RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:19:10 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Mega Man 2 & 3 - Retro Playthrough - June 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Mega Man 2 & 3 - Retro Playthrough - June 2015  (Read 36477 times)
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2015, 03:33:23 PM »

The slide comes in handy in that fight.

Yeah, Mega Man 3 really beats you over the head with its new mechanic.  I find the Mega Man games are actually very good at teaching the player their abilities and introducing new hazards.  A very underrated property in games.

Sliding properly did help, but my breakthrough was realizing and utilizing the safe corners.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2015, 05:25:05 PM »

I just finished Mega Man 3.  It was way more challenging than MM2, even when set to the 'Difficult' setting.  Even the return of the MM2 Robot Masters in MM3 were way harder.

This was a cool way for me to finally play through some of these games and get into the series a little bit.  Other than dabbling with these games a little here and there, this was really the first time I've ever seriously sat down and played through these games with the intent of finishing them.  They can be pretty frustrating at times, but there's something about them that kept me coming back for more.  I may fire up the original game some time in the near future.  Smiley

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2015, 05:50:42 PM »

Congrats! And yeah, I might fire that original up as well.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2015, 11:46:11 PM »

Air Man, Crash Man, and Wood Man complete.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 11:53:11 PM by shaggy » Logged

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2015, 06:15:11 AM »

Quickman complete. Wasn't as hard as I first thought. I think you have to make your shots count. It seemed that if I fired a bunch of random shots, that made him act a little crazier.

Also, it's tough to reach him with full health and 2 lives in stock. That final screen with the Sniper Joe's and his robot is more or less impossible to get past without taking chunks of damage.

I find the Mega Man games are actually very good at teaching the player their abilities and introducing new hazards. 

I think Mega Man games have some of the greatest mechanics of all-time. At it's core, it couldn't be more simple - you just jump and shoot (and slide). If you dive deeper, there is a lot you can do with those tools. I'm a veteran at these games, so to me, fighting a boss with the weapon that it's weak against is a joke. If you play with only the Mega Buster, you'll see that every boss (MM3 in particular) has an intricate pattern, sometimes multiple patterns.

Take Crash Man for example. If you don't shoot, he won't shoot. He won't even jump. He just runs back and forth across the screen. When you start shooting, that's when $h17 hits the fan.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 07:30:26 AM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2015, 07:48:40 AM »

Popped the original MM this morning. Not as much of an issue with the bosses and stages as I remember. Ugh......no passwords.

[img width=700 height=522]http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y359/necrom99/Playthroughs/EC1A1C12-2172-40DE-AF1B-0F7F10C0CA26_zpsrp2k7cw3.jpg[/img]

Here was my boss/weapon order for those interested:

Gutsman - P
Cutsman - G
Bomberman - P
Elecman - C
Iceman - E
Fireman - I

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2015, 08:08:58 AM »

Popped the original MM this morning. Not as much of an issue with the bosses and stages as I remember. Ugh......no passwords.

[img width=700 height=522]http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y359/necrom99/Playthroughs/EC1A1C12-2172-40DE-AF1B-0F7F10C0CA26_zpsrp2k7cw3.jpg[/img]

Gutsman - P
Cutsman - G
Bomberman - P
Elecman - C
Iceman - E
Fireman - I

I think a password system would have made Mega Man near-perfect, though it's still my favorite Mega Man game without them.

My boss order is:

Fireman --> Bombman --> Gutsman --> Cutman --> Iceman --> Elecman

Though it seems like I have Elecman and Iceman reversed.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2015, 09:41:07 AM »

My MM1 boss order: Cut/Guts > Elec > Ice > Fire > Bomb

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2015, 06:38:40 PM »

Extra credit?
[img width=700 height=525]http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/jackcrow2000/A04895F7-21F6-4FE8-B7A1-D857CBFCEE15_zpslqx6blbr.jpg[/img]

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2015, 11:11:08 PM »

laugh I got to Wiley's Castle and I forgot that damn dragon comes from behind.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 11:22:27 PM by shaggy » Logged

SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2015, 11:22:17 PM »

Ugh, I forgot that you have to complete Wiley's Castle in one sitting. Sad

SMS set complete!
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2015, 08:36:10 AM »

Started Mega Man 2, and everyone is right.  Going after Metal Man first and having the Metal Blade to blow through stages with makes the first few stages & bosses pretty easy.  Last night, in the scope of about 45 minutes or so, I downed the first 5 of 8 bosses.  I eventually gave up on the Heatman stage because of that long series of disappearing/reappearing platforms (the bane of all Mega Man games), and figure I'll pick back up on my next play through.  I was very surprised how quickly I accomplished that, however.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2015, 08:44:26 AM »

Gutsman - P
Cutsman - G
Bomberman - P
Elecman - C
Iceman - E
Fireman - I

Thanks for listing the bosses and their weaknesses.  I never know which power to use on which boss and don't feel like doing all the trial and error.

I just got a Retron 5 and started playing the original MM on it.  It's a cool system, and it's awesome to be able to save states in between levels just so I don't have to play the entire game in one sitting.  However, I'm noticing significant input lag on my HDTV, and it's making the game much more difficult than it should be.  I've done a side by side comparison between the Retron and the NES, and it's night and day.  I tried configuring my TV's settings, and it seemed to help somewhat, but the lag is still a problem.  I'm going to try updating the firmware when my new SD card comes in (can't find my old one) and see if that helps.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2015, 08:45:57 AM »

I eventually gave up on the Heatman stage because of that long series of disappearing/reappearing platforms (the bane of all Mega Man games), and figure I'll pick back up on my next play through.

I didn't even attempt to do that platforming section.  I just bypassed it using Item-2.  Anybody else do this?

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2015, 10:02:55 AM »

I eventually gave up on the Heatman stage because of that long series of disappearing/reappearing platforms (the bane of all Mega Man games), and figure I'll pick back up on my next play through.

I didn't even attempt to do that platforming section.  I just bypassed it using Item-2.  Anybody else do this?

I usually abuse RushJet in MM3 on such sections.  Which stage do you get Item 2 at the end of?  Maybe I'll go tackle that one first and come back to Heatman Grin

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length