but never finished it.  Always heard great things about this game.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked - One of the first games I played on the 3DS.  I've heard nothing but great things about this game, but I just couldn't really get into it.

Shining Force II - I rented this game a ton as a kid, but was never able to finish it before it was due back at the store....

Star Wars: KotOR - I really enjoyed this game, I guess I just put it down at some point and never came back to it.  I've played a lot of BioWare games over the years, but I think the only ones I've ever finished are Dragon Age: Origins and ME 2 & 3.

Super Mario 64 - One of the only 3D platformers that I actually like.  I played this game a ton as a kid, but just never beat it.

Really enjoyed the show guys!

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2015, 01:22:29 PM »

3 Things:

(1) Come on Bil, the obvious answer is RBI Baseball: The Movie.

Pikmin was the first to enter my mind.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 01:23:10 PM »

Like Duke, I have to go with Combat.

Combat for me.  My Grandma had it and when we would go there we would bust out the Atari 2600.

SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2015, 01:27:48 PM »

Odama - This is just the coolest idea, but the mechanics are not quite there. I'm hopeful that Nintendo revives it on the 3DS or Wii U now that they have the tech down better. RTS/Pinball is just a great idea if they can get the voice commands to function like they should. I tried so hard to get to the end of this game, but felt I had to concede eventually when I kept crushing my own non-responsive troops.

This one is definitely on my list.  I was excited about this game but once I got it I couldn't get in to it.  It was the mechanics that killed it for me.  Great idea but it needs to be tweaked.

SMS set complete!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length