RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:57:52 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | RF Generation on Google Play 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: RF Generation on Google Play  (Read 20716 times)
bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« on: June 25, 2019, 10:10:24 PM »

The current version is 2.8 released October 13, 2017

What does the app do?
- Syncs your entire collection to your Android device in seconds.
- Searches the site's massive game database as well as your own collection.
- Views basic game information and images
- Add and delete games to/from your collection

What could it do in the future?
- RSS/Front page stories
- Podcast player
- Material Design

From theGrue - Here are some general concepts that are on my road map for future releases (My own comments will follow):
- Collection statistics, like on your profile page
- Advanced search options
- Collection filtering options
- Ability to view more game information fields: https://github.com/bickman2k/RFGeneration/issues/2
- Blog reader - Agreed, would be nice to have.
- Tablet support - Is this something that you all would want/need? The idea I have for an updated (Material Design) app I believe would still look nice on a tablet, but I have an nVidia Shield Tablet K1 8" that I could test with.

Are there any known issues?
Yes! Refactoring code plus updating the code for more modern versions of Android (removing deprecated functions).
If you have an issue to report, please report it on Github here: https://github.com/bickman2k/RFGeneration/issues
This will be used to track issues and show progress via specific branches of the code. As of now, I have been doing a lot of jumping around in the code to fix various things, but that is not going to cut it to really make progress and also allow additional collaboration.

Finally, what's this thread for?
This will be used for some discussion regarding issues and feature requests, announcing new releases, and general discussion.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 08:21:37 AM by bickman2k » Logged

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/bickman2k.png[/img]
Bear78
DB Contributor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 08:08:26 AM »

As I posted in the other thread (and maybe its covered under "Ability to view more game information fields"), I would like to be able to see the comments I add to an entry in my collection in the app.

bickman2k
Director
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 08:21:07 AM »

Enhancement logged for, essentially, view comments added to game in collection.

https://github.com/bickman2k/RFGeneration/issues/2

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/bickman2k.png[/img]
toze3
DB Reviewer
Portugal

Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 08:51:04 AM »

As I posted in the other thread (and maybe its covered under "Ability to view more game information fields"), I would like to be able to see the comments I add to an entry in my collection in the app.
Another point is to be able to edit/move the game/hardware quantities/comments and not just replacing.

PS: Is the github source updated with all previous changes or it's the 2.8 version?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:04:31 AM by toze3 » Logged
bickman2k
Director
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 03:48:58 PM »

Another point is to be able to edit/move the game/hardware quantities/comments and not just replacing.

PS: Is the github source updated with all previous changes or it's the 2.8 version?

Missing a couple of things as the code base I was working with had a lot of changes uncommitted, but I have them locally. As I go through those, the fixes will be back in place.

I have several copies of stuff to go through that should get us to a better place overall. One thing that I think is sticking us a bit is keeping 4.x code. If we could move to 5.x, we could start doing more visual redesign and possibly a smoother transition to using Kotlin.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 03:50:35 PM by bickman2k » Logged

toze3
DB Reviewer
Portugal

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 05:02:37 AM »

Can the description on first post be add to the Google play description? Because is quite poor there, also could be add an image more or screenshot of filters or so to help users to understand the appp.
bickman2k
Director
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 09:11:04 AM »

Can the description on first post be add to the Google play description? Because is quite poor there, also could be add an image more or screenshot of filters or so to help users to understand the appp.

Excellent idea and point! When I released that version, I was literally sitting on WildBil52's couch the night before RetroWorld Expo trying to get it out before the show. It really does need more screenshots and a better explanation.

As a sort of tie-in to that... I have made some pretty good progress with the code. The code refactor to get it updated for the current Gradle version as well as pointing to the target API versions I'm wanting (well, not wanting, but am okay with for the moment...)

I also started to convert some code to Kotlin. Some of the more basic functions that didn't need additional work have been done are converted in another branch.

The other thing I got done was fix an issue that was bugging me from a previous attempt to update the code... The app would crash on every launch in the emulator... Looks to have been a bug in one of the support libraries that is fixed with an alpha release. So... progress?

Beakerman
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 11:55:23 PM »

New bug: Collection Filters doesn't allow me to select anything above Atari 7800 with Console drop down in full screen mode.

These are missing:

Any Console
Atari 2600
Atari 5200

Sent from my ASUS_X017DA using Tapatalk

toze3
DB Reviewer
Portugal

Stats
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 04:19:35 AM »

+1

the first 3 entries will only appear if you have the phone in horizontal
bickman2k
Director
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 09:26:43 AM »

New bug: Collection Filters doesn't allow me to select anything above Atari 7800 with Console drop down in full screen mode.

These are missing:

Any Console
Atari 2600
Atari 5200

+1

I have seen this, but I forgot to log that. The weird thing is that if you tap up where they should be, it will select them I believe? Also, I believe this is somehow fixed in Android Q beta? Still will look in to it, but I need to get some more VMs going to test more versions with.

Also, probably going to bump the API version based on the latest numbers to require Android 4.4 soon. Does anyone have any objections? The next jump will be to require Android 5.0 so we can get a Material Design theme going. Might just start a separate branch for that work in general...

toze3
DB Reviewer
Portugal

Stats
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 04:44:35 AM »

These are missing:

Any Console
Atari 2600
Atari 5200

+1

I have seen this, but I forgot to log that. The weird thing is that if you tap up where they should be, it will select them I believe? Also, I believe this is somehow fixed in Android Q beta? Still will look in to it, but I need to get some more VMs going to test more versions with.

Also, probably going to bump the API version based on the latest numbers to require Android 4.4 soon. Does anyone have any objections? The next jump will be to require Android 5.0 so we can get a Material Design theme going. Might just start a separate branch for that work in general...

No problem here, but please let the other older versions available and working.

Bear78
DB Contributor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 09:07:25 AM »

I'm all for getting on newest versions of things.   I'm currently on Android 8.0

mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 01:16:03 PM »

While my old phone is on Jelly Bean (4.3), my current one is on Oreo (8.0), so I'd be ok with that.
RobotWillie
Don't You Know Blackmail is Way Uncool
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 03:32:03 PM »

While my old phone is on Jelly Bean (4.3), my current one is on Oreo (8.0), so I'd be ok with that.

I said in another topic earlier about the App that mine is a brand called Bold Like Us and is about... I guess maybe 3-4 years old now. Probably 4. Can't remember if I got it in 2015 or 16. And the Android version is like 5 so I should be fine. But I think that is what it is, 5, nothing higher than that. But I do want to get a new phone next year probably. I am not a phone person, I hate spending money on them, I'd rather get games. And phone games are not an interest to me really. But the RF App is one of the best things about my phone!

Voodoo Monkey
Donor

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 09:40:51 PM »

@bickman2k

First off, wanted to thank you for continuing to support and improve this app.
I use it almost daily and have come to rely on it when looking for games at thrift stores.

I noticed today that games I knew I had were not appearing in my collection on the app, even though they were appearing in my collection on the RFGen website.

Then I noticed this message under my collection folder icon on the app...
"Last synced on 8/13/18 at 1:10pm".
I see a refresh button next to each folder.  When I hit that I get the "loading" animation in the upper right hand corner of the app.
That animation doesn't stop unless I back out of the app.

I tried logging out of the app in the hope that it would perform a sync on log in, but it didn't.

Any idea what happened?  I'm on a older phone (Samsung Galaxy S6). 

Any thoughts on what i'm doing wrong are appreciated.  Like I said, I LOVE this app and use it all the time.

Hungry for the Chievos!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length