RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:18:03 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | October 2020 Shmup Club - Darius Twin 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: October 2020 Shmup Club - Darius Twin  (Read 10484 times)
zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2020, 11:31:57 AM »

Got the clear on the ACDFIKL route today. But still not a new PB.

https://youtu.be/xhdNJ0ccMGk

« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 11:34:35 AM by zoydo » Logged

TOB
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2020, 09:30:25 AM »

Awesome work, zoydo! I suspect before the end of the month, we'll see a new PB, as well as you completing all the routes Grin

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2020, 09:32:13 AM »

Good job so far everyone!

I just realized this game was published by Mattel according to MetalFRO's picture there. Huh??? Are there different versions of the box? I don't see other boxes like that.

That was just the cleanest box art I could find. Mattel handled publishing for the game in Australia, though Taito self-published it in North America, and presumably, in Japan.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2020, 11:20:35 PM »

New PB, and I got farther this evening!

* Darius Twin 02_small.jpg (165.06 KB, 1008x756 - viewed 280 times.)

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2020, 10:03:12 PM »

I managed to up my score a bit, and hit the boss rush! There's some definite boss cheesing you can do in a few places, including the boss rush, so be aware that some of the bosses can be beaten quite easily with smart positioning.

* Zone A boss, you just need to avoid that initial straight bullet of the 3 spread, then stay centered with the boss and keep firing, and repeat when it shoots the 2nd spread of 3.
* Zone B, concentrate on the Fossil Queen (pink fish), and when she stops firing, move around her bullets up to the top of the screen, and you should be able to get the Fossil King (green fish) with your diagonal lasers.
* Zone C, stay low, and as soon as the boss fires its pincer at you, move up, and fire at its eye. When it retracts the claw, move forward and down, to avoid the bullet spread, and use your diagonal weapon to do damage. Rinse and repeat.
* Zone E, the "lobster" boss, you can literally stay at the top of the screen, and your your diagonal weapon to shoot its head. You just need to avoid the claws it throws at you, which you should be able to destroy after 2 or 3 volleys, then just stay up top near the center and keep blasting until it goes down.
* Zone G, the turtle boss, you can stay at the top, and just move back and forth to avoid running into the smaller turtles, and use your diagonal weapon to shoot at its head, while also fending off the small turtles that way. And while you're cheesing that boss, you'll milk some additional score out of that boss, as you're taking out the small turtles.

* Darius Twin 03_small.jpg (225.24 KB, 1008x756 - viewed 261 times.)

Corkman
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2020, 07:21:22 PM »

Here's my personal best. I'm doing the upper route. No clear yet. Got completely obliterated by the mini boss rush a couple of times. Need to practice that.

@MetalFro, I got you by only 5900 points, ha!  I bet you will pass that on your next runs so I'll have to keep at it!

* IMG_2553.jpg (88.92 KB, 640x480 - viewed 290 times.)

Do not pursue Lu Bu!
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2020, 10:02:25 AM »

Haha, that's hilarious! I'm hoping to jump back in this evening for a stream, so I'm hopeful I can find a groove and get the top path 1CC Smiley

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2020, 06:27:46 AM »

Started to get a bit into scoring yesterday.

As MEtalFro already mentioned you can milk some of the bosses. The Turtle - Boss seems to be the most efficient.
I tried milking the coronatus boss too, but it's not worth the effort i think.

You can also milk the Super Alloy Lantern Boss in L-Zone during it's final phase, when he shoots the little piranhas at you.

TOB
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2020, 08:55:27 AM »

Great score, zoydo! I haven't managed to clear it yet, due to that dumb crab mini-boss, and that final zone just gives me a bit of trouble. I'm very close, though.

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2020, 03:18:49 PM »

@MetalFro: thank you. Keep pushing! The crab miniboss seems to be the worst  enemy in the game...i die at least one time at one of them, either in stage 4 or in the final zone. Cheesy

btw. I did some experimenting with the final zone today. I wanted to know if it pays off to shoot the minibosses (or at least some of them) instead of hiding in the upper right corner.
But the more enemies you shoot, the more appear. I stacked up two crabs and a shark at once today, which is kind of nightmarish (the shark miniboss doesn't even appear when you use the safe spot). To me it just seems impossible to get a proper way to this zone without using the safe spot. If i tried to find a route or strategy some enemy crashed into me, coming out of nowhere. It just seems totally random (even though i know nothing in shmups is random) and it's nearly impossible to find a rhythm. Anyhow the score you get by shooting the enemies doesn't seem to be worth the effort.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 03:23:27 PM by zoydo » Logged

TOB
FauxMacho
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2020, 12:52:27 PM »

My apologies that I haven't posted, but I've been playing.
I've enjoyed steady improvement, and I've reached the last stage boss rush, but I fear it will be a wall for me for a while.
2,767,800 is my best for now.

I played a lot of the original arcade Darius last year, and I like the iterative improvements that this console sequel (?) has: mostly that there's no power down punishment for death, but the bosses are a bit more fun too.

* Ekygf7jUUAALJEl.jpg (88.69 KB, 1280x720 - viewed 235 times.)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2020, 10:28:50 AM »

Great score, FauxMacho! That boss rush is quite a pain, for sure. Remember, you can sit at the very top or very bottom of the screen to avoid the angelfish wave attacks, and then move around when necessary, to avoid other enemies. I haven't quite managed to get the clear yet, either, but I'm confident I can pull it out before the end of the month!

Corkman
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2020, 01:54:48 PM »

That last level boss rush is brutal!

But, I finally cleared it and the whole game! Grin 

ABDEGJL upper route. The boss rush is much harder than the last boss.

Interestingly, my score isn't as good as my previous score. How many points do you get with that weapon downgrade in Zone J?

Going to try the lower routes now.

* darius clear score.jpg (86.78 KB, 575x480 - viewed 260 times.)

Do not pursue Lu Bu!
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2020, 10:57:33 AM »

Very nice! I'm not sure about the weapon change power-up, and how many points it offers, I haven't watched the score. I might have to check last night's run, and see if that shows. But that's probably not a big enough gain to make a huge difference. I've found that milking points from destructible boss projectiles helps, as is making sure you're taking out every last popcorn enemy. The more aggressive you are, it seems like there are extra enemy waves that you can have the game spawn, which gives you even more opportunity to score points. So it seems like every stage has between 1 & 3 additional enemy waves you can potentially spawn, if you take stuff out quickly. That's been my observation, at least. As you know, that stupid crab miniboss is still the thorn in my side, but I'm close!

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2020, 11:42:00 AM »

I promise I plan on playing some this month, but my sd2snes died.  So I have to go through my snes games, they are not in order and I haven't had time to search the pile.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length