RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:35:58 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Phone App barcode search not working. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Phone App barcode search not working.  (Read 3519 times)
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« on: June 21, 2019, 12:40:44 PM »

When I scan a barcode in the app it says no game found.  But when i search the game, the barcode info is correct.  Is this a known issue?

Bildtstar
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
DB Editor
Netherlands

Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 05:28:06 AM »

I had this problem too, it happens when internet and wifi are turned off. Looks like the barcode info of a game isn't stored in the app.

Oh No! More Lemmings Skylanders...
mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 12:06:39 PM »

It's not just when you don't have an internet connection. I've had some games refuse to show up in a barcode scan even with an excellent connection.
bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 04:29:51 PM »

Hey guys,

I've actually been trying to do a fair amount of work on the app recently. One of the things I've had to do is update the target version when compiling as there are now requirements for what version you target, even if the app supports older versions than that on the Play Store. While doing that, I have also been trying to update components and remove deprecated code as well.

When I first took this project over, I had almost no coding experience, but I figured I could get through some of the console updates and minor things well enough so we could get published back on the Play Store. In that time, my job has become mostly coding (Ruby) and using more version control (Git/Github). With those things in mind, I will soon be publishing a link that will allow you and other users to publish proper bug reports so I can use those tools to track changes as well as potentially allow others to assist with bug fixes.

The code that I was originally working with was built for Android 2.3 I believe with support for even older than that. There has been a LOT of changes since then that I'm trying to go through to update. I may get to the point where I offer a beta version on the Play Store for others to assist with testing without having to uninstall the Play Store version first.

EDIT: Speaking of... Just found a way to implement a barcode reader without using an external app... Hopefully I can make some progress in short order.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:28:24 PM by bickman2k » Logged

toze3
DB Reviewer
Portugal

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 06:22:59 AM »

in my case the barcode scan just fails with hardware (confirmed in several phones/android version, and of course the UPC is correct on the DB)

I'm looking foward to get some beta update, and to know what new features are caming (edits?, comments?, more information like variants?, image scrolling?)
bickman2k
Director
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 09:26:48 AM »

in my case the barcode scan just fails with hardware (confirmed in several phones/android version, and of course the UPC is correct on the DB)

I'm looking foward to get some beta update, and to know what new features are caming (edits?, comments?, more information like variants?, image scrolling?)

Some of those things would require some other site development that I am also wanting to begin planning out as well. Just sort of a general updating/modernizing of some things around here. Possibly something I can create for public consumption, but I will have to get some of that together and then discuss with the other directors about how we want to handle that kind of thing.

Bear78
DB Contributor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 11:57:06 AM »

Hey guys,

I've actually been trying to do a fair amount of work on the app recently. One of the things I've had to do is update the target version when compiling as there are now requirements for what version you target, even if the app supports older versions than that on the Play Store. While doing that, I have also been trying to update components and remove deprecated code as well.

When I first took this project over, I had almost no coding experience, but I figured I could get through some of the console updates and minor things well enough so we could get published back on the Play Store. In that time, my job has become mostly coding (Ruby) and using more version control (Git/Github). With those things in mind, I will soon be publishing a link that will allow you and other users to publish proper bug reports so I can use those tools to track changes as well as potentially allow others to assist with bug fixes.

The code that I was originally working with was built for Android 2.3 I believe with support for even older than that. There has been a LOT of changes since then that I'm trying to go through to update. I may get to the point where I offer a beta version on the Play Store for others to assist with testing without having to uninstall the Play Store version first.

EDIT: Speaking of... Just found a way to implement a barcode reader without using an external app... Hopefully I can make some progress in short order.

Awesome to hear man!  Thanks for all the hard work. 

The only suggestion I would recommend is if you could add the ability to see notes on an entry in our collections.  I do use the notes field on some of my stuff but I don't think you can see it anywhere in the app.

As for the barcode scanner, there might be a few things wrong.  First, the barcode obviously has to actually be in the entry in the database.  Second, I believe it has to be formatted correctly (all number / no spaces).  And lastly, I think what the actual barcode scans as vs what numbers are listed don't always match.  I've seen that on CDs before ( I use Discogs for my music collection) where the barcode you scan doesn't match the actual numbers printed on the case.

bickman2k
Director
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 10:12:36 PM »

This topic will be closing as I have created a new topic here: http://www.rfgeneration.c...m/index.php?topic=19084.0

Please use that topic for additional discussion. I would have merged these, but it would have put the oldest message ahead of the one I just created.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length