RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:21:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | RFGen 2019 NES Challenge 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 97 Print
Author Topic: RFGen 2019 NES Challenge  (Read 468600 times)
bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #255 on: January 12, 2019, 10:08:45 AM »

Meh, to keep the timeline, here's Balloon Fight!

1 player mode high score

Balloon Trip high score

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2019, 10:58:09 AM »

@Disposed Hero- I love Journey to Silius. I always think of the jumping as similar to Castlevania. Once you leave the ground you are committed to that arc so don't jump unless you mean it! Definitely one of my favorite sound tracks on the system. Were you surprised when you had to fight a Terminator at the end?

Haha, I had heard that the game was originally intended to be a Terminator movie tie-in, so the final boss wasn't too much of a surprise. My issue with the jumping wasn't so much the arc, and you actually do still have a bit of control over it once you leave the ground. I had a problem with it simply just not working sometimes when I pushed the button. I think it happened whenever I tried to jump while turning around or while standing back up from crouching, so I think it had something to do with not being able to execute a jump during those animations. It wasn't a huge deal, but it cost me some hits and even a couple of lives in some places. I still certainly enjoyed the game and will likely come back to it in the future.

Rygar obliterated. Shocked at how much of this game I was able to recall. Never got lost or backtracked. Still among my favorites on the system.

I had never played Rygar before, but I toyed around with it the other day, right before you claimed it actually. It seemed pretty good from what I played. I would have tried to beat it myself, but you beat me to it, haha!

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2019, 12:35:35 PM »

After a couple of failed attempts I just wanted to get my name on the board so I knocked out Donkey Kong (pun intended).

Also grabbed proper screenshots for the UK release in the DB
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 12:49:29 PM by Schlibby » Logged
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2019, 01:16:49 PM »

Got my capture settings just how I wanted, but the next time I turned it on, I didn't get a signal!  Gonna futz around with it for a while, but my Vice run may have to go uncaptured.

Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2019, 02:44:38 PM »

Good News: Got my capture rig up and running.

Bad News: I'm yielding Vice: Project Doom.

I can get all the way to the last boss, but the last boss has two forms, and if you die on the last form, you have to go all the way back and repeat the last half of the last stage and both forms of the boss.  If you game over on the last form of the last boss, you have to repeat the entire last stage.  I just don't have the time to grind away on the boss under such circumstances.  

So, after yielding Vice: Project Doom, I claim Yo! Noid.

EDIT: I've been using cheats to make runs at the last boss.  Maybe I was too hasty, I thought.  Maybe I gave up too soon.  Nope.  The boss keeps taking me down time after time.  Ah, well, I got what I wanted out of the game, I hope some other RFGenner can avenge me.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 04:36:22 PM by Ikariniku » Logged

shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #260 on: January 12, 2019, 05:06:20 PM »

Beat Monster in my Pocket

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 12:43:38 AM by singlebanana » Logged
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2019, 06:26:20 PM »

I am officially calling it quits for now on Amagon and I am claiming AD&D Heroes of the Lance. I can't get anywhere on Amagon right now. Hope someone else has better luck with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wempster
Donor
United States
Awards: 2016 RFGen Top Wheelman

WWW Stats
« Reply #262 on: January 12, 2019, 08:43:47 PM »

Its January and that means it's time for some Winter Games!!!
The figure skating was like the half pipe in California Games, I just couldn't figure it out.  I could jump and spin, but I would always fall down.  The speed skating was fun but the Hot Dog Jump was the most fun. Theres not a final screen so here's my scores.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #263 on: January 12, 2019, 08:52:01 PM »

A Nightmare on Elm Street done.

I actually had this game as a kid, but being only about 4-5 years old, I was too scared to really play it. Any time the "1...2...Freddy(TM)'s coming for you..." theme would start, I would turn the game off. I eventually came back to it and beat it several years ago, but haven't played it much since then. Despite all the hate it gets for being an LJN game, it's actually pretty decent. I wouldn't call it a great game, but it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #264 on: January 13, 2019, 06:39:15 AM »

Another productive day in the books!

@Disposed Hero - I don't recall that jump problem ever being an issue for me in Silius. Have you ever played Krion Conquest? That problem you're describing is a major issue in that game. Makes a tough game all the more challenging. And regarding Nightmare on Elm Street, I think that is a solid game all around. Lots of fun to be had. I've even had the pleasure of playing it 4 players with the NES 4-Score and it was unreal, so much fun. LJN gets a lot of hate, but not everything they've done is garbage.

@Ikariniku - So close!! I'm sure someone will be willing to step up and avenge you though.

@Fokakis79 - I'll make the swap for you. Good luck with Heroes of the Lance!

@Wempster - I actually really enjoy a lot of the sports game compilations on the NES. I think Winter Games is among the weakest though. Check out World Games, Snoopy's Silly Sports Spectacular, Caveman Games and Crash n the Boys if you want some other short fun completions.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #265 on: January 13, 2019, 08:01:53 AM »

I've been playing Mega Man 3 all morning and am at Break Man, so I think I'll be able to beat it.
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #266 on: January 13, 2019, 08:37:45 AM »

I've been playing Mega Man 3 all morning and am at Break Man, so I think I'll be able to beat it.

Best NES Mega Man!!! Shoot some snakes at some robots for me!!!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #267 on: January 13, 2019, 09:47:09 AM »

Best NES Mega Man!!! Shoot some snakes at some robots for me!!!

Yeah, this is the only one I really liked as a kid. When I was playing my brother was pantomiming playing with controller 2, and when I fell into a pit at one point it made the noise that I died but didn't reload. After jumping, I realized I was still alive. We had to figure out what exactly caused it, but when we did I was so excited that I'd have a chance at being printed in Classified Information in Nintendo Power. Unfortunately the trick was already submitted and showed up in the next week's issue.

Had trouble getting top man's ability to work on the final Wily form, but eventually got it. Mega Man 3 down.

Going to take on Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle next.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 11:25:39 AM by singlebanana » Logged
shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #268 on: January 13, 2019, 11:06:41 AM »

Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle complete! Those pipe levels are terrible.

Related to the last post, I had the a button on my controller stick a few times, and I'm wondering if Mega Man 3 broke my controller. Going to do some surgery right now to confirm.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 11:26:23 AM by singlebanana » Logged
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #269 on: January 13, 2019, 11:21:59 AM »

Related to the last post, I had the a button on my controller stick a few times, and I'm wondering if Mega Man 3 broke my controller. Going to do some surgery right now to confirm.

Aw man, I hope not.  My NES controller actually got a little soft after playing Challenge "prep" NES games (FF, Super Mario, Bad Dudes, etc.) as well as Clash at Demonhead, but for some reason the softness feels better, and my hands have yet to hurt, despite how hard I sometimes have to press on the controller buttons.

Moving along with Zelda II.  You know, I think most of the time spend on this game back in the 80's and 90's was just wandering around trying to find out what to do next.  Without any help you're left to blindly poking around, which I have to say is annoying sometimes.  I finally broke out the walkthrough for some spots that would have else taken hours get through.  In contrast, the palaces are simple and straightforward.  True, I pretty much only die in the palaces, but I'd rather that than the endless wandering.  How long it took someone to jump onto one of the houses to get the down thrust I have no idea.  Must have started with a Nintendo Counselor or something and spread across the world that way.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 97 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length