RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:25:18 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | February 2016 Community Playthough - Folklore 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: February 2016 Community Playthough - Folklore  (Read 14377 times)
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 08:53:47 AM »

I'm starting to uncover an interesting murder mystery. Can't wait to start talking about this game with everyone.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 10:05:44 AM »

I've played through both prologues so far and I'm really liking it. The visuals are great and I'm liking the characters so far. My only complaint right now is that I really wasn't thrilled when I learned I had to flick the controller during combat - I wish there were a way to turn off any type of motion control.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 10:25:43 AM »

I've played through both prologues so far and I'm really liking it. The visuals are great and I'm liking the characters so far. My only complaint right now is that I really wasn't thrilled when I learned I had to flick the controller during combat - I wish there were a way to turn off any type of motion control.

Thats a great point Pam. Unfortunately, the controller movements get even more complicated as you go along. I don't know about everyone else, but it seems somewhat unresponsive at times. This was an early game for the system and the developers really wanted to incorporate the Sixaxis feature. I too wish you could turn it off and maybe map it to buttons. As much as I'm not a big fan of QTEs, I think they would have worked well here.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 01:50:50 PM »

Thats a great point Pam. Unfortunately, the controller movements get even more complicated as you go along. I don't know about everyone else, but it seems somewhat unresponsive at times. This was an early game for the system and the developers really wanted to incorporate the Sixaxis feature. I too wish you could turn it off and maybe map it to buttons. As much as I'm not a big fan of QTEs, I think they would have worked well here.

I'm going to have to disagree with you guys. I really like the use of motion control. It's not obtrusive at all and it really gives off the feeling like you're wrestling with this creature trying to reel in its id. Mapping it to a button would make the game more button mash-y.

It does feel a little unresponsive at times though, and you have to be pretty precise with how you flick, turn and move the controller.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 02:36:48 PM »

I don't mind some of the motion controls, but some of the mechanics are pretty bad.  The one where you have to violently shake the controller up and down comes to mind.  The whole idea of wrestling with the ids reminds me a lot of Luigi's Mansion and even the 2009 Ghostbusters game.  Those games use the analog sticks for a similar type of mechanic, and I feel like those games handle it much better.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 03:12:53 PM »

I think anything even slightly unresponsive is a fail when it comes to controls.  Sorry, but when things aren't working as they are meant to, developers are to blame, there's no excuse for that. I've almost thrown my f*#king controller across the room 10+ times, especially when battling Folklores and I have them down to the Sixaxis phase and fail it multiple times.  Those id battles get more and more complex as you go, and these control failures cause the Folklore to rise again which can result in deaths.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 03:25:35 PM »

Funny you should mention nearly throwing your controller while capturing the ids of Folklores. I always wonder what someone would think if they saw me during one of those scenes because it must look pretty goofy.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 03:41:31 PM »

Funny you should mention nearly throwing your controller while capturing the ids of Folklores. I always wonder what someone would think if they saw me during one of those scenes because it must look pretty goofy.

My wife looks at me like I have a 3rd eye. I think she finally figured out it was voluntary.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2016, 12:41:56 PM »

Week 1 checkpoint added to OP.

Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 11:22:32 AM »

I'm finding it a bit hard to figure out how to beat some of the enemies. I know the pages give hints but I'm not finding them super clear. I'm fighting the first Folklore and I got that I need to toss the spiky guy when he inhales, but am not really sure what to do with the second tentacle. I throw out all sort of attacks which don't seem to do a whole lot.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 11:48:22 AM »

I'm finding it a bit hard to figure out how to beat some of the enemies. I know the pages give hints but I'm not finding them super clear. I'm fighting the first Folklore and I got that I need to toss the spiky guy when he inhales, but am not really sure what to do with the second tentacle. I throw out all sort of attacks which don't seem to do a whole lot.

You actually need to repeat the process for the second tentacle. Don't forget that when the tentacle is down, you need to hit it with your slash folk (the ram).  After both tentacles are dispatched, there is a 2nd phase where you have to use a 3rd folk (I'll post the technique as a spoiler below in case someone doesn't want to see it).

I agree, the books aren't very straight forward since the drawings are a bit ambiguous at times. I kind of like that it doesn't completely spell it out, but certainly understand the frustration.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 05:29:44 PM »

I have the same problem with the storybook, Pam. It's definitely helpful when you can figure out what folks are in the drawings.

The biggest problem I had was with the memory stones. It was frustrating trying different folks until something worked. I eventually learned that the colour denotes which element you need to use (match the memory stone colour to the ring around a folk's icon). Also, there are some places with filters that distort the stone colours.

So far I really like this game and Ellen's voice actress reminds me of an Irish movie called Felicia's Journey. Bob Hoskins was in it. It was weird.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2016, 09:05:45 AM »

I'm up to Chapter 5 with both toons. The Chapter 4 Folklore was much easier than the one from Chapter 3; however, the level design of Chapter 4 was aggravating to say the least (more on that at when we get there).  I bring this up to talk about the balance of the game. In a lot of games, you start out with a fairly rudimentary objective and the first few bosses are typically lightweights that have simple strategies, often times you just bash them with a singular offensive attack. Folklore is a bit different. Though I wouldn't say that the first boss is overly difficult, there is a fair amount of strategy and battle learning that goes into the fight.  I've found myself replaying boss battles multiple times and while some have been overly frustrating (causing near controller throws), for the most part, they are pretty fair once you "learn" them.  Good thing save points are close. I know digging in and learning patterns in fights over multiple deaths isn't for everyone, but for me, there's a great deal of satisfaction in finally overcoming these battles. While bosses typically increase in difficulty as you go from stage to stage (and I find this somewhat true in Folklore), as Steven has mentioned via text, it gets a little easier. For instance, there aren't any sub-bosses in Chapter 4, but instead the designers decided to focus on beefing up the level by adding a maze, time trials, and specific "targeting" feats; the end boss is easier too.  I'm not sure if this holds true in the remaining portion of the game, but we will see.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 09:41:29 AM »

Those are some good points. I've using the storybook more and it's helping for boss fights, but when I just can't understand what the pages are supposed to depict I'll use a guide. Speaking of guides, I really needed one for Chapter 4 but now I have a strategy which makes it a little easier to navigate the maze. I've also noticed that talking to NPCs in the Netherworld Realms is very important. They'll often give you tips on how to catch certain Folks or beat the Folklore at the end of the level.

I'm now at the middle of the game and just got the cliche mid-game plot twist. Which isn't much of a plot twist really since I'm sure everyone will see it coming.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2016, 11:28:50 AM »

Things are a little quiet in here. Is everyone doing OK with this game?

I'll take this moment to share a thought I've had while playing. This game feels very much like a PS2 game to me. The fairly straight forward level designs mirrored for each character, the text box style dialogue, the sparse hub world of Doolin. I guess that could be the case considering Folklore is an early PS3 game so maybe development began during the time of PS2 and Sony had the project moved to its newer console.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length