RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:47:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | RFGen 2019 NES Challenge 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 97 Print
Author Topic: RFGen 2019 NES Challenge  (Read 465548 times)
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1065 on: August 20, 2019, 07:53:59 AM »

@Disposed Hero - a lot of the Zapper games are like that. Very short and not very engaging. Maybe try out Gumshoe, that's one of my favs.

@schlibby - Ferrari is one of the better racers I found. Pretty laid back with some cool tunes. A lot of the others are a bit of a grind.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1066 on: August 20, 2019, 02:43:36 PM »

Beat The Adventures of Rad Gravity. The game has brief periods of decency, but for the most part the game's not easy to play. It's very difficult to not be hit by enemies, power ups and necessary items are well hidden (like behind false walls) and nothing in the game tells you where to go. The final boss is absolutely awful. You need to control your character in space by firing your gun to move, and you need to maneuver in such a way that you get the enemy missile to hit the opposite side of a ship moving across the top of the screen. Took about 10 minutes alone.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1067 on: August 21, 2019, 04:36:23 PM »

Beat The Adventures of Rad Gravity. The game has brief periods of decency, but for the most part the game's not easy to play. It's very difficult to not be hit by enemies, power ups and necessary items are well hidden (like behind false walls) and nothing in the game tells you where to go. The final boss is absolutely awful. You need to control your character in space by firing your gun to move, and you need to maneuver in such a way that you get the enemy missile to hit the opposite side of a ship moving across the top of the screen. Took about 10 minutes alone.

Nice.  I tried this one out a while ago and got absolutely nowhere, lol.

Working on Gauntlet II still.  It isn't terribly hard, just about memorization (since it appears all items are in the same spot), so basically like any other game NES game, lol.  I've been playing a bit of Rollerball on the side, and I can reliably get to about 750k, which is pretty close to the high score.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 04:39:07 PM by bombatomba » Logged

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1068 on: August 21, 2019, 08:18:23 PM »

Do we have a count of people doing this and games left?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1069 on: August 22, 2019, 06:33:35 AM »

I'm back!! Beat Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth tonight and a couple more levels on Prince of Persia.

Wurm was odd. Some really short shmup levels in which you can change the style of ship from a drill to flying to driving on the ground. Then you get some first person stages in which you start by conversing with your crew to get hints about where to shoot the boss. Once you get your % meter to 100% by a combination of dialogue and counter attacks you kill the boss in one hit. Very weird. Each level also had a side scrolling action area that is pretty clunky. The music through the whole game was pretty jamming though!

The combat in Prince of Persia is pretty infuriating. The rest of the game is decent, but the fights are just horrendous!

Do we have a count of people doing this and games left?

Should be 219 games left to beat. We've had 7 members contribute regularly throughout August still, but each month also has a few people come out of the woodwork to help us out with a single title.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1070 on: August 22, 2019, 06:35:51 PM »

This is my top score.

This is the credit sequence.  It took me a while to figure this one out, but it turns out that you have to wait on the title screen after the "game over" and once after the title appears again you get the credit sequence.  Whew!  I was freaking out, wondering if I would have to play another thirty minutes to get the score.  So glad I didn't reset the game!

The game is fun, though there are a few moments on the second screen where the ball does a weird curve on the middle of the board.  Other than that I think this is a solid game, that with a lot of practice was able to keep the ball alive for enough time to learn the board properly.

I might pop into High Speed now in between Gauntlet II runs.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:17:37 PM by bombatomba » Logged

- Han Solo
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1071 on: August 23, 2019, 07:50:03 AM »

Nice job bomba! Good luck with Highspeed, it's another tough one.

I tried to play again tonight, but my setup didn't want to co-operate. Hoping my new AV>HDMi shows up soon!

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #1072 on: August 23, 2019, 09:08:57 AM »

Nope. I cant do it. I can't take any more of Ferrari. Sorry guys. I tried to put some time into it. Restarted the tournament a few times without really getting very far in. This game is so biased towards the player. Its like being repeatedly kicked in the nuts.

Biggest issue is the tyre wear. Any time you go off the track or bump another car it wears your tyres. Extremely quickly the tyres are then "worn" and the car wont go around corners and you cant overtake. Cue more bumps and the tyres get worse. Until you do a pit stop and get them replaced. Only to wear out half a lap later.

Sometimes a car right in front of you will randomly explode. Normally with no chance of getting out of the way. And said exploded car will rapidly zigzag over the track. Touching this car will instantly blow yours up and you loose the race.

Oilslicks are randomly thrown on the track but only affect your car.

The computer has no idea where you are and will drive into you. You always come off the worse for this and it adds to your tyre wear.

Dropping too many places will see you instantly loosing the race. Being too slow on qualifying will see you instantly loosing the race. The aforementioned exploding car will see you instantly loosing the race. If you loose a race you then obviously get 0 points.

The first three drivers are always far far ahead of the others. I swear its impossible to catch them on automatic. Manual gives you about an extra 10kmph top speed!! But its still very hard to catch them cus they have such a lead. And the computer never does pit stops.

Sorry for going on with such a negative review guys but had to get it off my chest.  Undecided

Im sure someone will more skill will be able to pick this up and ace it. But not me. Sad
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1073 on: August 23, 2019, 07:26:19 PM »

Nope. I cant do it. I can't take any more of Ferrari. Sorry guys. I tried to put some time into it. Restarted the tournament a few times without really getting very far in. This game is so biased towards the player. Its like being repeatedly kicked in the nuts.

I started playing it a while back, and while I tend to agree, I was coming off of Formula 1: Built to Win, which if you can believe is waaayy worse in terms of bias against the player (at the upper levels). If Ferrari frustrated you, you definitely should avoid F1: Built to Win for the same reasons.
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1074 on: August 25, 2019, 05:43:47 PM »

I have to say, I think some of the levels in Gauntlet II might be impossible to finish.  I came to this realization after getting stuck on Level 39 of my current run.  I spent more than twenty minutes (and a massive store of my precious health) wandering around, trying to find a solution.  I spent so long that I accidentally discovered the lone cheat in the game, which is when you stand still for a few minutes, all the walls turn to exits.  I think this adds proof to my theory.

What do you guys think?  Personally I think this particular run is bunk and I need to start over, as I already cheated (once the cheat has been activated there is no way to undo it).  But I also need a judgement on this, as far as whether or not this game has some stages that are not possible to complete.  From what I understand, this game does not have a proper ending and loops after stage 999 (!).  I have since also watched a couple of runs, and in all cases the cheat was used.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 07:46:46 PM by bombatomba » Logged

- Han Solo
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1075 on: August 26, 2019, 07:50:27 AM »

@Schlibby - that's too bad. As far as the racers that have pit stops in them I found Ferrari to be the easiest so grasp for myself.

@bombatomba - I can't speak to Gauntlet II unfortunately as I havn't invested much time into it yet. It's been beaten several times over at Nintendoage though and I couldn't find any threads about it being impossible or any issues with stages. I wouldn't exactly call the wall exploit you found something that would negate the run either. Seems like a built in safety net to help a frustrated player. And according to the gamefaqs page it only last for that level and the next one before you have to activate it again should you get stuck.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1076 on: August 26, 2019, 02:20:07 PM »

@bombatomba - I can't speak to Gauntlet II unfortunately as I havn't invested much time into it yet. It's been beaten several times over at Nintendoage though and I couldn't find any threads about it being impossible or any issues with stages. I wouldn't exactly call the wall exploit you found something that would negate the run either. Seems like a built in safety net to help a frustrated player. And according to the gamefaqs page it only last for that level and the next one before you have to activate it again should you get stuck.

Understood.  I haven't turned off Gauntlet II yet so I will just continue, and will have to make it a point to not leave the game on unpaused so the cheat isn't activated again.

On another note, I started Gauntlet I and it is a lot of fun, and probably a better game than part 2 (since a lot of it is original), even though it doesn't look quite as good.

On yet another note, High Speed is uber hard, and a little bit of a letdown after playing the massive tables on Rollerball.  I don't want to officially grab it, though will chip away at it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 11:54:16 AM by bombatomba » Logged

- Han Solo
GravyBread
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #1077 on: August 28, 2019, 04:39:00 PM »

Baseball Simulator 1.000 season is underway! I'm going to start with the 5 game season....that may be all the punishment I can handle.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1078 on: September 02, 2019, 06:56:11 AM »

So my 100 day challenge is definitely a failure at this point. With my vacations interrupting it and my capture setup having issues I just couldn't keep up. Good news I think it's all sorted out and I should be back to playing within a day or two. Anyone else working on anything recently?

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #1079 on: September 02, 2019, 07:10:12 AM »

I’m attempting Werewolf. I’m not gonna claim it though cus it’s meant to be really difficult and I have no skill. But I’m making progress.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 97 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length