RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:59:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | RFGen 2019 NES Challenge 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 97 Print
Author Topic: RFGen 2019 NES Challenge  (Read 465543 times)
Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #360 on: January 25, 2019, 03:15:23 PM »

I have been making progress on Dragon warrior 2 the past few days but it has been years since I have felt angry to the point of almost breaking my controller. I had to set the game aside to play something a bit more relaxing, but I think im ready to get back into it this weekend.....  I WILL DEFEAT YOU, CAVE OF RHONE!!!   Angry
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #361 on: January 25, 2019, 03:48:32 PM »

City Connection is done. I got through the first loop, but didn't get a good pic until the game had moved onto the second loop. Played this a lot as a kid, but it's one of the few games that seemed way harder when I was younger as opposed to now. It's fun for something different, and has solid controls and graphics, but it's probably not worth going out of the way to play if looking for a deep experience.

* 20190124_000105.jpg (1383.22 KB, 2560x1440 - viewed 219 times.)
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #362 on: January 26, 2019, 01:34:31 AM »

Dragon Warrior IV complete, and WOW! What a fantastic game. While I'm no expert when it comes to RPG's on the NES, I have to think this one would be tough to top. Great story, great music, great sprites, and only occassional grinding.

I posted a full review on the blog page, feel free to check it out-

http://www.rfgeneration.c...S-Dragon-Warrior-3871.php

* 20190122_194139.jpg (855.42 KB, 2560x1440 - viewed 221 times.)
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #363 on: January 26, 2019, 09:53:50 AM »

Wow is Dragon Power a difficult game!  It represents everything I love and hate about "janky" Famicom games; difficult, obtuse with its gameplay, and 100% random with item placement.  And once you progress to a certain point, learning how to survive, you get a nasty surprise:

Spoiler (hover to show)

The random item drop, though, is the true challenge of this game.  You will need health, but you might never get it.  But as backwards as it might seem, I think the strategy is to start from the beginning of the game, instead of hoping for a miracle (with multiple cake drops) in the later stages.  I'll get back later is this strategy actually works.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #364 on: January 26, 2019, 01:07:47 PM »

Wanted to sleep on it for a few days, but I think I'm going to do Mega Man 6 as my next claim. While I've played it briefly, it's the only NES Mega Man I've never really sunk my teeth into.
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #365 on: January 26, 2019, 02:38:29 PM »

Wanted to sleep on it for a few days, but I think I'm going to do Mega Man 6 as my next claim. While I've played it briefly, it's the only NES Mega Man I've never really sunk my teeth into.

Mega man 2, 3, and 6 were the three I played a TON of growing up. We rented 4 and 5 a couple times, and eventually got 1, but I have little memory of the stages when I play through them again nowadays. Mega Man 2 was also the very first video game I ever conquered. Even then, I never did become very skilled at platformer titles...I guess I never developed the patience required or the "Futuresight" so many great platform gamers have. My little brother, on the other hand, became a platforming God.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #366 on: January 26, 2019, 06:05:39 PM »

@EZ Racer - Nice job on Dragon Warrior IV!! That's a really big game so it's pretty encouraging that someone got it done in January already. Pretty funny that the last game on the console was finished first too. I've got a buys weekend and just popped in to update the thread, but I plan to check out your review as soon as I have some spare time son Sunday or Monday, really looking forward to it actually. I really like City Connection. It's one of the most "chill" feeling arcade style games I've ever played. I never really try to get a great score on it, I just find it relaxing to pop in and play until I die. Interested to hear your thoughts on Mega Man 6 too since it tries some pretty unique stuff for the series.

@bombatomba - wish I could offer some tips, but I havn't played Dragon Power myself yet. Good luck!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #367 on: January 26, 2019, 06:22:08 PM »

Beat Street Fighter 2010 today. That last stage is just an adrenaline rush trying to beat all the bosses with enough time left to take on the final boss. I really love this game though its challenging the controls are well done. I wish they would've made a sequel to it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #368 on: January 27, 2019, 06:35:03 PM »

Knocked off 3 game shows today. Double Dare, Jeopardy Jr. Edition, and Hollywood Squares.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #369 on: January 27, 2019, 09:59:06 PM »

Knocked off 3 game shows today. Double Dare, Jeopardy Jr. Edition, and Hollywood Squares.

Man, Double Dare brings back some memories. Never could get every prize at the end. Lol

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #370 on: January 28, 2019, 08:41:01 AM »

We are at 129 games beaten right now. Who's gonna beat the 130th game for us?

If you guys havn't checked it out yet, give EZ Racer's blog entry on his experience with Dragon Warrior IV a quick read. This is exactly one of the intentions of this challenge. To encourage you guys to dig into your backlogs and hopefully find some amazing experiences you've been depriving yourself all these years!

http://www.rfgeneration.c...S-Dragon-Warrior-3871.php

@fokakis79 - nicely done on Street Fighter 2010! I havnt beaten that one yet myself, but I have played it in the past and it seemed quite challenging.

@singlebanana - 3 more in one day, that a boy!

I put several hours into Bard's Tale last night. It's definitely in the Wizardry vein of games, just with a lot more personality/style to it. Rolling characters and starting your adventure were significantly less frustrating that Wizardry was, with that said I've still died a few times as some of the encounters can be very hard. Now that I'm up a few levels I'm able to cast a lot more spells which is helping out quite a bit. Was able to get my front row team setup with some semi-decent equipment and beat the first "boss" in the first dungeon of the game before shutting it down for the day. Not sure how long this game is going to be quite yet, but my gut says it wont take me longer than this week unless there is a crazy spike in challenge or a lot more dungeons that I'm currently unaware of. Havn't been able to find a good grinding spot yet though so that may slow my progress down if I need to do some grinding later on as well.

Had to snap a pic of the previous players characters before I deleted them to start my own. It was hard not to keep quality party members like Butt or Farto, but sacrifices had to be made....

EDIT: All claims and completions up to date!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #371 on: January 28, 2019, 08:42:38 AM »

Yeah, the obstacle course and challenges really suck.  Side note: I had $18,700 going into final Jeopardy, risked $15,000 and missed the question. Ha ha!  Oh well, it's a win.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #372 on: January 28, 2019, 09:56:37 AM »

@singlebanana - Hollywood Squares! So many memories of playing that at my friend's house when we were kids. That, and Anticipation were our go-to casual NES games for when we wanted something that wasn't overly taxing.

It may be a while before I complete G.I. Joe: The Atlantis Factor. That game is more challenging than I bargained for. Holy cow, it's hard. I should have claimed the first game, because it's more fun, and I know I can beat it, because I have before. slick

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #373 on: January 28, 2019, 11:38:45 AM »

Alright crew, 21 more games to reach 150 for the month and only 4 days left!  That's just over 5 games per day. Let's do this!  

Although not claimed and so no one doubles up, I am 5 wins into a Tecmo Bowl season and should have that done soon.

I'm getting pretty frustrated with the cheap antics of Renegade, so I'm going to keep playing it, but drop the claim in case someone else wants to run with it.  Picking up Tecmo Super Bowl as my claim.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 11:40:30 AM by singlebanana » Logged

EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #374 on: January 28, 2019, 07:57:14 PM »

O.K. If I have to redo it to get a one credit clear, I'll have to take more time with it, but did get to the end of Mega Man 6 using continues. While I liked it overall, there are things done well and some things that throw off the balance. I liked how it avoided cheap deaths for the most part, using good game design to help the player learn whats upcoming. For example, in one area there are false floors. The first false floor has no danger present, but it helps set you up for the 2nd and third time, where the fall means instant death. I also like the branching paths that many levels have.

At the same time, it seemed like the challenge was the same for the later levels as it was for the 8 robot masters, in fact I'd go as far as to say I had as much trouble with the Plant Man stage as anything. The other reason I felt like the difficulty flatlined a bit is because the Rush Jet adapter made the more perilous jumps fairly easy to manage, and the one extremely technical section of the game has an alternate path to skip it altogether.

While on the subject of the Rush adapters, it was nice seeing a fresh take on them. But they also caused the biggest annoyance in the game, and probably the series. Everytime you switch to a different Rush adapter, it goes through an animation sequence. Eventually, this becomes disjarring to the gameplay when several switches have to be made.

It may seem like I didn't like MM6. I actually did enjoy it, and would rank it ahead of MM5. I like a lot of the new elements it tried, along with having well-themed enemies and stage environments. It's a solid entry in the Mega Man universe, even if it isn't quite as good as some of the earlier entries in the series.

* 20190128_131701.jpg (447.37 KB, 2560x1440 - viewed 218 times.)

* 20190128_131228.jpg (1164.96 KB, 2560x1440 - viewed 208 times.)
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 97 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length