RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:49:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Random Moving Question 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Random Moving Question  (Read 2082 times)
A8scooter
CD-i

WWW Stats
« on: June 24, 2015, 05:10:09 AM »

When you move ( get married or upgrading or downgrading in size of a house ) How big of an U-Haul truck must you fill in just your collection alone before you may for a second agree with your spouse that maybe your collection of gaming is a wee bit too big . ( Only considering this thought for a second ). Thoughts? Comments ? I figure this would be an interesting convo for us.

Then again how many boxes of your collection must be filled before you say this is getting pretty big and maybe i need to consider do i need it this big

Currently looking for :

Atari 8 bit
+ game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
+ Prototype and Demo cartridges
+ manuals and boxes
+ Atari 130XE system, and any system boxes outside of the Atari 400 system.
Check out my Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at:
[url]http://www.a8museum.com[
ScottyDont00
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 05:38:20 AM »

The second you thought about this was 1 second too long and your wife knew about the collection going in and agreed to stay with you for better or worse and there are a lot of things you could be into that are worse then collecting video games.

As long as you keep them organized and do not strain yourselves financially at the expense of getting new games there should be no issues...  IMO

We're all victims of our gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours. - Walter Bishop
A8scooter
CD-i

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 05:50:20 AM »

oh no its not that she isnt cool with it or ive over spent but its just the realization when you are packing up that the boxes seem to never end  when moving.  just the moving out and moving in part of it.  Ever just go dang this is alot of stuff.  ( i know people joke about it with normal household items ) but with games do gamers ever think like that ?

Currently looking for :

Atari 8 bit
+ manuals and boxes
ScottyDont00
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 06:06:51 AM »

This feeling shall pass.. once its all unpacked and looking pretty you will forget that this crazy thought ever entered your mind.

Glad to know the wife is not part of this momentary lapse in judgement....  Good luck with move!

We're all victims of our gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours. - Walter Bishop
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 07:59:50 AM »

Depends on how far you are moving. When I moved four years ago, I refused to let movers handle my collection and wouldn't put them on a truck to be crushed. I made several trips to the new house thirty minutes away myself.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
ScottyDont00
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 10:46:04 AM »

Depends on how far you are moving. When I moved four years ago, I refused to let movers handle my collection and wouldn't put them on a truck to be crushed. I made several trips to the new house thirty minutes away myself.

I don't let anyone carry my systems when traveling to and from Michigan from NC for holidays or when I have moved in the past.. Didn't have a kid back when I moved down to NC from Michigan so the systems were neatly packed into backpacks and boxes and buckled in the passenger and back seats for the 11 hour drive...

I also recently got into a verbal disagreement with a TSA worker over the way he handled my XBONE when I traveled for work for a few weeks. Glad I was already through the body scan other wise I might have had a few extra search measures taken against me....
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 12:51:38 PM by ScottyDont00 » Logged

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 10:49:25 AM »

When you move ( get married or upgrading or downgrading in size of a house ) How big of an U-Haul truck must you fill in just your collection alone before you may for a second agree with your spouse that maybe your collection of gaming is a wee bit too big . ( Only considering this thought for a second ). Thoughts? Comments ? I figure this would be an interesting convo for us.

Then again how many boxes of your collection must be filled before you say this is getting pretty big and maybe i need to consider do i need it this big

How large is too large, you say? Shortly after my move:

[img width=700 height=525]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Py_4MWMw59k/T0pC7SHaudI/AAAAAAAAAd8/n2rXGAYbR4M/s912/WP_000360.jpg[/img]

The only thing we allowed the movers to handle was the arcade cabinet, and we had to sign a waiver that any damage caused would not be held liable against them (since they weren't licensed to move it, but offered anyways). 40+ boxes, if you're curious. Like Rich said, living close made the decision easy, but living far away you don't have the luxury of moving that many boxes unless you drive to your new place or pack the truck yourself. It did give us pause once we realized that half of what we moved was the game collection, and we realized we should probably downsize to focus on the collecting and clean up what we currently have.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 10:54:58 AM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 04:29:43 AM »

It's different for everyone, really. My experience had highs and lows. Mind you, I moved from the states to Canada. When I initially decided to move I packed only 4 (rather large) boxes containing bits of my collection to go immediately to Canada. About 1/4 of it was sold immediately. The rest was kept in storage for a few years until I could come back for it. The total amount of boxes I had made Shadow Kisuragi's photo look like a shoe box full of games. Also of note when I moved I sent everything UPS. It was the cheapest method. I knew the risks. Amazingly nothing was damaged.

When I went back, it was obvious that I needed to downsize - big time. Canadian customs required me to list every effing item I was bringing into the country. I limited myself to 30 boxes (also rather large). I then sold what was left after packing (about 3/4 of what I had in storage). It was a MAJOR pain in the ass. The story doesn't end there though.

10 years later I still have about 16 boxes that I haven't unpacked. The stuff has just been sitting in my bedroom. Recently I realized that it's unlikely I'll ever unpack it to set up a game room, or even just to place around the house. The boxes are just taking up room. At this point I've decided that selling the stuff that's been sitting around still packed would be wise. Over the years I have sold bits and pieces at a time, of the things that I did unpack.

My reasons for selling were a mixture of not having space and needing money. Truth be told though, with the going rates for games and such locally I wish I'd have brought it all here. If I had no joke, I could have bought a car with the money from selling just NES games alone. I say if you have the space, hang on to the stuff. Even if you aren't going to unpack it all. It's a good investment if nothing else.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
A8scooter
CD-i

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 02:03:49 PM »

Yeah gf and I realize 70 to 80 of our move when it's time is going to be my gaming stuff. Plus the arcade.  I have a feeling it's gonna clear 80 boxes but system moving corns me and I think u haul might be the best option so things get packed safely.  I'm glad to hear how these bigger collections get moved 

Currently looking for :

Atari 8 bit
+ manuals and boxes
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length