RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:50:29 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | April 2018 Playthrough - Conker's Bad Fur Day 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: April 2018 Playthrough - Conker's Bad Fur Day  (Read 17235 times)
Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2018, 08:36:21 AM »

I will give this game a go this month. Hopefully I do better at sticking with it than I did with Transformers.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2018, 09:14:17 AM »

I will give this game a go this month. Hopefully I do better at sticking with it than I did with Transformers.

Good luck Pam! We'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2018, 06:33:37 PM »

First impressions are not good. I’m playing the Rare Replay version and am finding the controls laggy and frustrating. All the camera controls are backwards for me and I dont see any way to change them.

The cutscenes so far are kind of dull. And numerous.
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2018, 02:20:31 AM »

First impressions are not good. I’m playing the Rare Replay version and am finding the controls laggy and frustrating. All the camera controls are backwards for me and I dont see any way to change them.

The cutscenes so far are kind of dull. And numerous.
I had to turn my tv to game mode, it help with some of the lag. But the camera does suck, I died a few times because of the bad cams.

Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2018, 03:47:33 PM »

If I miss one more easy jump I will put my controller through the tv. I think I've got to bow out of this one.
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2018, 09:57:54 AM »

So I can't get in to the wasp nest or get to roll the barrel I never have enough money... I wonder if I messed something up by killing the poo monster first before going back and talking to the queen bee

Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2018, 09:57:47 AM »

Riding a t-rex is all kinds of fun. Although that lava race was a major pain in the rear.

Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2018, 08:51:59 PM »

Since Live and Reloaded was just added to XB1 backwards compatibility, I decided to give that version a go. It looks and plays so much better than the Rare Replay version. No inversion of the x axis, no lag. That said... I still don’t really like it. There are so many cutscenes and the voice acting is kind of obnoxious. Also it seems like Conker’s accent changes every time he talks? Sometimes he sounds British, sometimes American, sometimes like he’s got a mouth full of marbles.

I at least got past the intro level with this version of the game, but it’s still not really for me.
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2018, 07:56:12 AM »

The aiming on the zombie level on the reply version was crap, I had to stand on a grave to kill them

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2018, 11:28:54 AM »

The aiming on the zombie level on the reply version was crap, I had to stand on a grave to kill them

I think that all the aiming on this game is crap. Would some sort of cross-hair system have killed them? Geez!

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2018, 03:21:27 PM »

Alright, I was finally able to dig my heels into this game the other day.  I have to say that my impressions of the game are a little better now...but not much.  One positive of the game is that I really like the non-linear nature of it.  It seems that one area acts as sort of a central hub to the game.  You can choose from a few paths several times and you keep returning to this central area to take a different path and clear out other areas of the game. The point as I can tell (haven't finished) is to collect enough money to get past a certain area of the game. I think I've collected like $1110 right now and not sure how much more I need.  I actually think this is a big pro for the game as it lets you choose your path and backtrack a little if you get stuck.  I like how the game areas play back on themselves, though I will steer clear of using the term "Metroidvania." Oh s@$t....does that count?

Another great part of the game is the save states. I don't think the reset is too bad for the most part, especially with the crappy platforming and multiple areas that can be super frustrating at times.  It's not on the fly saving, but it's pretty good and keeps you from falling too far back when you die.  Anyway, kudos for that Rare.

Like I said, the early 3-D platforming is not the greatest here. However, knowing what I was getting into, I can't be too disappointed.  I know a lot of people love the N64, but from the various games I've played on this system and the PS1, I gotta say, "IMHO, Sony did it better."  

Another thing I knew I was getting into with this game was the crude humor, but it's hard to ignore the harshness of certain scenes. I know that Link41 and I have already discussed one of these parts (though not in full detail...must...save...for...podcast), but I was really put-off by the cogs' scene as well.  I don't mind when a game tows the line and I can certainly handle some potty humor (have you met my wife and three kids?), but when it crosses the line and gets down right offensive towards certain groups of people, it really bothers me.  A more ignorant (as in unknowing) pre-teen me would have probably gotten some laughs out of this game, but older, more worldly experienced me feels more uncomfortable.  Just me, and certainly not judging if this is something some of you find funny.

I am going to try and finish this game for sure, but I can't promise it will be before our recording, or at all if it gets too frustrating (did I mention the crappy camera and blind jumps? ughhhhhh). Just some of my thoughts, but so far I have to agree with Pam, this game is really not for me.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 03:56:07 PM by singlebanana » Logged

Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2018, 07:02:00 AM »

I just finished this last night, it has aged okish I guess. Not really my fav N64 game, but it was just ok. I've heard multiplayer was good back in the day, but I'm not exposing my kids to this anytime soon, so I'll just have to wait and see one day.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2018, 10:09:42 AM »

I just finished this last night, it has aged okish I guess. Not really my fav N64 game, but it was just ok. I've heard multiplayer was good back in the day, but I'm not exposing my kids to this anytime soon, so I'll just have to wait and see one day.

Congrats on finishing!  I made it up to the lava racing sequence last night. Gave it a few failed runs before calling it a night.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2018, 06:15:31 PM »

I ended up playing the game this month in small spurts. I finally finished today.

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2018, 08:09:40 PM »

I'm stuck in the vampire castle

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length