RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:59:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | August 2019 Playthrough - Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: August 2019 Playthrough - Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair  (Read 20163 times)
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2019, 07:35:47 PM »

I also feel that basically everything that happens between chapter 1 and chapter 5 doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Honestly, I believe that anyone could get a general idea of the story and conclusion of the game by only playing the prologue, watching chapter 0, and completing chapter 6. Meaning that everything that occurs in Chapter 1 - 5 is really just filler that will tease some plot points that don't get revealed until the end of the game and to build relationships between the characters and the player.

Thanks for sharing this. Being that I am only just starting chapter 3, this is disheartening and relieving at the same time. I am playing every day and talking to Rich about our recording schedule today, it looks like I have at least two weeks to push through and finish the game. The sentiment that only the beginning and end of the game are of any consequence is understandable, and makes me feel less guilty about scrubbing through tons of dialogue with the circle button. 

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2019, 07:39:55 AM »

I also feel that basically everything that happens between chapter 1 and chapter 5 doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Honestly, I believe that anyone could get a general idea of the story and conclusion of the game by only playing the prologue, watching chapter 0, and completing chapter 6. Meaning that everything that occurs in Chapter 1 - 5 is really just filler that will tease some plot points that don't get revealed until the end of the game and to build relationships between the characters and the player.

Thanks for sharing this. Being that I am only just starting chapter 3, this is disheartening and relieving at the same time. I am playing every day and talking to Rich about our recording schedule today, it looks like I have at least two weeks to push through and finish the game. The sentiment that only the beginning and end of the game are of any consequence is understandable, and makes me feel less guilty about scrubbing through tons of dialogue with the circle button.  

I only kind of agree with this. The ending wouldn't be nearly as impactful without all the loss, bonding and trials along the way. It's a huge part of how the remaining characters are able to make important decisions that affect the conclusion. But in the same vein you could probably cut out 2 chapters in the middle and still have a similar impact there.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2019, 08:48:54 AM »

I only kind of agree with this. The ending wouldn't be nearly as impactful without all the loss, bonding and trials along the way. It's a huge part of how the remaining characters are able to make important decisions that affect the conclusion. But in the same vein you could probably cut out 2 chapters in the middle and still have a similar impact there.

I can definitely agree with you on this point Crabby. The ending would feel hollow without all of the the events that fall in between the beginning and the ending. The moments of loss and bonding between the character and player add a lot of emotion to the trials and the ending of the game to really drive the story home. However, I really think that this all depends on the attitude of the player. If someone is invested in the game they aren't going to fly through the dialogue sequences and story elements, because they want to get the most fulfilling ending. For those who aren't as invested and just want to get through the game, the stuff in the middle doesn't matter as much as long as they can get to the ending where the story is explained.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2019, 11:22:07 AM »

I can definitely agree with you on this point Crabby. The ending would feel hollow without all of the the events that fall in between the beginning and the ending. The moments of loss and bonding between the character and player add a lot of emotion to the trials and the ending of the game to really drive the story home. However, I really think that this all depends on the attitude of the player. If someone is invested in the game they aren't going to fly through the dialogue sequences and story elements, because they want to get the most fulfilling ending. For those who aren't as invested and just want to get through the game, the stuff in the middle doesn't matter as much as long as they can get to the ending where the story is explained.

Well said

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2019, 07:56:56 AM »

Just finished Chapter 4 last night. Was out of town for a soccer tournament this weekend and managed to grind it out while my wife drove and a little at night.  As usual, I thought that the murder scenario was well done, but I still feel like the game is way too padded to increase the length.  Though the timeline is easier to put together than it was in D:THH, it's kind of annoying and useless. Plus, if you fail, I assume that you get the end game like you did in the original. After you finish it, someone explains the entire murder scenario again, and then there's the voting (which you don't even really participate in) that is super drawn out.  I just feel as though these games could be streamlined; instead of all the fluff, add more murder scenarios to make it longer.  

Overall, I am still enjoying this game, but I am feeling the fatigue sitting in and just want it done.  I think a big part of my issue is the same that others of you are having. Even though I played the first game a year ago, I still feel like it was too soon to jump into another one of these games.  For anyone playing the series, I'd probably recommend stretching them out over a two year time. I know that sounds kind of ridiculous, but it's the only way I can see to keep it enjoyable with all the looping dialogue and fluff.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 08:01:00 AM by singlebanana » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2019, 07:58:16 AM »

Ran through the Island mode twice in the last few days. It says it's possible to beat it on the first attempt, but I wasn't even close on my first try. I didn't realize the entire main game that you could spend the Hope Fragments to unlock abilities to help you out in the trials!! Some of these would have been awesome.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2019, 11:17:53 AM »

Oh yeah, those abilities are pretty great Crabby, especially the sword sharpening ones and the ones that slow the text down.

Well, I finally hit the third checkpoint last night and finished Chapter 5.  I thought that the Chapter 4 puzzle (The Funhouse) was pretty well done, but again, there was still a lot of fluff and I felt that this might have been the longest Chapter so far. Chapter 5 was a little more compact, but on the whole, uninteresting....even with the "big" revelation of the traitor.  I kind of got an idea in Chapter 5 of where the story might be headed, but I could be completely wrong. To avoid any possible spoilers, I will tag my thoughts below:

Spoiler (hover to show)

Anyway, I'm going to try and finish up in the next few days. Will be glad to have this one wrapped up.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2019, 12:29:32 PM »

Question of the Month (Answer before Saturday for street cred):

In the Danganronpa series, the mascot is Monokuma, a homicidal teddy bear. Are there any mascots that terrified you as a child, or are even unsettling to you today?

Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2019, 05:44:30 PM »

This is more of a current issue, but the current rendition of the Burger King King bothers me a lot. The idea of a mute, dead eyed, big plastic headed king following and watching people eat really bothers me haha.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length